Learning Journal

Stretching before bedtime. A hot bath before stretching is really great if you can. And increasing your overall water intake daily. A good, though lofty goal, is to divide your body weight in half and try to drink that many ounces per day. Do you take in foods or supplements with more electrolytes, particularly potassium?

Potassium deficiency is supposed to be one cause of leg cramps. Both bananas and “Emergenc-C” drink have potassium in them and may be helpful. Most rehydration drinks have potassium, but I try to avoid ones with lots of calories.

I will occasionally take an advil before bed if I think I overdid it that day. It does not specifically help leg cramps, but it may ease general aches and pains.

Scott

Thanks!

Thanks for the cramp advice Scott ttocs and NSYO. You have reinforced some things I have been told in the past. Interestingly, I have just started the Emergen-C in the last week, but I was not thinking about it for cramps. Come to think of it, the cramps do seem to be less severe this week even though the exercising has been bumped up a bit. Thanks for ALL of the advice. I need to be more consistant with actually DOING all of that, especially the stretching and keeping up with the water intake.

freemount practice

Quote from NSYO:
57UR–on your static mount, what is the position of your pedals? From your post it sounds like they are at 6 & 12 (clock position), which would explain why you need to do a back pedal first. If your starting position is closer to 3 & 9 (assuming your right foot is back) then your back foot would be at somewhere between 3 & 4 and you should be able to just jump/step up onto the front pedal at 9 or 10. I don’t know if I misunderstood your post, or if any of this is making sense. I hope so! But in your last post you said you had 5 mounts, and your description is similar to my mount where the wheel is not completely static, but there is some forward motion.

(How do you get the quote in the little box. When I pressed the quote button it did not do what I thought it would, so I started over and did a cut and paste.)

Actually, according to what I read, my starting position for the freemount seems backwards in every way from what most people are explaining.

My right foot is VERY dominant, but I seem to need to let that foot do the jumping and forward push on the front pedal, because that’s how I start rolling almost 100% of the time (even from a standing wall mount), and that’s what feels comfortable. I know I should practice starting the ride with the other foot, but I always want to just GO.

For the freemount the wheel is not at 6 and 12, but more like you describe. Even with the top pedal already forward, my right foot (the jumping foot) seems to automatically pull the wheel back under me. The slight roll forward helped that a lot. I also have to keep reminding myself not to put weight on the left foot while I roll and jump at the same time.

If the foot on the back pedal is slightly up, is that 4 (maybe 5) or is that 8 (maybe 7)? I’m having difficulty figuring out which way the “clock” is facing. Is the front of the clock around to my left, or to my right?

I am practicing the freemount between two counters that are about elbow high. (I want to get the mount down fairly consistently before I try it out in the open. I’m tired of landing on my tail bone and, to be honest, I’m a bit afraid of breaking the thing - the tail bone. My luck has held up so far, but somewhere back in this thread, I read about somebody breaking their tail bone. I don’t need or want THAT.) So… The counters are close enough that, yesterday, I think I would have had a few more successful attempts, but I ran into the counter. Three successful attempts yesterday, compared to 5 the day before. Today I will have more time, so I should get some better results.

I’m not falling off when I’m just riding. I have a good, smooth dismount off the back almost 100%. When I start learning something new, then I start falling again. I know that’s the way it is, but if I can keep that from happening, I will feel a lot better about it. Thus… the counter practice for the freemount.

Thanks everyone!
This is not only my favorite thread…
it’s my favorite place on the entire internet!!!

And avoid alcohol…sorry to be a killjoy but it really dehydrates.I know someone who’s awake and pacing around all night with cramps after only one dram :astonished:

Hi Martha, You have probably read this topic: EASY freemount for Newbies really works!
I learned to freemount with the tyre grab method descibed here and can recomend it… Have fun, Joseph.

tire grab

Thanks jojoxie. I have pondered the tire grab option. I can’t imagine how anyone could tire grab mount a 20" or even a 24". On my few feeble attempts, I am leaning so far over (to grab the tire) there is no way I could actually jump up into a rolling position while still holding the tire. I watched (the girl who is so good at that… can’t remember her name) and thought it was neat, but I think she was on a much bigger tire.

