KH36 P-frame prototype for distance riding

Woah…

wow that looks cool! Comfy :smiley:

Suddenly my new Max Taint Creation seems so 2008 …

Wow… How does that ride?

Yeah, ditto what Corbin said. Very nice.

Awesome! Hope it rides as goood as it looks.

Let us know how it rides once you get your flat tire fixed. It looks very high to me, but maybe it’s okay for you.

Very innovative!. But doesn’t a unicycle find the center for you? Why move the seat back?
Unless it’s to reduce the uni weight or to make the front more stiff. :roll_eyes:
oh Is that 2 reasons? It does look like steering would be different.

I like it… it looks cool. Can’t wait to hear about the test ride.

Same reason as for the T-frame vs 7-frame.

Two short poles are better than one uber long one in terms of strength. Although the P frame does compensate for that because of the added brace.

Yes, bars do look too high now, but I’ll play around with the “teeter-totter” aspect of this to adjust the stem-post angle to drop the front end down/seat up a bit.
B

Now all that’s needed is a suspension shock on the brace!

Yes, The Gizmo speaks the truth on this. I sat down on the seat without the brace in place and it felt sort of “shiftey” The brace locks up all that flex and movement witht the strongest/most stable geometric shape: The triangle
My brace is overbuilt for the job. It could be much less robust and lighter.

I have to keep reminding my self that all this crazy nutty custom stuff is a stop-gap measure, just buying time. . . . and comfort until the production 36er v-frame is available to the masses, but if this turns out to be like the American public waiting for the release of a production quality all electric vehicle, man we could be waiting for a bit.

So, how many hands would be up if someone made a run of Rick Hunter quality v-frames in steel with maggie brake mounts and a choice of ISIS and square taper bearing holders - for like under $350? In Portland there are a slew of master frame builders that weave magic and steel in Portland’s craft bike building industry. One of them has already done a 29er ISIS frame for unicross racing and the Bastards were given it for testing. I think this industry might be hungry for work. Its the green one at: mjfreshyfresh | Flickr
Brycer

$300-350 sounds good to me.

I am not in the market today, but a V-frame is something I may be interested in eventually. I would like to see what they looked like and get some feedback from riders. The $300+ range sounds plausible for a nice frame.

Ride report on the R-frame

Just posted at:

Brycer1968

Yeah unfortunately we currently live in a world of competition and scarcity with not much sharing. So whoever is good enough to share ideas without patenting them and selling them is very generous and cool in my opinion. It doesn’t make sense to me that the government doesn’t subsidise clean renewable energy to coax the masses away from fossil fuels- to implement perpetual clean power! The wait is needless- just temporary fictional money problems. The power is in the people though I guess but we are suckers for cheapness and disposability.

The evolution of balance award goes to a team of people who propose a difficult, creative and remote unicycling adventure somewhere in the world.

I think that it would be cool if there was an additional category of prize for people who are actually evolving the balance point. The prize money could be put to good use, and Kris Holm Unicycles could even make money off a design if someone is willing to sell or give him their innovative ideas.

I really like the idea of having the arm rests and the slim seat- long distance riding makes my body beg for something like that. I sometimes rest my elbows on the ends of my T7 bars just to use different muscles for a moment.

I don’t think that companies sharing ideas is so unusual, They just don’t give away technology without any kind of gain for themselves. It makes sense to share technology if there is mutual gain from the sharing. One great example in the snowmobile world is when Bombardier (Ski-Doo) and Polaris decided made a deal giving each-other some great technology. Bombardier gave Polaris engine reversing technology and Polaris gave Bombardier the technology behind their double A arm front suspension.

Yes they helped their biggest competitor but both companies were able to capture a bigger part of the market, saw increased sales and didn’t have to pay any extra for R&D. See what happens when you share?

Sorry about the thread hijacking! I can’t help myself.

