KH/Schlumpf hub price

oh. I had ridden one that had lots.

oh well though, gunis are so awesome.

I’ve not ridden the KH Muni hub so can’t compare the two, but I’ve had a standard one for over 6 months now and can honestly say that the slop really isn’t a problem. If you haven’t ridden a Schlumpf before then you will notice it for the first couple of miles, but it doesn’t make it hard to ride or anything. And after a very short time, you just stop noticing it.

STM

It’s more complex at the moment, and maybe that’s why there’s not a lot of options for complete unicycles. As I understand it (and I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong), there’s 3 main options with getting a Schlumpf;

Current hub - Standard square taper, 40mm bearings, 90mm centres, with torque arm. Only the Schlumpf frame or a custom frame will fit. Huge choice of cranks, but no really strong ones or double-drilled ones.

KH Muni hub - Isis splined, 42mm bearings, 100mm centres, no torque arm. Any recent KH frame will fit, as well as Nimbus 36, and some older frames with the lip ground down. Good choice of cranks including double-drilled ones. Hub available now, but, as yet, no one is selling a complete uni.

New road hub - Square taper, 42mm bearings, 100mm centres, no torque arm. Same frame options as KH Muni. Not available until some time in 2008

I’m glad that I’m not having to decide what to buy right now :smiley:

STM

Florian confirmed recently to me that it’ll have 40mm bearings.

If both were for 42mm bearing holders he’d be reducing the number of frames it could be retro-fitted to.

Oh man, that makes it tougher for me, since I have a KH frame(42mm) which is crying for me to save up for a guni hub. Being rational about it, I can’t justify the KH/Muni(42mm) higher cost based on my riding style. But then new road hub(40mm) won’t fit my KH frame.

But yes, these are awesome options to have available. And, Being rational has nothing to do with unicycling.

Preach it, brother.

I think it’s pretty easy to shim your hub

So 40mm goes into a 42 mm frame easily, it’s the reverse that’s hard.

Yes, you can make shims, such as a cut aluminum can to make the bearing fit.
I think that a muni hub is worth it in the long run. You might get into more aggressive riding, and having extra strength gives a big confidence boost.

I am running the current Schlumpf hub on my 36er and it is in the New Nimbus 36 frame as you can see in the pics here daytripper63 | Flickr

yeah you can shim it, but i don’t know how well that will work with the torque being transmitted through the bearing housing. Last thing you want is the torque reaction ring sliiping at some inopportune moment because you’ve got a bit of drinks can in their to shim it.

I have no shims in mine and it is in the Nimbus frame

Yes, but your one is the current hub with the torque arm, so it doesn’t matter as much. The 2008 model will have its torque arm converted in to a gnarled bearing type thing, so it’ll be more critical.

But it’s good to know that the current one fits in to a 42mm machined bearing housing fine though. I was going to ask sooner or later what people recommend using to shim a 40mm bearing other than coke cans.

STM

I tried using the bearing shims to fit a 40mm wheel to a 42mm. Then my muni wheel shifted enough to rub on the frame when was pushing hard up steep little hills. Add to that what semach said about the torque bearing, I don’t think shims are a good idea.

But yeah, at least there is a fighting chance of it working.

KH Muni Hub and KH frame sounds like the best choice, especially for the impatient. At least it sounds like a choice where you can’t go wrong.

It would be nice if somebody was already selling complete systems, but I guess that’s not too big a problem.

Shims have worked for me, but I didnt use pop cans to make mine. I started to, but once they were cut out I decided that they would not have enough traction to hold still in the bearing holders.

I ended up using some hard yet grippy rubber I found in the garage.

Shlump hub for 1000 $

I just noticed this the other day. I’m a bit low on my stack of 1000 $ bills, but maybe this is for one of you guys.:slight_smile:

UDC has a returned, but good hub for sale here.

http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1163

I’m sure this was pointed out before, but Florian’s web site now lists the 2007 hub price (with cranks) as USD $918. Shipping is $52., for a total of USD $970. (at current exchange rates).
I don’t think he has set the price point of the 2008 road model with 100mm bearing centers.

Cool Pete

I’m not really following the market, so I thought maybe that was a good deal. I guess not !

Well the UDC unit would be convenient for someone who didn’t want to wait for overseas delivery. I’m sure they’ll sell it. Myself, I’m currently waiting for overseas delivery. While The Menace is fast on the level, this will allow me to get up the hills too.

You are getting the std. hub or the new muni hub?

I am waiting for the Kh/Schlumpf hub to be available, I placed an order to be in queue for shipment when it comes available. I am guessing that once it is available I will be contacted again as far as how to proceed with the bank transfer.

I am planning on building a geared 29 with KH29 parts…everything will be compatible except the spokes. Kris was recommending 280mm straight gauge 14 gauge spokes for use with his rim and the geared hub.

For those who will be building a geared 36 with the hub…I am not sure which spokes will work? A geared 36 with dual drilled cranks and a hunter or Ti frame would be a dream ride. I was planning on originally putting it in a 36" wheel, but the geared 29er will pack much better with me this summer while I am traveling abroad.