Loctite!?!?

OK MOST REPLIES TWO(RECORD SETTING) HAS ME TYPING IN CAPS SO DONT BE MAD!
I ORDERED NEW BEARINGS FROM UNICYCLE.COM AND THEY SHOULD BE ARRIVING ANY DAY NOW. I THINK ILL BE ABLE TO GET THE OLD ONES OFF, BUT I WAS WONDERING WHICH LOCTITE TO USE TO PUT THE NEW BEARINGS ON. I ORDERED A .5 ML BOTTLE OF LOCTITE RED, NOT KNOWING I HAD A GOO QUANTITY OF LOCTITE ALREADY AND KNOW I’D NEED SOME. THE LOCTITE I HAVE IS:
1OZ-LOCTITE 416-SUPERBONDER
10ML-LOCTITE 242 THREADLOCKER
0.5 ML LOCTITE RED

WHICH SHOULD I USE TO ADHERE THE BEARINGS TO THE HUB? I THINK THATS WHAT IM SUPPOSED TO DO RIGHT? I THINK I WANT THE BEARING’S MIDDLE PART TO STAY STILL ON THE HUB SO THAT IT CAN MOVE RELATIVE TO THE FRAME AS THE WHEEL MOVE. AGAIN, IM I CORRECT OR A DUMB@$$?

609 green is the bearing retaining compound that you should use. You will need a bearing remover if you ever wish to remove them again.

Re: Loctite!?!?

That most replies thread has become a pestilence upon our great community here. :angry:

:slight_smile:

Use the Loctite to secure the bearing on a cotterless hub (your standard square taper variety). If you have a splined hub you don’t need it because the bearings are squeezed between the spacers.

The purpose of the Loctite is to keep the bearing from sliding sideways (out towards the crank) on the hub.

Unicycle.com has the 609 bearing retainer which will do the job. You can also use high strength sleeve retainer. You can find the sleeve retainer at many auto parts stores like NAPA. I use the 640 High Strength Sleeve Retainer because I can buy it locally. Either one will work. Use whichever you can get.

I don’t know if you could get by with using the red high strength threadlocker. The threadlocker is slightly different than the sleeve retainer. The sleeve retainer is thicker, designed to fill larger gaps, and has a different holding strength. I really don’t know how well the red threadlocker would do as a substitute.

I was the official record breaker, poster of post #1000 and post #1078 (last most replys thread got 1077)

Actually, you could use a little bit of toothpaste. It’s the poor man’s Loctite 242. I’ve used it to hold on loose cranks, and it works great.

Although I’ve never worked on bearings, so I don’t know how that would work…