Its here!

My KH unicycle arrived last night:D I spent the evening fiddling with the Wilder rail bracket and the Thomson seatpost, and drilling new holes in my carbon fiber base for the bracket. I was a little nervous about cutting the Thomson post, but I eventually did it at school today with a pipe cutter, which worked fine despite the oval inside of the post.

It did turn out that 28.6mm is to skinny to work in the KH frame without shims. It was ridable, but the seat twisted pretty easily with the seat post clamp tightened. Unicycle.com is sending me a 27.2mm post (free of charge), which will work with a shim.

I didn’t actually get to ride to much today, between the excessive amounts of Ice (snow is ok, but ice is just no fun most of the time), and a pain in my shoulder that I’m pretty sure is a re-aggravated snowboarding injury (it kept me from riding for about a week when it happened). I’m going to the Chiropractor tomorrow to figure out what the deal is. From the riding that I did do, I love the unicycle. The 3.0 gazz is the most noticeable difference. Its way bouncy. It doesn’t ride on the road as well as my Kenda Kolossal, but rides offroad much better (Although I haven’t had a chance to try it on a proper MUni ride, I only rode it on some bumpy ground and icy hills). The wheel has a lot more momentum than a 26x2.6, which takes some getting used to. The frame seems very light, and has a great footrest for Gliding. Gliding on the Gazz is harder than on the Kenda. It will probably be easier once the tread is broken in a little. I haven’t had the chance to do any big drops or other trials stuff yet, but its great having the peace of mind the profile cranks give you.

I think the Avro rim looks much better in real life than it does in some of the pics online. I’m very happy with it so far.

All in all, I’m loving this thing. People at my school are very impressed with it, especially the tire.

More the come once I’ve had a chance to really put it through its paces.

Ben

i think i said this before,but for referance if you use a 28.8 seat post it will work

if you ditch that crappy little seat post clamp it will work even better.

the shim is good for the 27.2,but if you ever want to ditch the shem(they wo’nt last forever)the way to go is a 28.8 post and a beefer seat coller.the one on the KH reminds me of a road bike coller.

as for seat collers i would suggest a salsa or a profile

Thanks for the review. I appreciate it, as I hope to buy either the KH 24 or the Hunter 26 eventually. (I’m a little low on money…)

I(and other as well) would also appreciate another review, maybe after you’ve ridden it for a few months. It would be nice to hear how well it is holding up.

Caleb “Wishes he could afford a KH 20 and a Hunter 26” Penner

Vote For Her!

Yep - first thing I did was go out and get a Salsa clamp. I like going with
the 27.2 seatpost and have had no problems with the shim which appears to be
very well made. It’s better to have standard sized parts and 28.8 is pretty
far from a standard size.

—Nathan

“jagur” <forum.member@unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:a3t0rh$9df$1@laurel.tc.umn.edu
> i think i said this before,but for referance if you use a 28.8 seat
> post it will work
>
> if you ditch that crappy little seat post clamp
> it will work even better.
>
> the shim is good for the 27.2,but if you
> ever want to ditch the shem(they wo’nt last forever)the way to go is a
> 28.8 post and a beefer seat coller.the one on the KH reminds me of a
> road bike coller.
>
> as for seat collers i would suggest a salsa or a
> profile

the shim is very well made.i’m accualy useing it on my Profile(i paid to keep it when the KH went back)

standard is better,but its nice to know that Thompsom makes just about every size of post including 28.8;)

Maybe so, but unicycle.com doesn’t have any 28.8 Thomsons. I doubt the shim will ever wear out.

Ben