Ken Looi in Bangkok Hospital with Broken Leg?

aww come on thailand is down with the one wheel wonders. But I guess if you are trying to keep low profile then you are doing well.

I’m keeping a low profile, but the Laos Unitour was shown on Thai national (TV) news 2wks ago. Several of the places we visited had seen us on the news.

That was my thoughts too. I visited Ken in the Hospital before taking off from Thailand and I saw the before and after x-rays. Looking at the before x-ray, it looked like the break was just above the old metal plate that was there and it looked like it may have cause the new break to happen where it did.

Just in case anyone is interested, I got my plates and screws out of my leg on Friday. They managed to remove all except one which was stuck in my fibula.

The big plate in the photo was from last years broken tibia/fibula on the Laos Unitour. The smaller plate in the photo was from my broken ankle in 2002 during my Muni tour of Nepal.

For comparison, the original Xrays are on here:

Ken

Screws.jpg

Thanx for the update Ken.
And is the ankle now as good as new?

Was kens hub homemade?
I’m guessing that it wasn’t…?

Ken introduces another great way to cut down on some weight :wink:

Good to hear it’s getting back to normal. Though it must feel quite weird?

Wow, I didn’t realize all that hardware was still in there when you were creaming us in the Marathon last summer! Congrats on getting it out!

He should be disqualified for having an unnatural mechanical advantage. :wink:

not the schlumnf i hope? that would be some abd publicity

The problem that caused the injury has long since been fixed. I think Ken was riding a hub that was old when it was on the tour, let alone now.

Ken congratulations on having the hardware removed.

For those confused about the hub. This is from the laosunitour.org website regarding the hub.

***Note on the gear slippage:

The 1st generation Schlumpf hub came out in early 2005, with 6 pins. It was found on testing to disengage suddenly, and has thus been subject to a recent product recall. The reason I am still using it was that it was not going to arrive in time to change it over before I left New Zealand, and Florian Schlumpf was concerned that I continued to use it. The new generation Schlumpf hub with 12 pins and new pin design has been extensively used by riders during the LUT with no problems. It has been redesigned specifically to address this problem.

no way hermannater ahs a titaium log in his leg and they let him compete

Yup, it feels good to have it out. I was having problems with the screws rubbing on my skin and shoes. If I had bumped my leg against something, it would very easily have opened up straight onto the metalware.

Still a bit sore, so no riding as yet. I had to work a 15hr shift the next day so I’ve been walking on it a fair bit. So far so good, but it probably won’t be quite the same as before I broke my leg/ankle.

Oh, congrats on getting the hardware out, Ken. Those are big freaking plates! When I had a much smaller plate and screw set removed from my fibula for a much simpler break, it felt amazing not to have the thing grinding on my tendon when I walked or cycled. When you say that the leg will not be the same as before, do you anticipate that the bone will be less strong after such serious injuries, or was there other damage to non-bony bits at the same time?

andrea