I’m talking about voluntary sharing, not sharing for mutual profiteering. Our technology is severely limited by the nature of profit and the dishonesty that goes with it. People will try to sell you anything, even if you don’t need it and it might be designed to break down- so you have to service it or buy a new one. Old technology is milked and sold before new technology is released - to maximise individual/corporate profit rather than provide the best possible product or service.

Not so much in the unicycling world but we are effected too cos we live in this place where inflation has made money a tool for the rich to exploit the poor. Where you are born partly decides how much money you will have access to.

Don’t you think it is silly that so many people pay huge taxes to pay back the government loans to a Private Corporation called the FED, and massive amounts of those loans were created to fund illegal wars (killing people is wrong!).

In the World where we have the internet we can see that people are the same all over the world and all deserve minimum wage and living standards. We need to stop thinking about “us” and “my family” and “my country” as being something seperate from the rest of the world and see it as one place- where if everyone benefits then you benefit too. Animals and people in all countries deserve quality of life!

We have the technology and resources to raise living standards everywhere- but if the wealth is divided more evenly some of us may have to give up our dreams of titanium unicycles and get something that can be produced in larger quantities- like Carbon fibre!

Almost nobody advertises things that are free- cos advertising costs. So simple knowledge like clean your windows with wet newspaper then go over it with dry newspaper to get them squeaky clean, gets replaced with ignorant commercials telling you you need some special spray on product and some magic cloth that doesn’t leave streaks.

Just now I watched a video about The Fed and read about fiat currency. I joined the Facebook group The Zeitgeist Movement. I think they have some interesting info on there, and I know they can be biased the same is true of people who represent the opposite views. I think the Zeitgeist movie’s portrayal of religion is a bit harsh as a lot of people do moral behaviour and seek unity in the name of religion as well as some people who twist it to their interpretation and cause disunity.

I don’t believe all of the Zeitgeist’s solutions (in the addendum) are the ultimate but it raised a few interesting points for me and such blatantly obvious sources of common problems like the evil banking cartels that I was unaware of, so I shared the link with my entire facebook list, and now with anyone who is interested from the Unicycling community.

Back to the topic of frame prototypes
(this probably should have been in just conversation… oh well)

Maybe a unicyclist with a well balanced view could come up with a new frame prototype for the money system that is more fair.

I haven’t figured out how others on this forum use aero bars with out elbow pads for more than a few minutes at a time. Maybe I’m just lazy? The wife calls my set up the barko-lounger of unicycles.
Yes, I used to rest elbows on other bars I made before I realized that what my arms really wanted were aero bars with elbow pads. The arm rests are nice for taking some more weight off your arms and ass, but it does futher short circuit your ability to react to bumps and drops that you roll into. I think time helps you get used to this, but at first, it feels pretty strange. I also experimented a lot with different threadless stems to get the height of the aero bars right. Mine are more upright than others might like, but they make centuries possible with minimal breaks and UPD’s are few and far between.

It’s funny that lazy and unicycle centuries can be put in the same paragraph. I feel a bit lazy too sometimes- mostly only riding where I need to go, but some people think I am the fittest person they know. I just feel normal cos I have never been obese or too unfit to be mobile.

Reducing the breaks on Centuries is good! I did 100miles around lake Taupo on a 28" with a KH handle and the force on my hand was something I had never encountered before! I’ve done the round the mountain (150km) 5 times since then- once with the 700c and 4 times with the 36" and T7. The force on my arms with the T7 is not as bad but theres room for improvement!

One thing I have noticed is the weight difference between the steel of the T7 and the alloy bar ends- they are so much lighter! If only we could use more efficiently weighted handles it would reduce resistance on the uphills! I’ve been too scared to take my 36" around lake Taupo cos the hills are so big and the wheel is so heavy (yeah I’m a lazy whimp I know). I’m really interested to try a 28" weight weenie Schlumpf and compare my average speeds on hills to the 36". Tony tells me the 36" Schlumpf is the way to go but I don’t have enough $ for any Schlumpfs yet.