Keeping this underground

I’ve shown at least 12-13 non-riders universe 2 (1-2 at a time)sicne i got it.And my family.

Dan, just like your videos, a very well put together post :slight_smile: . I would much rather see a polished, fresh, well edited DVD than small single trick clips, keep up the great work.

In a way it’s similar to RSU postings. I prefer reading the well thought out detailed posts rather than the single line pointless comments. (Although, ironically, this post is leaning more towards the latter :o )…

yo

Most of you posted negitively and missed the point for which i was stated. no big. You’re saying i’m super competive I am, always have been. It’s the family growing up thing with many older brothers, kinda my nature. I’m basicly stating, do you wanna see this sport grow in leaps and bounds. (Dvd releasing) or little steps (online clips). One more thing for jsm, kinda a controdiction, i don’t really care for credit on newly hit tricks, as you were inferring, it’s profecting them into variations before people even know about them. So it’s not like “Oh i can do that” right away. That gets boring.

-Shaun Johanneson

Who cares if someone is better than you? Are you supposed to hide because someone is more advanced? Besides, it’s cool to see some easier stuff, so I can try. Not everybody can watch the best and do the moves instantly.

Re: yo

Huh? This isn’t such a ‘black or white’ ‘A or B’ ‘Coke or Pepsi’ situation as you (and others) make out. There is the middle ground of internet videos as a way to release new material. I’m talking about such releases as Ryan Atkins’ ‘Resolution’, Jess Riegel’s “KFC Showdown”, Xavier Collos’ vids and (shameless self-promotion) my ‘Numero Uno’. These are well edited, well put together online videos which in my opinion are a lot more valuable to the unicycling community than single trick clips. Even if new films like these only include one or two new tricks/variations I reckon they’re very worthwhile, and shouldn’t be dismissed as inferior to DVD releases.

Another 2c.

tony

Make that 4c ;).

Andrew

I’ve been trying to stay out of this argument, but I have some opinions on this issue, so I can’t hold back any longer.
in my not so humble opinion, this all really depends on what you mean by ‘underground.’ I think it’s a bad idea to keep everything new that we invent completely secret from each other until one puts together a video that includes that in it. I can understand if you don’t want to distribute one particular video clip to the world until it’s in a good movie, but I think it would be nice if you perfect a new trick that you could film just one scrappy clip of it and toss it up in the gallery. what’s the point of learning something new if you can’t show it off?

Andrew you beat me to it!

You know what they say: great minds think alike :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree with shaun

Will the sport gain much from a few DVDs being released?

Who will buy them?

Who will sell them?

what a well thought out informative reply that was!

I think I like both forms of the media almost equally. It’s really cool to see stuff that people can do, so that I can try it. However, I think big feature movies are completely different. A feature movie is a lot more impressive and comprehensive, but dvds come out a lot less frequently, and are expensive. I think that the comprehensiveness and accessibility of a DVD would make it not matter if I had seen that particular trick before. Anyway, it will (probably) be a different clip, and as it has been stated, diffent clips are always different in shooting style, location, etc. even if they’re of the same rider doing the same trick.

I think I like both forms of the media almost equally. It’s really cool to see stuff that people can do, so that I can try it. However, I think big feature movies are completely different. A feature movie is a lot more impressive and comprehensive, but dvds come out a lot less frequently, and are expensive. I think that the comprehensiveness and accessibility of a DVD would make it not matter if I had seen that particular trick before. Anyway, it will (probably) be a different clip, and as it has been stated, diffent clips are always different in shooting style, location, etc. even if they’re of the same rider doing the same trick.

the reason shaun is saying this is because if someone has a new trick that will make a movie great, then if someone discovers that trick too and puts it on the internet for everyone to see then it takes that greatness away from the video. theres no stopping ppl from doing what they want on the internet. But it would be nice and help out film guys like dan in the long run.

justin

if your unicycle movie is good only because of the tricks that are in it, i.e. it has no quality film-making skills, then I wouldn’t really like that film anyway. I prefer the ones that are put together well, whether they have impressive riding or not. a very good example of this is mUNIac the movie. not the best riding, but my favorite online unicycle movie evvar.

Justin was stating more than just that trick James. But yes, justin did get exactly what I meant, thank you, i had a hard time stating it. New tricks (disregard the filming styles if it’s done correctly, it’s good) make the movie great. Well that and hard tricks in runs and what not. But seeing something new is always what sparks the mind. By learning it from another and posting it right away it takes away fomr the movie and the person who actually hit it. Since he hit it first, he’s gotta wait till the movie is out, while that other person gets reg. for just throughing it on the internet. No fun.

I don’t think that is really true, Shaun. There is the precedent of when I thought I’d invented the seatwhip in 2003, posted videos of it online, then found out Adam Ryznar actually invented it in 2000. However, it is neither me nor Adam that the majority of unicyclists associate with this trick - its Dan Heaton who did it in Universe 2.

mmkay, I think I see your point now. however, I still disagree. correct me if I’m wrong, but you want to make money from unicycling by selling your movies, and you want others to be able to make money from unicycling in the same way. the people who are disagreeing with you, like me, unicycle just because they enjoy unicycling, not because they want to make money off of it.
of course, I could be completely wrong… but this is what I’ve figured out from your posts thus far.

I think what makes the movies so great is the terrain and rider style, you cant really get to see much of the riders style from the short clips. I feel there needs to be both the internet short clips and the dvds. The clips can teach the basic skills and tricks and you save some of your really cool and technical tricks for the movie, I mastured unispins by watching how Shaun does it, learned to unipsin crank stall by watching Tomsey. But for viewing pleasur the movies are always better, mostly for the same reason as John Foss has described.

Edit: What is a Seat whip??

I think there needs to be a complete muni video featuring some of the great muni riders. Just Beacuse i like to muni and it is crazy scary which makes it awsome.