If you are on Strava...

I feel the need to make it known that I didn’t want a separate uni category. I hope it’s still OK me being in the club!

I can’t generally be bothered naming my rides, but I do select the “bike” I was riding when uploading so it should be easy to see which is which. Apart from that, the vast majority of my Strava bike rides are on road (I’m barely riding a bike off road at the moment) with average speeds of 18+ mph. I think my fastest average uni ride is ~13mph (actually that’s not so bad for a uni - though I’d likely average 20+ on the same course on a bike).

I’ll have a look into creating a new ID though - shouldn’t be too difficult to transfer the rides across as I just need to collect all the uni files in the right folder and I can upload the lot in one go, just rather a lot of work to delete them off the old account one by one.

The first rule of Strava uni club is…well apparently there is no unicycling- at least officially.

I’m conflicted on whether a specific unicycle category helps. It just starts an arms (or legs) race. Next we’d want a 24", 26", 29" and 36" break out- x2 with a geared hub.

As long as one of your rides is on a unicycle and you are part of the community I don’t really care what rides you are posting. It’s just nice to see my friends are out riding- I can give you kudos for just being active.

The club is defined as a ‘cycling’ club so no kayak or surfski paddles! Unless you want to.

pax

Joined the club. I try to prefix my uni rides with [mono] and additionally I select proper “bike”

When I go into Settings->My Gear->Add bike, then I have an option to select first Name and second Type of the bike. But that’s true that recenly type of the bike is not shown when you’re looking at rides, just the name. Some time ago in some view you could see if it was Road ride or MTB ride, but maybe they changed it back to Ride once they added more types.

Some nordic skiing and roller skiing (and running) in there at the moment. I even have a nordic skiing KOM, 1 of 1. Not really sure why I Stravaed those (everything gets uploaded to Garmin Connect, I select those to Strava), I doubt I’ll bother putting any paddling ones on.

Thanks Pax for starting the club on Strava. I’m enjoying it and it is definitely pushing me to get out more on the unicycle. :smiley:

Just downloaded the app, looks interesting! I joined your club, I’ll try to use it next time!

I’m glad to see several more people have joined the group recently and that people are inspired to ride more. I love that there are riders from all over the world in this club- and on this forum.

It’s not ‘my’ club although I am the one able to make edits. Although the name is a bit long I wanted anyone searching for groups related to unicycling to easily find it. Surprisingly there were no other one wheel specific clubs at that time.

Any one up for a club ride?

We’ll pick a day and everyone has to record a ride (no matter how short) and wherever they are. We’ll see how many we get for the day. Maybe once a month and we can post the total in this thread and announce the date for the next months ‘club ride’.

pax

A club ride might be fun. It’s good to have a little kick-in-the-backside every once in a while to get out and ride.

Nice idea, I hope I will be able to record some ride :slight_smile:

Is there a way to delete a ride? I accidentally left it on after a 1 mile little ride… and then drove home.

Not sure on that, but on the website you can setup a privacy zone where it’ll automatically stop tracking you. I think you select a postcode (eg. your house) and it’ll never track within a mile of it :smiley:

There’s like 7 trailheads within a mile of my house =(

When you are inside the ride you have actions (somewhere on the right in old view and left in new view). There is crop ride option to cut just the bit or complete delete ride as well.

Thanks! Just trying to fix my name now. I changed it but it’s not showing up any different on the pages.

I see Dane Mehl (Unicyclist) in our Strava group.
I personally prefer to have both my uni and bike rides in the same place, so sorry, but I will spoil the group leaderboard with bike ride from time to time. My uni rides have [mono] tag at the beginning of their name and bike name that says it all.

I joined the group in Strava and had a general question. Is it appropriate to track things like practice? I spend a good amount of time practicing rolling hops riding back and forth in a small area and also spend time practicing coasting at night when trails are closed, usually riding around the block on the sidewalk. It seems like a good way to track my time at least even if these are not strictly “rides”.

I think it would be a good idea. You might be surprised by how far you actually would have traveled. One suggestion would be to tag your ride with whatever you where working on. That way we can follow your progress.

Makes me wonder how precise the gps is, and if it would actually be able to track your distances very accurately.

That’d depend entirely on the device you’re using to track yourself - Strava just takes the .gpx files your GPS device/app produces and turns them into something readable :smiley:

I had wondered pretty much the same thing. It looks like it could be fun to join in but I don’t know what Strava would make of two-hour practice sessions where I never leave my driveway.