KH/Schlumpf hub price

I emailed Florian last week and he said that the hub was going to be delayed until February.

I’m sure Florian and Kris understand this, but I want to emphasize that Ride The Lobster is the single biggest sales opportunity for this hub; they could sell 30+ units to people doing RTL. (I know my team is planning to purchase at least two). If they’re not shipping by March or so, teams are going to have to come up with alternative plans; it’s probably not feasible or advisable to train on a short-crank Coker and then switch to a geared uni just before the race.

Please, get it in production!

i got this mail this morning from florian:
(sorry it was german, but it says that the first serie is avilaible)

Geschätzte Freunde, Interessenten, EinradfahrerInnen,

gerne sende ich Euch brandheisse News aus dem Hause Schlumpf:
Wir haben soeben die erste Serie MUNI-Naben fertiggestellt, die in Zusammenarbeit mit Kris Holm (http://www.krisholm.com) entwickelt wurden.

Hier die Spezifikationen:

• zwei Gänge 1:1 und 1:1.5 (Schnellgang)
  • Damit ist ein 26”-Rad gleich schnell wie ein 39er!
  • ISIS Achse
  • extra steife Auslegung dank zwei Paar Rillenkugellager als Achslagerung
  • gehärtete Schaltknöpfe, die für rauhen Einsatz ausgelegt sind
  • Schaltwelle mit rund dem doppeltem Durchmesser verglichen mit der Standardausführung
  • extra breite Nabe mit 70mm Abstand von Flansch zu Flansch
  • ausgelegt für vertikale Sprünge bis 1.5m
  • kompatibel mit allen KrisHolm-Rahmen ab Baujahr 2007

Beste Grüsse

Florian
Florian Schlumpf, Inhaber
schlumpf innovations gmbh

preiz?

English version

I’m glad to inform you, that we finished the first batch of KH hubs today and will ship all 2007 orders in the next few days.

The specs of the KH hub are:

• two ratios: 1:1 and 1:1.5 (high gear mode)
  • ISIS axle
  • high stiffness thanks to two pairs of industrial ball bearings
  • hardened steel shift buttons to withstand even rough treatment
  • shifting shaft with twice the diameter as the standard shaft
  • extra wide design with 70mm distance between flanges
  • for vertical jumps up to 1.5m
  • fits all Kris Holm frames from model year 2007 or younger

Well done Florian and Kris, they look lovely!

The price is visible from here: http://www.schlumpf.ch/uni_engl.htm

Which means: CHF 1’421.- / € 872.- / £603.- / $1268.- (hub alone)

This is very expensive of course, in a kind of “absolute” world - however I understand why it can be that expensive, if one considers the low volume market we are in and the high level of manufacturing quality involved.

I will probably buy one of them and build a killer 36er - I’m just basically waiting for the “Big News” to come…

Cheers, MadC.

I got one coming to me :slight_smile:

Excellent!

Will these be available through unicycle.com, or should we order them direct?

I would ask Florian about that. I am guessing if unicycle.com does sell the hubs, it will take a little bit longer for them to be in stock.

UDC may not hold them as stock due to the high cost so I’d give them a call to see if they’re expecting spare(s), otherwise order them directly. Logically it would be quicker direct, but UDC would be better if you want them to build the wheel for you.

I already sent mail to uni.com, I’m just impatient.

I’d rather build the wheel myself; I suppose I’ll just order one. Totally Doable!

i orderd mine from schlumpf…and i’ll built the wheel myself or my bike mechnic will do that for me…

Umm… who is ‘‘we’’? Do you have them in your personal possession for distribution or something?

Oh, and what is the max drop height recommendation for the normal hub, and why would the gearing afftect the spline strength, if it does?

As Mike explained by the title of his post he was providing an english translation of the e-mail from Florian to Turtle.

Florian Schlumpf is the designer and manufacturer of the Schlumpf geared hubs.

jim

Ok sorry, I hadn’t read the posts above.

Hi,

UDC Germany already ordered a few ones and will hold them as stock.
Hope we will get them soon from Florian and can build all the pre ordered unicycles …

Roland

Is it just me, or does anyone else get arroused by that picture?

STM

It’s the golden knobbie that sings, isn’t it? Or is it the glorious machining, or the massivity of it all? Heretofore the Swiss were not known for their girth! LOL!!

droooooool…
Simply beautiful piece of engineering florian and Kris!

The only dilemma that i would have if i had enough money to procure such an awesome device would be deciding what uni to put it on.
A 36er speed capable 24x3 muni, or one hell of a 36er. Use it with double drilled cranks and think of the options you have!

I guess this may be one of the things that will eventually pull me into full time employment…envy of expensive unicycle gear!
mark

I would advise against having UDC US build one of these up for you. I ordered an airfoil 36er from them with the Kovachi wheelbuild and it was total crap. The spokes seemed very loose straight out of the box, but the wheel was true so I just left it. Apparently his secret to keeping the rim true is to just not tighten the spokes. On my 3rd ride or so I had one spoke that just completely unscrewed from the nipple and several others that were just about to fall out as well. The whole thing was sloppy. I basically had to build the wheel again myself and it’s harder to keep the wheel true when you actually tighten the spokes. John Kovachi needs a new profession.