KH seat bolts constantly on the loose.

My KH seat just seems to want to come loose on its post on a weekly basis. The handle and bumper bolts come a little loose along the way as well. I know when its happening as the seat starts to squeek in a unappealing sort of way.

Now its not that I am doing a lot of hopping and dropping with this particular seat, in fact the seat in question is the one that I use on my commuter uni and therefore doesn’t go through much in terms of torquing about.

It really doesn’t take much to set things right, just a few turns with the socket wrench. But I am wondering if it might be time to add some lock tight to the bolts. Anyone done this to their KH seat bolts yet?

Erin

I’m having a similar problem with my seat. I’m just learning, so the seat is taking quite a hammering at the moment. I have put a second nut on each side of the seat bolts to act as a “lock.” That seems to work quite well up to now.

Phil

I forgot to add: I don’t have a KH seat, It’s a no-name taiwanese thing.

Phil

Yup. Loctite or Permatex threadlocker will keep the nuts and bolts under the seat nice and tight. The medium strength stuff is strong enough for seat nuts and bolts.

I don’t have a KH seat yet, but all unicycle seats have problems with the nuts getting loose. Pretty much any of my seats that I neglect to Loctite will get loose. Sometimes I’ll get lazy and neglect to reapply the Loctite after adjusting the seat and sure enough that seat will get loose.

Phil.

If it’s a Savage Saddle, Then it’s probably be a “No-name Taiwanese Type”. Try a Viscount saddle or some other saddles. Go for good brand Names like KH-Velo or a Miyata Saddle, But avoid The Savage Saddle.
There are some other threads on this type before. Browse about on the RSU site. I agree with John Childs to use Loctite or Permatex threadlocker on nuts and bolts on the saddles. I got a Viscount saddle and the nuts on them has hardly move at all in it’s Ten years of riding it. And I only recently put more Loctite on it, just as it is slighty move a bit and it done the trick.

David.

P.S. If it’s a Good Saddle Phil, Disregard my topic on what I said.

Loctite? That would involve a trip to the hardware store, and just might work too well. Try bubble gum instead, no joke; It sometimes does the trick when snugging up wobbly furniture bolts. Cheap household caulk also works well.
You work in the school system, a few cheerleaders might assist you in this endeavor. carjug

Another thought, lockwashers from the hardware store.

Re: KH seat bolts constantly on the loose.

On Fri, 2 May 2003 02:48:29 -0500, john_childs
<john_childs.mskab@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>Sometimes I’ll get lazy and neglect to reapply
>the Loctite after adjusting the seat and sure enough that seat will get
>loose.
None of my seat bolts (16 of them) have come loose yet. But if I were
one of John Childs’s seat bolts I would COUNT on receiving a dash of
Loctite on every appropriate occasion. And if not, I would indeed work
loose in protest! :slight_smile:

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

"More people are killed by donkeys each year, than in air crashes. "

Well Lock tight it is… I did the bolts in blue this morning… now we’ll see if things stay snug and quiet…

Erin

Re: Re: KH seat bolts constantly on the loose.

Indeed! I believe that the bolts that don’t get Loctited loosen themselves intentionally just to spite me. :wink:

The bolts under the seat were the first things that I started Loctiting on my unicycles. It was much later that I started putting Loctite on things like crank nuts.

Has anyone tried this? Sounds a lot less messy then loctite.

Daniel

Re: KH seat bolts constantly on the loose.

“carjug” <carjug.mt0pz@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:carjug.mt0pz@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> Loctite? That would involve a trip to the hardware store, and just might
> work too well. Try bubble gum instead, no joke; It sometimes does the
> trick when snugging up wobbly furniture bolts. Cheap household caulk
> also works well.
> You work in the school system, a few cheerleaders might assist you in
> this endeavor. carjug
>

Get some nail polish from the cheerleaders and try that.

Re: Re: KH seat bolts constantly on the loose.

I used to use clear nail polish on the water bottle cage bolts on my road bike. The nail polish is just strong enough to keep the bolts from getting loose due to road vibration. I don’t know if my mom was too happy about me borrowing the nail polish though.

Nail polish can be a poor mans low strength Loctite.

Humm ,seats,KH seat is ok ,but not much room to adjust it.It’s not that cosy sitting on the narrow section oww.
Loctite it all.I’m going for the very best seat , Gemcrest leather air/carbon fibre/wilder bracket all built up seat.Pricey but nothing is as good as a air seat you can adjust .
Oh ya Darren Bedfords air seat cover {black rubber}is a perfect fit over a 12"tube miyata seat base,put that on the Coker ,nice.
Air saddle is the only way to go.