KH T-Bar

Once again, 1st batch of T-bar were using thinner (and weaker) tube than next batches, please check your tube diameter first

I put a Shadow handle on my 36 and gradually modified the position over a few rides until it felt right. I did 24 miles on it the other day, 14 of them without a break, and used the handles for almsot the entire distance, only reverting to the seat bumper handle for slow manoeuvring, junctions, and really badly broken ground.

I realised that I had adjusted the Shadow handle so short that it looked more like a KH T bar in position, so that’s what I bought for my 29 a couple of weeks later.

The 29 is a bit twitchier, but within a couple of miles I was holding the handles for most of the distance.

Adding handles to these 2 unis has revolutionised my riding.

I believe my KH T-Bar is the second generation version as I think I bought it a couple years ago AFTER all the early reports about problems with the weld and the thinner tubes. I’ve got a bunch of spare parts so am going to see if I’ve got anything I can rig up. If not I may spring for an adjustable seatpost clamp as that would come in handy.

T-bar narrowing to 100 mm

Hi,
I have the same T-bar on my KH 26" (XC, Muni, DH, UH) and KH 36" (road, distance). After narrowing it to 100 mm I´m totally satisfied. I used shorter bar ends instead originals. Everything else is like T-bar setup for muni as Kris has. :sunglasses:

Here is the photo of my T-bar setup.

tbar.jpg

A few more miles under my belt since my last post. I am now able to turn fairly sharply on the 36 with both hands on the bars, and it’s a cool feeling.

On the 29, I still find that the bars work best when I’m making swift progress. At lower speed and for manoeuvring, I still tend to use the seat handle.

Yes, it is great for Muni. Climbing is much easier with the T-bar

I just started t-handling too, Andre, and I’m just now to the point where I can use both hands pretty much all the time, and it’s weird, but you know what helps? I fix my gaze further down the road than normal, like I’m looking down a long tunnel. Not sure why this helps, but it really does. Usually, I’m looking at the road maybe 15-20 feet ahead, but if I look down the road to the horizon point, I can two-hand it way better. :thinking:

Hi YooNeeNoob,

I remembered this post of yours and I was wondering if you could share some of your insights regarding how to gain control over riding with both hands on the T-bar?

I have only ridden my 36er for about 2-3 hours total until now, and I guess it’s not much but how would I know if I’m doing the right thing in terms of practice and how would I know that the T-bar is at the right position.

Currently, the T-bar is at the lowest position possible right in front of the seat.

I’d appreciate your tips! :slight_smile:

Cheers.

When i had my tbar looking farther helped me also

Perhaps unrelated to the above but one thing to add: make sure the spacing of the bar-ends is right for you. The T-bar width is set up to be the widest that most riders can still reach a brake lever positioned between the bar-ends. Personally I prefer the “T” to be 20 mm narrower - I shift the bar-ends inwards by 10 mm (each) and cut off excess tubing on the outside. If you do this, be sure to file the tube to remove any sharp edges (you can also position the bar-ends slightly outboard of the cut to avoid any chance of sharp edges).

Kris

I have the same set-up as Kris on my 26 guni, with the short extension and the narrowed end. It works great. Sadly, the weld on the mount broke today after 2 years of using it.

Thanks, I will give it a try - I guess that means I will have to lean forward, right?

Thank you Kris for the detailed explanation, I will shift the bar ends inwards and see how it goes.

Thanks a lot!

No worries.
One other thing: the slotted tube can be oriented with the seatpost clamp facing either forwards or backwards. If you are using the T-bar in a far extended position it’s best if the clamp is forward. If you adjusted it very close to the saddle, you can get it closer if you flip the slotted tube around so that the clamp faces the back.

Just fitted a muni tbar to my 29er. Awesome - anyone considering it should go for it.
Technical riding was easier as I could steer with the bar more easily and I could climb and descend more easily. I was able to go into hopping more easily as well.

I think the tbar is a bit wide for my small hands - currently at 130mm. Will go down to 110mm next.

The only problem is that I need buy one for my 26er now!