Can you really do a tire grab on a 20 or 24? I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks!

Here’s my version: http://vimeo.com/12389076
As you can see I am right footed and hold the tyre with my left hand. I start with the right pedal at 6 o’clock and roll the wheel to 9 o’clock as I lean forward to grab the tyre. once the tyre is held firmly the uni won’t go anywhere allowing the left foot to find the pedal. Only letting go of the tyre when ready, It’s easy to bail at this point if for any reason you are unhappy.
I learnt with a support to my right but only grabbing it at the last moment (if at all). It took around half an hour to learn (on firm grass) and I’m a slow learner. I learnt on the 24 but the next day was able to do the same on the 20. When you lean forward to grab the tyre you are in the ideal position to ride forward. Good luck.

Press the quote-button on the post you want to quote. The text will begin with [ QUOTE=57UniRider;1441745 ] and end with [ /QUOTE ] (without the blanks).

Same here. I cannot figure the clock-thingy out either.

Best regards,
Sanne

Orange Juice is extremely high in potassium. I can’t drink it before bed due to reflux, but any other time is great. I usually have OJ and a banana or two every day.

Slim Fast (or generic brand) is also high in potassium. I use it as a meal supplement not a meal replacement, and it is great when you are exercising a lot.

On the quote thing, it is as Sanne said. I just keep only the parts that I want to quote between the opening and closing ‘tags’, not the whole quoted post. Also if you want to do multiple quotes from different posts you can click the little icon right next to the “Reply” button that has a little piece of paper with a big double quote on it. You can select as many of these as you want, then when you click “Reply” anywhere all of them will show up in your edit page. Make sense?

Mounting: The tire grab is fun for bigger wheels (I use it sometimes on the Muni 26, especially on uphill mounts, and sometimes on the 36er), but is pretty hard on a 24 and even harder on a 20 so I don’t even try to use it.

My left foot is the stationary one and I step up onto the other pedal with my right foot. Sounds like what you are doing 57UR, is that right? So my left foot is back with the pedal a little below the level position and the right pedal is forward a little above level. As I lean and step/jump up to the forward pedal I let the wheel roll forward a little so that when my foot lands on the pedal it is about level. If it is below level when your foot hits it then start with the back pedal a little lower. I also always make sure that the pedal itself is aligned with the crank arm so that I have the best chance of getting my foot in just the right position. Nothing worse than bad foot position! And it seems that getting on, with both feet in good position, is one of the hardest things to master. Hope this makes sense and helps.

Great video jojoxie! What a beautiful area to live in :slight_smile: You ride very smoothly.

57UR - what I was trying to describe in the last post is what jojoxie does in the video minus the tire grab, and with my feet opposite his.

I thought 46 was getting a little ‘old’ to learn the unicycle, but it is clear from you two, and several others that we hear from here on this thread, that it is still pretty young ;). You are an inspiration to me! Gotta love it :smiley:

I second NSYO: What a beautiful area in your video, jojoxie! I’d have to work on my flexibility before I can do a tire-grab mount. Nice job.

Went for the mile today, didn’t quite make it. Stopped more than I wanted, took a few seconds rest each time. There’s a small uphill/downhill section, did ok downhill, not so well uphill. Most of it is a long sidewalk, so I had to keep her straight, with a few swerves to avoid broken glass. Had a lot of trouble mounting on the uphill. Thought about practicing turns back at home, but my legs died right before I got there.

Positive Points :slight_smile:

1. Finally attempted the mile. It’s off my little street, so more public exposure to riding and falling.
  2. Made my first seat adjustment. It was quite minor, but it involved grabbing the handle and a quick swish with the buttocks.
  3. Stayed within the confines of the sidewalk width. I never felt like I was going to lose control and go off on either side.

Points to Work On:

1. Foot position on the pedal, especially the left. I start with the right stationary, and jump the left.
  2. Sitting down more.

Not quite a victory in distance, but a victory in spirit!

