I've got the Profile bits!

My Profile hub and cranks have finally arrived. The only way I can really describe them is beautiful. I love them!

You can see photos of them at http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuo16

Andrew Carter

p.s. I love my Profile hub and cranks

Aah, it must be love if you’ve even photographed the box… :slight_smile:

Good photos, though… I’ve never seen a profile setup up close; those photos were very informative.

The photo of your current uni reminds me of my old one, with cranks that aren’t even remotely opposite each other…

Phil, just me

Phil,

Even the box is beautiful. It’s funny because as bent and twisted as my current uni is, I’ve gotten used to it and when I ride my friend’s uni (which is all straight) it feels really strange. The fact that the hub is bent like you said is actually handy at times like for mounting. It puts the second pedal that I step onto (the right one) back towards me a bit.

If anyone is looking to buy the Profile setup and wants me to take some specific photos of the hub and cranks please ask.

Andrew Carter

What kind of tire do you have on your uni? looks pretty fat and knobby for a 20…

It’s a Minute Man. It was given to me by the guys at the bike shop. It’s not huge but it’s also not bad and was a massive improvement from my original slickish tyre. It’s really worn out now though and many of the knobs are falling off. I think it should hold out until my 24" is finished.

Andrew

48 splines, huh? Must make it hard to get the cranks perfectly opposed…

-Jon “Not jealous…really” :wink:

Jon,

I’m actually considering having the cranks at something like 170 degrees or so instead of flat. I probably won’t but this does put the second pedal closer when mounting (although not necessary). Actually, come to think of it I won’t do this. But yes, it may be hard to get the cranks perfectly opposed.

Andrew

It’s no problem at all. It’s very easy to see if you are about to put the crank on wrong. Even being just one spline off is very noticeable.

I don’t see any evidence of grinding off the spider as happened on my Profile setup. My right crank also has a threaded hole on the inner surface that had something to do with the spider I assume. Is Profile manufacturing hub setups specifically for unicycles? I bought my hub about a year ago.

Bruce

Bruce,

Although you can’t see it, my right crank arm also has that threaded bit on the inner surface with a screw in it. Where is the evidence of grinding off the spider on your Profile setup?

Andrew

When I bought my Sem XLW with the Profile setup, John Drummond told me that they grind off the spider and buff then paint the wound so it’s hardly seen. It’s been awhile, I’d have to look at it again.

Bruce

yes,thats why the 145mm Trials cranks dont have a threaded hole in the right crank.not haveing that hole there is cosmetic bonus…

My friend (well, kinda) has a 145mm profile setup on his flatland bike, and im pretty sure that t’s got a hole.

But it does cause some confusion when you take booth cranks off and can’t remember which one is the right and which one is the left. One of these days I’m going to scratch an L and an R on the cranks.

ya i know yours came with a L and R sticker because there black (rust) but to my suprise my chrome ones had an L and R etched on the back.

some may prefer that but it kind of pissed me off that someone carved sloppy letters into my $99 dollar purchase :angry: stickers are more better,they can simply be takin off.

personally i am smart enough to take the time hand threading the pedals in before i install my arms.i dont mind the extra effort,i do mind someone elses handwriting on my stuff.

Re: I’ve got the Profile bits!

On Wed, 4 Dec 2002 14:51:54 -0600, john_childs
<john_childs.f5n2b@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>But it does cause some confusion when you take booth cranks off and
>can’t remember which one is the right and which one is the left. One of
>these days I’m going to scratch an L and an R on the cranks.

Alternatively, for the dyslexic, you might scratch an arrow to the
left, and one to the right.

Klaas Bil

Nearly 85% of the people killed by lightning are male.

i quite liked the sketchy writing that said “145”
it ads a sort off hand made aura to them.

i’m jelous that some of you got stickers to tell left from right, i just had to use my wits.

it did ocour to me that you could put them on a few splines out so that you get that extra locking power that bent cranks give you, but i too dismissed it as a silly idea. due to the fact that you sometimes need to hop with your weak foot forward.

if you have cranks with a hole in i’d be sure to fill it with epoxy putty to stop the water/mud geting in and rusting your expensive cranks from the inside.
i seem to remember somebody saying that the dm atu cranks used to die from this. or somthing similar (maybee inside the pinch bolt area)
posible similarity to the new norco cranks?

Mine came with L and R stickers on them. But the stickers quickly fell off. Now I get to use my wits.

some may prefer stickers but it really pissed me off that someone carved sloppy letters ( i mean sloppy,like drunk sloppy! ) into my $99 dollar purchase.stickers are more better,they can simply be takin off.

personally i am part smart enough to take the time hand threading the pedals in before i install my crank arms.i dont mind the extra effort,i do mind someone elses crappy handwriting on my stuff.

(i’ve decided that im a little bit more pissed off now that i’ve been reminded of the ingravement,so i felt the need to post a revised version.)