Koxx XTP

Go Sponge, you tell them boy :stuck_out_tongue:

Peter M

ahaha nice one sponge.

Btw is the new XTP2 in black gonna be any better? they gonna up the aluminium quality on that?

Doubt it, considering the black ones are the same as the silver XTP2 just a different colour. For their top frame, they might as well use the best possible aluminium their brand can get… luckily as they are Koxx, they can use the K-Alone alloy if they really wanted to, which is the same alloy used for the NEW 2007 XTP bike frames. 6061 has a low ultimate tensile strength compared to K-Alone or 7005.

I don’t really get what K-Alone alloy is.

Enlightenment anyone?

Presumably it’s a patented alloy that Koxx have seen fit to put a trademark name on as a selling point. Koxx’s website suggests it has a higher ultimate tensile strength but a lower elastic limit than other common frame alloys, apparently it “will not tolerate unnecessary shocks and badly timed riding” maybe it’s not such a great idea to use it on unis, maybe something like the 7005 Kris uses would be more appropriate, I understand KH frame breakages have been reasonably infrequent.

like 3 have broken I think

like 3 have broken I think

in response to K-Alone… it is indeed a patented trade name for an alu alloy Koxx use for some of their bike frames.

On a chart… it shows 6061, 7005, 6066 (which is Ultra 6), and K-Alone… and in that same order goes the ultimate high tensile strenght rating.

No aluminium alloys will take ‘badly timed shocks’ or whatever Koxx said… for i think their statement which Dave quoted above is a little confusing. If the aluminium alloys comparison chart is reliable, then K-Alone is good for unis… I mean think about it: biketrials takes similar shocks to unicycling so if K-Alone can work for the bikes, then it would definitely be alright for unis.

If K-Alone is too pricey for a uni frame, then 7005 or going to Ultra 6 (6066) alloy wouldn’t hurt.

6061 is strong enough if the peices are thick enough and you have a good construction and design. i have a custom one that failed because of the design of it. 2 holes and welded on both sides would have made it hold. it was just welded on top

to be fair to koxx the unkown person breaking them, he is amazing. And ryan atkins broke a KH20 frame no one says a thing about that…

The unkown rider is probably the closest person to ryan atkins in skills and so its not surprising they are breaking frames no ?

I mean has anyone else actually broken an XTP frame? well yoggie probably has trunk loads in his garden LOL, but i’m not sure many have.

Yes off the top off my head I could think of Joe, Ryan and one of the muni guys in Santa Barbra. These could well be the three roughest equipment users in the world so that makes it virtually unbreakable for joe average.

To be frank I’m amazed that Koxx are doing their own metallurgy, I would have thought these materials would have been dreamt up long ago. The trouble with using UTS as a measure of strength is that it occurs in the elastic regieme, it tells you how much force the frame will take before it snaps, but gives no indication of how much it will deform before it reaches this limit. It also ignores high cycle crack growth. Ergh material science is far too complicated.

why is it such a tight weight race?

Because if one manafacturer can think up a way of saving weight, the other probably can too. It suggests that either the designs are approaching the optimum or both parties lack new ideas, and I doubt it’s the later.

I think they should woriie more about strenth

more about strength?

A strong unicycle frame is easy. Its just a heavy CRMO one. KH did the black steel ones and Koxx have done the devil frames.

I don’t think anyone has broken either unless it had a manufacturing defect or was bashed completely wrong.

I think the problem is with a unicycle frame is that its so simple its pretty hard to have a new idea… I mean koxx tried to CNC their crown which was a good laugh, but the price just ain’t reasonable. Plus they’re not even using the best Aluminium (I dont know about this but maybe they are using 6006 aluminium because the CNC machien they are using wont cut 6066 or 7005 ?)

It’s a balancing act and each manafacturer trys to find the balance point that sells most uni. I haven’t heard of much of the modern KH stuff breaking to be honest, it seems like they’re getting it about right.

Ah, the age old question…strength vrs weight.

Funny, in biketrials a number of years ago the entire market went through the weight weenie stuff. I had seen 26" wheeled bikes under 20 pounds, and 20" wheeled ones under 17 pounds. There was alot of drilling, machining and other silliness to get bikes to where the Elite riders of the world had theirs.

Guess what…alot of bikes broke… and there were alot of people who wondered “this bike cost alot of money, it should not break!”. You can get obscenely light and stong if you are willing to spend alot of money.

There is no good answer here. Riders always want what the top Pros are using. But get upset when something breaks. Money does not equal durability… just look at an F1 car, millions and it goes a few hundred miles. The previous post was right, the balance between strength and weight is what should be strived for in most intances for most riders. However, there should be ultra light competition machines… riders just need to be aware that they might only get a season out of one.

Personally I think a >10pound uni would be tre’ cool!

you mean less than?

…heh, heh…yep, thanks!