knees and muni frames

Hey,

Yesterday, I started thread about a custom muni that I am planning to have built. In it I indicated that I was planning to build it with a flat crown.

I was ordering parts from Unicycle.com today and happened to get to talk to John D. He recommends the rounded crown to reduce knee injuries. I originally thought the flat crown would be simpler to build, yet John felt that a rounded or flat crown required the same effort to build. I don’t plan on learning to glide. I may opt out for the rounded crown.

Here is my question:
If I have a flat crown and wear my 661’s, what is the chance of injury if I hit that flat crown? Would the 661’s take care of the impact?

I currently ride a 24" Sem XLW and have never smacked my (armored) knee into the frame, though I have grazed it.

Hang with me folks. Everyday, I learn something new and then I have to rethink things again. Goal is to have design finalized by end of April.:smiley:

Thanks.

I have a 26" Sem XLW with a flat crown, and I have never hit my knees on the crown, with or without my 661 leg armor on. This is the first I have heard of a problem with the flat crown.

You know, I don’t think my knees come back even close to the frame. They seem to stay out in front more. I do rub my right leg against the tire sometimes though, but never my left leg. Joe :thinking:

When I got my KH 24 and KH 20 I was worried that the flat crowns might jab me in the calf, but it has not been an issue for me. The likelihood of the flat crown leaving a bruise on your leg depends on several factors. If you have longer legs it is less likely to be a problem. But primarily it will depend on the Q-factor of your cranks. The Profile cranks are really wide, they are wider than the DM cranks that I’m used to and are probably wider than any combo of a standard taperd hub and bike cranks. If you’re planning on using the Profile hub then you are not as likely to hit your legs on the crown. If you’re planning on using a hub and crank combo that has a lower Q-factor then you might have problems with banging your leg on the frame.

I have put some bruises on my calf from my 20" freestyle uni when playing around with jumps and some other skills. So far I have not put any bruises on my calfs from the KH24 or KH20. My freestyle uni has a Suzue hub and straight cranks (low Q-factor).

john_childs

seat out front hops make thee" frame knocking knee’s thing"happen more becauze your tilting (or pointing) the fork towards your knees

at least for me

Re: knees and muni frames

“Mojoe” <Mojoe.3e95z@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:Mojoe.3e95z@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> You know, I don’t think my knees come back even close to the frame.
> They seem to stay out in front more. I do rub my right leg against the
> tire sometimes though, but never my left leg. Joe :thinking:
>

I rub my right calf against the forks too - it’s slightly bigger/stronger
than my left calf.

Leo White

I think you answered your own question; in ‘normal’ riding I haven’t had a problem either- but what Jagur said about seat out fron may be an issue- I do it so pourly, I contact many parts of the cycle that I shouldn’t.

In order of frquencey of undesireable inpacts:

Tire rub on leg.
Pedal to shin.
Seat post clamp to inner thigh.
Unicycle.com on bank account.

When I’m armoured up, the seat post clamp is the only one that leaves a mark…

Christopher

I fall off my muni a lot. It doesn’t have a flat crown
but DM’s angular knurled crown. I have never hit the
crown - I’m certain it’s the least of my potential problems.

Arnold the Aardvark

7th Birmingham Circus Convention - May 4th 2002
“I’ll do anything for an organiser’s T-shirt”

• A certain aardvark, in a moment of madness