KHE vs Primo "The Rod" seatposts

The KHE Nelson seatpost looks very much like it has the same design of clamping mechanism as the Primo “The Rod” - can anyone confirm this? (I have never seen a KHE in the flesh, only the photo.)

What is the weight of the KHE seatpost like? The Rod is a real clunker - way overbuilt in my opinion - and this is why I’m considering replacing it with a (hopefully lighter) KHE.

Any comments/suggestions appreciated.

+[]||>-

I can’t help but another potential option:

http://centurycycles.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=52&SKU=ST9028

I’m assuming you need a 7/8 post, because there are many options in 1’’

Yes, I do need a 22.2mm (7/8") diameter post. Thanks for your suggestion, but that style of seatpost won’t work for me.

In Rod We Trust

There are lots of BMX seatposts that are very similar to or exactly the same as the Primo Rod. It’s a generic style BMX seatpost. Almost every BMX brand has that same seatpost. The parts from different brands are even interchangeable. You can take the guts from one brand and put them in the seatpost for another brand. Right now I’ve got a Primo Rod seatpost with SX (a Schwinn brand) guts.

Where these seatposts differ is usually in their guts. The guts are the part that actually clamps on the seat rails. Some will have really cheap guts that are basally a pipe cut in half. Others will have more nicely formed guts that flow around the rails hold the rails better. Others will use aluminum alloy guts that are lighter and that also are nicely formed around the rails.

I’ve seen the Primo Rod come with a couple different styles of steel guts. Some of the guts looked like they could actually damage the rails when clamped while others were very good and would cradle the rails nicely. Basically you can’t tell what you’re going to get unless you actually see it when you buy it.

The KHE and the Primo are probably the same. Find out which one has better guts and get that one. If you can find a similar seatpost with alloy guts you will probably like the alloy guts better.