Jacksonville Unicycling

You should check out this Florida Muni meet up thread. Thos guys organize a lot of weekend rides not to far from you (most of their rides are only an hour or two from Ocala, Fl I do believe).
Forgot the link.:stuck_out_tongue:

Those of you on this thread please write some of your recommendation for local places to ride close to our area. Indicate if it is for muni, touring, trials, hills, beach etc.

My recommendations are for nice quiet riding. Lots of nature to enjoy, etc.

muni
Tillie Fowler
Hanna
Guana
Washington Oaks

beach
Anastasia
Hanna

Paved Trails
Jax-Baldwin
Lehigh Rail
Nocatee Parkway

Hills*
Acosta-Main Street Bridgee Loop
Wonderwood Blvd Intercoastal
Palm Valley/ Nocatee Intercoastal
Moody (100) in Flagler
Vilano Beach Causeway (1A)

I ride bridges including intercoastal that have a partitioned section for pedestrians. It makes me feel safer and is more enjoyable especially to stop at the top and enjoy the view. So there are several other intercoastal bridges like the one on Atlantic Blvd that I didn’t mention.

Some of these places I combine into one ride, for example Lehigh Rail trail combined with the intercoastal bridge (100) to the beach makes a nice ride. Hanna Park over the Wonderwood intercoastal then down the Kernan mulipurpose path would be a good spot for touring practice although there is not a lot of tree canopy. Looking forward to seeing a list of some of your favorite spots so I can expand my own.

im going to have to check out washington oaks. How long are the trails there?

The trails are not extensive and not technical. They are for hiking and biking and are only about 2 miles but I enjoy riding there because it is quiet and there is so much to see. There is coastal scrub, wildlife like turtles, manatees, variety of birds, and of course plant life. There is a nice picnic area, fishing, access to the beach across A1A, not to mention the formal gardens.

This park is what I like to call a “hybrid park”. I enjoy visiting and riding alone but it is also a beautiful spot to bring family/ friends and still get in a ride without feeling guilty or neglecting anyone. While others are digesting their picnic lunch and chatting, I can do a quick ride and hardly be missed. :slight_smile:

ahaha yeah… But really I think any trails here are fun because they are so few and far between. and the lack of hills kills me…but…I love florida so ill deal with it : ) We get the beaches : )

We get the beaches! That’s a great way to look at it. I did a Coker ride on the beach at Hanna last Sunday. It was like nothing you could describe in words!

Anyone have touring routes they want to share? I have two on mapmyride.com. My id is hawthornbloom. The route to the North Entrance of Guana, I haven’t done yet. I just planned the route. But it looks good. If all goes well, I’ll extend it out to the beach.

You never know when you will bump into a fellow unicyclist. Always an unexpected pleasure.

Danny, if you’ve registered and found this thread you have to check out another. I know you don’t do mountain unicycling… YET. But check it out anyway. :slight_smile:

Per the tip above, I checked out Guana today. Nice ride to put some miles on, but not spectacularly technical terrain either. Nice scenery (saw a ton of armadillos and dolphins). Purely for the riding/challenge aspect I like Fowler better, I’d say. Total package: Guana is quite nice.

Somehow picked up 4 ticks, too. :astonished:

Thanks for the tip about the ticks. I had read that mosquitoes in the summer are quite rampant but hadn’t considered that ticks would be so bad. I think I’m going to make a regular ride to explore all it has to offer. I’ve mapped out a route so I can get to it from my house. With a full camelback of supplies it could be a nice full day of riding. And thanks to the recent interest in making our roads biker and pedestrian friendly, there are more possibilities for real destinations without using a car for any leg of the trip. It’s about time, Jacksonville.

lol i have never had a problem with ticks there at guana, but one time i was just riding my 24" dx along…and at the last second, i see this huge rattlesnake stretched across the trail…i was like 3ft from him and it scared me so bad i stopped completely at top dead center and fell straight on my back…then immediately got up and sprinted a few feet away leaving the uni where it was, LOL. then i threw some sticks at it from afar to get it to move and it did and i was on my way. I wouldve hate to not saw it though, if i ran over it, itd probably double back and strike some part of me. luckily i had the shin guards on though lol.

I don’t like snakes lol.

lol i have never had a problem with ticks there at guana, but one time i was just riding my 24" dx along…and at the last second, i see this huge rattlesnake stretched across the trail…i was like 3ft from him and it scared me so bad i stopped completely at top dead center and fell straight on my back…then immediately got up and sprinted a few feet away leaving the uni where it was, LOL. then i threw some sticks at it from afar to get it to move and it did and i was on my way. I wouldve hate to not see it though, if i ran over it itd probably double back and strike some part of me. luckily i had the shin guards on though lol.

I don’t like snakes lol.

What a freaky time to fall all the way down! I’m sorry I am laughing. Cause it’s funny now… but I’m sure you were not laughing then.

I’ve yet to encounter a snake in the middle of the trail while I was riding. Sounds like an adventure I need to experience.

Would anyone in the Jacksonville/St. Augustine area be interested in teaching me to ride?

well you must learn yourself! but im willing to help…and a few tips never hurt

Cool.

I can’t seem to get past like 2 revs.

I think I might’ve seen you riding in downtown St. Aug a few weeks back on a yellow unicycle?

yeah I have a yellow nimbus trials

The bridges loop (Main Street and Acosta) or looping on the Acosta by way of Riverside makes a nice ride. Friendship park is there for other skills practice (not trials though).

There’s always the new market under the Fuller Warren on Saturdays. I haven’t checked that out but it sounds nice.

I’m in this area weekly on Thursdays. There are plenty of joggers, bicyclists, and skateboarders. Unicyclists are outnumbered. :frowning:

Greetings Jacksonvillians (and otherwise), from your neighbor to the South :slight_smile:

Cross-posting from here to say that I’ll be up north (…-er, at least) to Santos for this Sunday if anyone would like to meet up. BrianP is likely, and I may have some other Tampa/Sarasota crew members in tow as well.

Also continued welcome for anyone who swings down this Gulf Coast direction, for meet-ups urban or muni either one.

Enjoy your weekend and enjoy your ride in any case :slight_smile:

billnye
John M

Dang. . .I’m headed to Key West this weekend, otherwise. . .

hey

Hi, My name is Luka. I was looking for unicyclists in jacksonville. I live also on baymeadows. I hope you still live here. I m not from USA. I m in visit here. I have my weel with me here. maybe we can met sometime. I m in jacksonville 2 and 1/2 months more.