Cramps, Hand Mount, etc

Thanks everyone for the cramp advice. I am trying to put all of your suggestions to work, and I have had fewer cramps this week. THANKS! I especially think the emergen-C has been helpful, and the stretching… and liquids. BTW, jojoxie, I’m practically a 100% teetotaler, so alchohol won’t be a problem.

Jojoxie! Way to go on that wheel mount! I’ve watched your procedure over and over again. It doesn’t look like you are leaning over all that much, but when I try it I feel like I am practically standing on my head, and there’s no way I could get on the wheel from that position. However, my attempts this week have all been on the 20". Maybe it will work better on the 24". Freemounting the 20" is progressing with the rolling mount. I guess it’s a rolling mount even though I am not rolling very far. I’m starting with my left foot on the back wheel at about 5 and rolling forward to put my right foot on the front pedal at about 10 (or maybe 9). I have found that if I start with the left pedal low (around 5) I have more luck than if the left back pedal is at 4 or higher. I’m making progress. Yesterday I didn’t get much practice, but Thursday I did over 20 successful freemounts. :slight_smile: I’m pretty sure I will be free of support SOON! Then I can really get down to conquering that distance challenge.

Happy Saturday! I LOVE Saturdays!!!

Me too:D:D

I do free mount the same as you do, my dominant foot is right foot but I use it to jump during the free mount (contrary to what the tutorial says that the dominant foot should be on the back pedal.) So I make sure that the pedals are horizontal, my left foot on the back pedal and the seat in between my thighs. I always make sure that my right foot is about 1 foot away from the back of the wheel then I would jump up the unicycle just enough that the seat post is vertical (but it is better when you jump up more than less IMO because if you jump up more you will just fall down in front and you have the chance to counter act this when your right foot is already on the front pedal but if you jump less you might fall down backwards and if your not fast enough, you’ll end up with your tail bone. It happened to me once! :astonished: ) It might help also if you hold on the seat handle for better control then once your up, you can remove your hand to help you balance and I like to look at the ground about 5 feet in front of me as I mount as well, helps you keep your balance as you’re starting. courtesy of Dane M :slight_smile: You might want to see this video too. Its a nice tutorial only the foot placement are different on me.
I hope this one helps :slight_smile:

TWO. Count them. TWO tire grab mounts!

Jojoxie!! Did you say you got the tire grab in about half an hour. NOT ME! But I did mange to do a whole TWO on the 24" today. :astonished: I’m not sure how long I practiced, but it seemed like an hour.

Interestingly, I AM getting the free mount (no tire grab) on the 20" at work during the week. I practice the 24" at home mostly on the weekends. I haven’t been able to do a successful (no tire grab) free mount on the 24" even with quite a bit of practice. I can’t seem to get high enough and keep my balance long enough to ride off. Since I actually DID 2 successful tire grabs, maybe that’s the way to go with the 24 inch.

THANKS Jojoxie!!
My next goal is to freemount the 24" and make a video. Yours is wonderful!

After that, inspired by Animal Cage, I plan to start “measuring distance in miles! …even if it is a fraction of a mile!” Go Animal Cage!

Thanks to ALL!
Unicycling is fun, but it’s even MORE fun with this bunch!
Thanks NSYO! :slight_smile:

Thanks Ru60hz! Helpful Video!

AMAZING!!! Trying to get my brother-in-law hooked, letting him idle while holding on to his car. At one point he got about 3 feet! Said he might want one after his Harley is paid off. So I got on and tried to explain other tricks that I can’t do, like hopping, which I’ve never tried. I held on to his car, and said, “Pedals at 3 and 9, grab the handle, and hop like a pogo stick…” I let go of the car, hopped four times, then rode out of it and down the street!!! I was in SHOCK! Felt so good, I turned, rode onto the grass and did a victory faceplant.

Pogo Stick?

Now you have ME wanting to try it. I haven’t read up on hopping, and I hadn’t thought of it as a pogo stick. I was GOOD on a pogo stick when I was a kid. Wore out three of them. I’ll be trying that today! Way to go AnimalCage!