Inspiration

Chief! Your mount looks excellent! Congratulations on your progress. Looking forward to seeing you on the “thighs chafing” and “help me choose my next unicycle” threads.

Superb progress you can still do more videos you’ll be amazed at how much better you will get every week. You’re only making a few hundred feet now but that’s because you’ll be very inefficient with managing your energy. After you start to relax and stop fighting yourself when you ride you will be able to ride indefinitely. Now is the time you just take your unicycle just about any where since you can free mount just throw it in your car and play around in any new place.

Once you get the hang of this one you’ll be ready to upgrade to something bigger and learn almost everything again.

My goal is to get to a 29" for road/light trail riding. There are a lot of great places for me to ride once I can manage more distance.

Chief

The 29" is a great all rounder I got myself the Nimbus Muni without a brake and it served me quite well. Has a nice thick 3.25" tire and you can ride on practically anything with it. It will look pretty intimidating next to your 24" but you should get the hang of it and your static mounting should transfer over pretty well just you’ll need to add a jump to it.

If I plan to do say 80% paved riding and 20% light trails (I’m talking dirt/fire roads, not real muni trail riding), would you recommend the 2.x" road tire or the muni version? I’m not doing this to commute or save time, more for fun and exercise.

Chief

Need to correct the attribution-- this was UniMyra’s thread

but the video is from Terry Peterson.

Chief

You would probably be fine with a road tyre since you’re riding on pavement more and it’d be fine on dirt roads. If you plan to ride off the trails into rough grass or mud the thick tyre is great. It’s also a lot of fun riding off pavement so I’d probably vote for a thick muni tyre because you’re only limit riding on difficult terrain is how much strength you can put through moving the wheel.

But you could just buy 2 wheels and switch them out and see what you prefer. Besides if you really like riding on pavement and distance just get a 36" later down the track.

Thank you

“I’m not doing this to commute or save time, more for fun and exercise.”

Then my vote is Muni all the way!

You’ll quickly find that riding off road is a fun exercise.

Maybe eventually. I work full time and go to grad school and have a family, so more time away at the trails is out of the picture for awhile. I have a nice paved bike path that follows a canal right outside my office at work, plus some nice bike paths right by house, so it will be paved riding during lunch break and a bit on the weekend.

Chief

Agreed with my colleagues out there. A 29" with a Maxxis Ardent 2.4" tire is the way to go. It’s a tire happy on the trails and the roads.

yeah having family is bad. they take away precious unicycle time when they don’t (dare/care to) ride themselves. I generally only manage to ride every Saturday. Just too little. Uhm work is needed to get money to buy new unicycles :smiley:

For fun and exercise, stay off the road! ride the sidewalk, or the grass next to the sidewalk, or next to the curb, or next to the path, or make your own.

Due to a lack of unicycles with offroad tires to borrow, we had someone on a 29" with a road tire on our recent weekend Muni ride. Worked well for everything but steep mud, all the light trails (including a few roots and rocks) he was fine on. So my vote would be go for a street tire first (Schwalbe big apple or similar). If the trails you ride on are smooth and hard packed, there is really no reason to have an offroad tire, it will just suck your energy. Tires are super important on difficult terrain, steep sections, etc, and can make a big difference to the difficulty you can manage there. On fireroads/ smooth dirt roads, the only thing that changes is the effort you need to pedal, not the terrain you can manage.

Also guys, what’s up with the “You should do Muni!” under every beginner post in this forum recently? Even if people have a very clear idea of what they want to do, it seems that someone is always trying to convince them that they should ride Muni instead, a bit odd I think…

Yeah, my opinion, leave muni till you can ride a uni with a hand on your handle the whole time, when you see rocks/tree roots etc, you must keep your hand on the sandle. You also want to have a decent ability to maneuver your uni. Muni is mentally and physically taxing and I think beginners shouldn’t worry about tackling bumpy muni paths till they are proficient with smooth paths and can make all the turns they want while keeping a hand on the handle.

Agreed, I made that mistake… soon after I could ride-ish I rode only off road for a solid year if not more. And it engrained all the bad habits so hard (weight not fully in the saddle, balance corrections with the upper body, back pedal pressure because riding behind the wheel and so on) that years later I still struggle when riding on the road.

…which begs the question, “Do beginners have a very clear idea of what they want to do?”

The first time I rode off-road, down a hill near my house, I felt it was the most awesome thing ever. I did not know I’d feel that way prior to riding down the hill…just to answer the question What’s up with the “You should do Muni!”…?

There is muni and there is off-road riding. My second uni was a KH26 muni and I very quickly took it to the forest. Because of all the pits and bumps I believe I learned to keep my balance quicker, even though I didn’t at first have one hand on the seat. At some stage I felt like riding on sandy roads was easier than riding with the muni on paved roads, because there is more friction, especially when turning. Turning in sand is easier. Nowadays I like a mix of paved and sandy roads and do keep one hand in the air when off-road. So I’d say, let beginners do what they like when they feel they are ready.

I’ll be done with school in about 1.5 more years, at which point I’ll have more free time–I live near the Santa Cruz mountains in California and we have awesome trails around here in the redwood forests, so I will try muni then.

But first I’ll start with the road/bikepath riding. My goal is to upgrade to a bigger wheel by this summer. Strongly considering a 32…

Chief

I’m just going to say it…I think your second unicycle should be a muni. I don’t think 1.5 years of road riding is going to prepare you for muni. What will help is to start riding on uneven and resistant surfaces. I bought a “road” unicycle somewhat early-on, during the period when I was still fascinated my riding long distances. After spending time with the road unicycle, I found road riding to be a mixture of fear and boredom. I ended up converting my road unicycle to a 29" muni. Like you, Chief, I live next to awesome trails.

IM(somewhat less than)HO, here’s the correct order for your unicycles:

#1: what you have
#2: 27.5" muni
#3: a nice trials/street unicycle.
#4: 36"

Sorry, 32" doesn’t even make the top 4. Just my opinion, take it or leave it, I hope others chime in.