Kickstarter "Lunicycle"

Personally I still wonder whether it’s a stepping stone to riding an UW, as one of those does still have some “advantages” over this. Though I agree that it has merits in itself as being more practical than an UW (which isn’t necessarily saying much!) Quite tempted by the idea…

There are also elements of an inline skate in the Lunicycle because the “pedals” limit the tilt of the wheel to the same as the leg.

If anyone has any questions for someone who has actually ridden it, ask away :slight_smile:

Well there are lots of questions already on this thread, why don’t you tell us more? Are you the inventor?

I think in general we’re relatively positive - I’d certainly consider putting some money up if I had more spare (and UK shipping wasn’t so much).

How long does it take a non unicycle rider to learn?

There are many questions for sure, but some seem more rant than questions. I am not the inventor, but I work for the company and built the prototypes.

It doesnt take long to learn for most people, 30min-1hr over a couple days is usually enough, but it can be less if you are experienced. It is much easier to ride than a regular unicycle. I started learning the seated version as I was making the first prototypes and it took about 10 times longer to get to the same level

It could be a stepping stone to an UW, you could probably learn to rely less on the supports and transition over, but learning to ride this wont make you able to ride the UW.

Its not “transportation”, it is still a good workout and you would be using it to cruise long distance unless you are a professional downhill skier.

Question: so it took 10 times longer to get to the same level as you were with the ‘Lunicycle’? Therefore it really didn’t help you learn any faster?

Or you tried the ‘Lunicycle’ after starting to learn a unicycle, and already had some experience under your belt?

IMO, a single person can’t make a comparison.

Anyways, I guess I’ll be old fashioned and say either learn to ride a unicycle or don’t. It’s not for everyone and there is no substitute for the real thing.

Hello Killian, I think Mchacon is saying that whilst building the first Lunicycle prototypes he decided to learn to ride the seated unicyce which took him ten times longer to learn to ride at a given level than learning to ride the Lunicycle at that level.

Yes that is what I meant. Lunicycle wont help with putting your weight on the seat and controlling balance with your pedals, but it does make it easier to unicycle with your weight more on the pedals. That example isnt jsut me, everyone in the company learned the unicycloe within a few days, they all tried the regular one too and im still the only one that can do it at all.

Oddly enough, the lunicycle’s selling point of being easier makes it less appealing to me.

The challenge of unicycling is what drew me to it. The continuing challenges of muni keep me into drawn to it. Something that’s even more difficult, like an ultimate wheel or BC wheel are more appealing than something easier. I’d almost definitely enjoy learning a lunicycle, but it would have to be much cheaper for me to buy one because I fear I would only be interested in it for a few days.

MuniorBust, that’s pretty much exactly the point I was trying to make. If you don’t want to put in the time to learn to ride a real unicycle, you’re probably not cut out for it.

Unicycling is difficult to learn, I totally agree. Part of the excitement of learning new skills (unicycling or not) is the reward and boost in self esteem of overcoming an unusual challenge. Being a niche sport it also sets us apart from the crowd.

Having said that, I teach all levels of riders and am always looking for ways to enable the learning process (making it just a little easier). For example I built the Hop On Wheel Advanced Repetition Device (H.O.W.A.R.D.), that allows riders to get a feel of hopping on the wheel without worrying about pedals, cranks, low seats and the wheel moving. It bridges the skill base from riding to hopping on the wheel. Similarly there is the Jumping Equipment For Fun (J.E.F.F) which is a wheel vice that allows riders to practice jump mounts, etc without the wheel moving. It is my hope the Lunicycle might bridge the skill level gap to higher level skills like seat drag, Ultimate Wheel, etc. Time will tell.

BTW: the IUF is researching new skill levels that better define skills that support the next skill. For example: riding with two feet leads to riding one foot, which leads to wheel walk, etc.

Looks like it could actually be hard to ride.

Source Electric skateboards, unicycles, and scooters: rideables are here - The Verge

The single biggest reason that unicycling isn’t more popular isn’t that it’s “hard” - getting good at anything is hard - it’s that you can’t do anything at first.

Tennis is hard, but you can buy a racquet and a can of balls and have fun playing a reasonable simulation of the game within minutes. Playing piano is hard, but a total novice can sit down and plink out a tune. Ditto the huge majority of sports and activities people do. Not unicycling. Most people who buy one never get to the very basic level of being able to get on it and ride around, and they quit. And that sucks.

I don’t think getting good at unicycling is harder than getting good at tennis, or piano, or anything else - it’s just that getting started bit that’s different - and if this thing really made it easier to get started, it would be great. It wouldn’t make the rest of your unicycling progress any less of a satisfying accomplishment, it would just get to to where you could make an honest choice about whether the sport is for you or not.

I guess I’m still skeptical that it would really be any easier to ride than riding a standard unicycle standing up, but if it does, hooray! There’s nothing good about those first baby steps being so hard.

Very succinctly put, MrImpossible!

Electric unicycle -> 20min

Hi,

If you are looking for electric unicycle and some useful tutorials, I would like you to offer our community website with friendly support and some tips how to start ride electric unicycle. That is similar to electric scooters, but only one wheel.

FAQ - Project42 UK Official Site page.

statistics

MrImpossible,

I think your description of the steep learning curve and how people give up is so true. I remember reading a stat that had 1 unicyclist for every 900 people. That’s an exclusive group. The complete opposite of a bicycle where almost everyone can ride. The interesting thing is that almost anyone could learn basic unicycle riding, but because it is so hard in the beginning. . . giving up is a much easier proposition.

I’ve been doing a lot of reading on perseverance and failure, and how the two are intertwined. It’s something called a Growth Mindset – where you understand that continued failure is part of the process…it’s part of the deal and something you should expect. You know you’ll succeed at some point in the future (although you don’t know when), so you just keep going. Typically, people think “that’s too hard”, or “I could never do that”…so they’ve given up before they’ve even started.

This is such a fantastic product! I’m going to get one to go with my electric mountain bike!

I really hope everyone can start using these because why should complete lack of skill limit people from being able to ride? Why should we have to work for something?

I mean, we’ve been doing it all wrong for the last hundred or so years.

I rode 22 miles of muni today, and it was freakin’ hard! I could have just hopped on my electric unicycle and cruised around for a bit, looking like a total poser and wouldn’t have been nearly as tired.

Let me say, I’m glad that you posted some friendly tips on learning to ride it! I was worried it was going to take me as long to learn as an ACTUAL unicycle! F that!

I <3 your electric unicycle!

Oh yeah, for sure. The world is a better place now, I can feel it. We’ll never have to be afraid of the future again. Our old future was poor, cloudy and miserable. Thanks you discovered a new one for us. Everybody should be able to change futures just like socks!

We also invented that one (www.solowheel.com) but the intention was more to get people off ebikes than onto unicycles.