Knee pain, suspecting off-center wheel

Hi,

I am relatively new to unicycling, but have been bitten by the bug and am now addicted. I bought a used Nimubs Muni 26" with a 3" tyre in september, but changed the tyre to a narrower(2,25") spiked tyre due to ice and snow.

However, after changing the tyre I have had some knee-pains after riding and am suspecting the new tire is to blame. On the new tire I also tend to lean more to the right on flat roads.

After inspection, I see that the tire is a bit off-center as in the photo. I dont recollect that this was the case with the original tyre.

Is there any way to correct this so that the wheel is more centered?

Yes, “dishing” the wheel over to the side (loosen all the spokes on the right a bit, tighten all the spokes on the left.)
Maybe confirm it is indeed the rim and not the tire with some frame to rim measurements before you do that. Maybe also check if the tire is seated evenly on either side.

Also you can check if it’s maybe a bent frame by flipping the frame on the wheel, if the large gap stays on the same side of the wheel, it’s the wheel that is out of center, if the gap changes sides (relative to the wheel), it’s the frame being bent.

2 Likes

Thanx Finnspin, this is exactly what’s happening on My Oracle. I’ll perform this test too!

Have you checked that the left side bearing is seated properly in the bearing holder in the frame? If that isn’t right down for some reason the wheel will be in a little tilted.

Also check that you haven’t put the wheel back in the wrong way round, it should be symmetric but you never know, and running with the wheel in the wrong way round will cause your pedals to unscrew.

I can’t see it being the frame being bent, if it was you’d have seen that with the other tyre. Any asymmetry would also have been more evident when you had the wider tyre on.

2 Likes

Who knows, but I kinda doubt the knee pain is directly from off-set tire situation. Are you doing more downhill than normal?

Another thing to check is if the seat needs to be raised.

1 Like

What Finn said.

For the knee pain… could it be too much grip with the studs?

If you are inefficient with turning (being a newbie) you could be forcing (muscling) the tire to move where you want but now the tire has more grip to resist this and this makes the forces needed to turn the tire higher.
Maybe your knee is noticing this extra grip?

Did you try riding without the studs in the snow?
With smooth riding the chance of slipping is very low.
It’s surprising how much grip just one wheel has.

Maybe?

1 Like

Wow, thanks for all your great responses!

Thanks, I did this, and I think you are right, it is probably dishing. I dont have the tool to loosen and tightening the spokes, so I just ordered one from a bike-shop.

I actually did this in the start, but luckily noticed it before too long :see_no_evil:

I think you are spot on here. I raised the seat 1cm after reading your post and went for a ride in the snowy weather: it seems that my knee hurts less with this configuration :heart_eyes:

And for the added traction, I think I need the studs, this is from my ride today

3 Likes

Hi, Also check if your hub is the correct width for the frame 90, or 100, or 125 in a wider or narrower frame. this will also throw the center off if it was a pieced together uni. just saying.

Oh and as a suggestion on knee pain… try pedaling toes pointed in heals out if it is inner knee pain at the joint. (Old man fix)

1 Like