Keeping up with a seven year old (on a bike)

The car situation in the neighborhood is not that bad. We maybe have a car passing through every 7-10 minutes. My role is mostly to stick out on the uni where the cars can see me and slow down.

We used to go to a nearby tennis court earlier in the season when she still could not ride a bike and was practicing on her 16" unicycle. I was hoping she would figure out how to let go of the tennis net and ride on her own but she was way too scared of falling down. Now she only wants to ride her bike and does not mind falling at all. Kids are weird. :slight_smile:

I regularly ride a 29" with 125s alongside an adult riding (at an admittedly leisurely pace) a regular “hybrid” bike.
At one point, a kid, maybe 10, in my neighborhood wanted to race (same unicycle). It was neck and neck after a block, although who knows, maybe he was taking it easy on the old guy.

Don’t worry, it’s not only kids that have that habit… :roll_eyes:

i ride with my sister on my unicycle until i gave her my old gt bmx race bike then i had to start riding my bike along with her. i looked down at my computer and we were going 20 and shes only 6

Ah, the “human pylon” trick. I use that one myself quite regularly!

3 days to practice on shorter cranks

My friends and I are going to go biking. We are generally fit…since we are teenagers with, I hope, plenty of energy.
We went 50 miles last time, and though I just picked biking up again, I was totally ahead of them…(well, I slowed down a lot to go at same speed, but they still felt sore and nearly dead at the end while I wanted to ride some more)

It is generally a flat ride except for about a dozen or two dips under bridges (riding along the river)

We are going again with a few more friends…(they borrowed bikes just to go riding…so they are not in-shape and thus I am going to also lend my lighter bike so they won’t have to struggle on heavy mtn and cruiser bikes). I am going to ride on my 29" uni, which I’ve had for almost two months, riding 125mm cranks.

Should I put on my shorter cranks(100mm) and practice for the next 3 days to be faster and be less tired on the ride? or do you think 3 days is not enough to get accustomed to the shorter cranks for there to be any benefits and I should thus just continue riding with 125mm[I cannot idle on either 125mm or 100mm cranks…I’m not very skilled]

I wish I had a 36" unicycle!!! :frowning:

Definitely put on the 100s! Even on a not-as-flat ride they would probably be better than the 125s in the long run. Definitely fine on the flat ride you described.

the tennis court net worked well? I have a 6 yr old I want to start on uni. she just started bicycle at the beginning of summer. I won’t let my kids do training wheels I just remove the pedals, lower the seat and let them learn to balance and steer. my son who just turned 3 has a real balance bike and flies around with it.

this speed thread is quite awesome, BTW.

okay!
thanks. Now I’ll get out and ride a few hours for the next 3 days to keep up with those bikes :slight_smile:

You’ll definitely want the shorter cranks. It will be a challenge to keep up with even decently fast bikes for a long flat ride on a 29er. It probably won’t be hard to get used to the shorter cranks on the flats; they’ll probably feel scary going downhill.