KH20 Flatland uni project

That weird! I hate tubulars cause I’m always hiting my ankles and the area is to small for my foots! I think spencer also had some nice scars from the time he was riding K1 Cranks! I believe that maybe hiting ankles and cranks surface have some relation to riding style and the way you like to put your foot (On tubulars you have less space but can put your foot in more positions I think…)

I also used that uni for one week while I was in France. It’s awesome! Don’t expect a street/flat uni, but it opens many new possibilities. The smaller cranks helps a lot to make some transitions and some freestyle tricks. it’s a bit harder to flip, but it’s possible… The tire rolls way easier and smoother, it will not bounce as the trials tire, but it rolls way better. You’ll have to jump more (use your legs more I mean) for big spins, but the uni is also lighter, so you’ll be able to do 720s and tricks like that… Well, I can’t wait to get mine and keep one training some freestyle tricks in my flat combos :smiley:

Nice work Kris and Spencer :wink:

As long as a wear shin guards i never hurt my ankles. Pat and Eli use ankle guards to. And I actually hurt my ankles more on rollo’s but everyone has there own riding opinion. I do like the idea of this though don’t get me wrong and i’m not baggin on KH.

Hehe I know :smiley: Many riders likes more tubular! I just find weird you hurt your ankles more on moments cause most riders hurts it a lot on tubular (including myself), but it probably changes with the way you flip (foot position)… I’m not sure why, but while Adrien used tubulars he never hurted his ankles! Even when he was low level… And me and spencer had some nice scars :stuck_out_tongue:

I saw that Bobousse de-nubbed his K1 Tubulars to avoid hitting his foot at UNICON 14… but I don’t know if it worked out…

Tubulars are a bit lighter that’s why it flips a bit faster I think… I’m not sure, but yeah sometimes it flips faster… The bad thing is that it’s easier to brake/bend… but everything have positive and negative sides :wink: and it’s all related to riding style…

Looks like a good basketball uni too, minus the Rollo disks–strong and lightweight!

Double bolt clamp + hacksaw = 2 single bolt clamps. :slight_smile:

there’s 6 grams of paint on a KH29… (see issue 9)

It’s good a proper flatland unicycle is fiinally going to be produced. I never saw the point in a trials wheel for flat (although I don’t ride flatland). I think it’s great except moments are way too heavy, they haven’t even been broken doing trials or street yet so how about some lightweight aluminium flatland cranks? Surely that’s got to be better than trials cranks with disks on the end.

Anyway good job with the new ideas and development.

Hey,

Thanks for that feedback. I had this in mind too (hockey & basketball both) but it would be good to hear from people who play a lot.

Another thing - we have looked at a lot of tires and keep coming back to the Grifter for this uni, because it has a good tread pattern and is the lightest high-end tire for the volume (440 g, compared to 975 for the CC). It’s not 100% non-marking for indoor use, like a non-black tire would be, but it’s much less marking than a trials tire. Since most flatland riders ride outside, I’d rather put the best tire I can find on it rather than worry too much about riders in gyms where non-marking tires are not allowed - obviously they can switch it out if needed. Comments appreciated though.

Kris

It looks like it would make a great hockey uni, but there’s a few bits I would change to make it the ultimate hockey uni; Firstly, it needs plastic pedals to comply with the rules, and as a lot of tournaments are inside, it would have to use a non-marking tyre. The biggest change I would make though would be a 48 spoke wheel as hockey balls tend to get caught a bit too often in 36 spoke wheels (Unlikely to be a problem with basketballs though!). Maybe lighter cranks too, but if the 110s are pretty light then why not.

I realise that it’s primary use is for flatland though, and for that it looks fantastic.

STM

Cool, thanks. Plastic pedals aren’t a problem; it would be spec’d with Twisted PC’s.

Cheers,

Kris

Hey kris!

Do you think it would be out before Christmas (UNICON)? I can’t wait to get a wheelset like that!

Thanks!

Unfortunately it can’t happen so quickly due to production lead times in Taiwan. If this is released it would probably happen for April 2010.

K.

the wheel set looks remarkeably (excuse my bad spelling :slight_smile: ) like the one in spencers kh double crown video from about 3-4 months ago ?

It’s the same one; Spencer’s been riding it all summer. We tested the rim in 38 mm, 42 mm, and 47 mm width; the 47 (same as the trials rim) worked out the best as long as a fairly large BMX tire was used (e.g. 2.1").

Kris

Here’s a picture/screenshot just for fun (because I think it looks cool) :slight_smile:

I tried this uni at euc. I really dont think its a flatland unicycle. Its more a freestyle unicycle with moments. I thought the rolls were harder coz the wheel rotated to fast. I dont see why you cant simply call it a KrisHolm freestyle.
When the uni weighs more then 6kilos then its hard to controll coz the uni easily gets too much angled and when it weighs less then 4,5 kilos then its also hard to control coz the uni easily flies away and you need to do every landing perfect or else the uni just fall down. I think the weight should be around 5 kilos for perfect flatland. But thats just my opinion. Also I believe that this uni will sell preatty bad, coz the market for non flipping and non jumping riders is preatty low. I only know Spencer.
In my opinion the perfect flatland unicycle is a KrisHolm 19" longneck with 2008 seat and 137mm cranks with rollos. Why did you change the seat?

My feeling is that the definitions of flatland and freestyle are evolving and will continue to change in future. Within this there’s going to be a wide range of styles and preferences, from riders riding flatland on a trials/street uni to freestyle oriented riders on a traditional freestyle uni.

It’s important to recognize that there’s no one perfect flatland uni. Right now anyone who wants to ride flatland on a trials uni can do it. But there’s a gap, IMO, for riders crossing over from freestyle who are more rolling-oriented and want the smoother light rolling weight of a freestyle uni but the lateral stability of a wide trials/street rim.

There are quite a few freestyle riders worldwide, so my sense is that there’s a good demand for a crossover flatland-freestyle uni. But I’m looking for opinions to make sure I produce something riders want - hence this thread.

Kris

Okay now i see more how you mean. Then its probably quite a good chance that i will be populare among freestylers. After some thinking I believe flatland is changing into to directions the flatland combos with more flips and spins and into flatland/freestyle. Hopefully it will get popular, but idk. :smiley:

On my hockey uni I already use the KH longneck frame, which I bought for its light weight and because it looks great. I would be interested in if the wider rim gave any benefit, but i’m not really sure if it would. At the moment i’m still deciding to by my next tyre in 1.95 or 2.1, running this wheel

My wheel has 48 spokes, i’m not sure it needs that many, but it is very sturdy. Balls still get stuck in 48 spoke wheels occasionally, i’m surprised more people don’t have a disc each side covering the spokes or just some objects in various places. The favourites I have seen were both at the last UNICON, first by the Koreans who had cd’s in the spokes and the goalkeeper of a German hockey team I dont know the name of, who had some sheets of brightly coloured paper stuffed through the spokes

I ride 100mm cranks for hockey and personally wouldnt go any longer anymore. 110’s is a good size though as the next size up currently is probably 114mm although I havnt checked.

I too realise that it is designed for flat and not hockey and agree it looks pretty mean, oh and I don’t really play basketball.

For hockey a 48-spoke wheelset would be better, because you can catch the ball pretty easy in a 36-spoke wheel (and your oppenent would get a penalty)