Lasco Cranks

I’ve had the Lasco Cranks for about a month and a half as I’ve been learning. I broke one today. It snapped about 1/4 of the way from the hub to the pedal.
It seems not to have bent at all. It just gave all the sudden and clanged across the ground. :frowning:

Funny thing is I wasn’t doing any drops. I was riding one footed(well… attempting to). Perhaps the extreme cold of Rochester contributed some to this breakage.

Overall, I haven’t done many drops. Lots 2’ and under drops and 3’ a few times, but nothing more than that.

So it they might be good for some people(beginners), but the semi-stressful riding I was doing was too much for these cranks. I wouldn’t suggest them to anyone wanting to do anything extreme.

They are the 140mm ones that came with my Monty trials Suzue wheelset before the Monty cranks started being on it. And now apparently cranks made by Dotek come with it.

I would put it a tad harsher than Zim

These cranks suck, dont buy them! I had mine for not too long and I loved them when they were in one peice, I just started to pratice doing bigger drops and gaps and then I tried a 3.5-4 foot drop off of a planter and I shattered one into 3 peices. There was no notice for the failure besides the break. I had my brother and a few of his friends look at the cranks because they are engineers and like to find out why stuff breaks. Well as I was pointed out by them my cranks had an air bubble in them due to a poor job in the casting process. From what was said about Zim’s cranks in the main forum this could have been the problem with his as well.

I currently ride on Bicycle Euro 125’s and although they are a bit sort of my liking, they still are in one peice after repeted abuse by myself and thats more than I can say for the lasco’s.

These cranks might be ok if your not going to do any trials at all, but if you are even concidering it look elsewhere and do yourself a favor.

I give these cranks 2 out of 10. Just better that total crap, but not much.

On my opinion it’s better to break a crank than the hub. Hubs cost a lot and hard to get hold off. At least in here, but a local BMX, DH -bike shop sells cranks. You can buy just one or as many as you like and he has quite a many models. They don’t even have gears attached like in those normal cranks that come in pairs. They cost between 15-40€ a piece.
Still, if a crank breaks because of a failure in casting process.

the thing that is bad about breaking cranks is that when they brake it can potentially be very very dangerous. Lasco’s tend to fracture at one part leaving a sharp and jagged piece of alloy that is in the right location for you to impail your leg on.

Bending a hub is alot harder to do than bending some steel cranks. And you can replace them for 12 lbs probably…

Personally I got fed up with bending cranks so I eventually got some profiles. Havent had a problem since.

Chex

[QUOTE]
[i]Originally posted by

I currently ride on Bicycle Euro 125’s and although they are a bit sort of my liking, they still are in one peice after repeted abuse by myself and thats more than I can say for the lasco’s.

I agree, Euros are great if you are just riding hard, and they are inexpensive. Heavy? yes, but so what?

If you buy Lascos, make sure you get a park’s crank puller so you can get the blasted things off to throw them away! carjug