If a multi geared hub were available, would that make the 36" wheel obsolete?

Looks lovely!!! could it have a disc brak mounted to the the hub as well?

I tried but this is not possible, not a big issue as KH has disc on crank, it’s better for a 36" (wheel stength), my design allows crank spacer so it’s better than Schlumpf

Ok, I understand :slight_smile:

So if I order now can I have one for Xmas please? :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Sorry, which year ? I had a long discussion with Florian diring last Unicon. He knows about my drawing as I sent him prior to Unicon, he had a look on it, and he confirms that is works but is worried about reliability as there are a lot of parts, price and weight are also possible issues. I porposed him to develop and produce my hub, but he adviced me to do what he did himself 10 years ago, to built a prototype and then sell it.

Obviously BMX has a completely different set of requirements, just like trials. 29er is 700c.

They all exist for bikes, too. And there are people who ride 36" bikes for those reasons. Like, three guys.

Hey Tom, I caught your mistake, so I fixed it for ya :wink:

Seriously though, even Kris says he likes riding a 36er and says that the 36er guni is one of the best uses for a guni, so maybe you got some thick arse blinders or whatever, but you are most definitely in the minority.

Told ya so :stuck_out_tongue:

Meanwhile, back in the bat cave…

I just finished adding some tension to my 36er wheel, repositioned the bike computer, and gave her a big squeeze; I love my 36er :slight_smile:

Temps have dropped, finally, so tomorrow I’m gonna do some fast dirt/ gravel road riding with my bride.

Dedier-

That’s a very pretty picture.

It looks like the planet gears have an engagement length of about 5mm. This defines the amount of tooth engagement for the gear train. You’re also calling for a tooth count of 96 for the ring gear. The gear tooth engagement is very small for that design.

The planet cage looks like it is made with a very thin walled construction. Maybe it’s even in two parts but I can’t tell. This looks fragile for the amount of stress that the planets and planet cage experience.

The sun gear seems to be moved by a lever that pushes a pin that contacts only one side. This would tend to tilt the gear on the slide spline when trying to move it and it would want to bind. Maybe it’s three-fold symmetric and I just can’t tell without an axial view. The spline seems to be thin walled as well.

There are a variety of small, fragile parts in the assembly any one of which could easily break and jam the gear train, especially the springs.

So does that mean you’ll be giving it a go?

I have spent wads of cash more than once on ideas I had for new products, I probably put $2000 into fabrictaion costs to build a better telemark binding over the past couple years, much to the chagrin of my wife. Then along comes this guy and he makes something works and that was so much easier (and obvious if I had been looking) so I copied him and added my own “backend”, so now I have what I wanted :slight_smile:

There are a whole lot more failures than successes, such as my $900 ti uni frame that took four iterations and six months to produce, but still failed and it’s just money and time gone…though that was more due to the person I chose to build it than material itself :o

Don’t even get me going about my “dry land ski” experiments gone bad, that was many thousands of dollars lookin for a way to ski dirt and grass during the warm season; I gave that idea up and started riding bikes again, now unis.

If you can build it and sell the hubs as beta units with the understanding that the buyers are going to pay full price (your cost), be responsible for assembly/disassembly, and pay for upgrades over time, I’d be more than willing to “buy in”. Think of it as a community project.

So Harper, care to help him make it work?

I’m not an engineer, nor do I have time to go back to school and become one, but I’d support the project with $$.

It’s pretty obvious that with our current technology, a 36 guni is one of the best uses for a guni, because the high gear is 54", which is still very low for a high gear but better than anything else we have. My assertion is that if we had bike-style gearing (wide range of choices, small gaps between them, easy to shift), there would be very little reason to ride a 36.

I care to help him make it not fail. This is best done by pointing out weak spots in his design rather than suggesting what his gear ratios should be, how many gears he should use, and whether or not the hub should incorporate a disk brake. Lever shifting multiple gears in a hub with no freewheel is an extremely difficult problem to which several people have devoted quite a bit of engineering thought. Engineering input during the design phase is usually quite valuable. Telling someone else to do it is rarely productive.

Any multi-geared hub would be much more expensive than the fixed hub that is still the standard (based on sales numbers) for unicycling. The lack of maintenance and reliability of a hub with no moving parts will always appeal to some riders, and to many riders when conditions are such that contamination of a geared system is a factor.

I could see the multi-speed hub taking some of the market share of the ungeared 36, but the relative affordability of a ungeared 36 is appealing.

That’s fair enough, but, even if we had ‘bike-style gearing’ (which we don’t, and, given that even bikes with ‘bike-style gearing’ in the form of hub gears, are very rare and expensive, it’s unlikely that unicycles in the near future will either), as you’ve seen on this thread alone- plenty of unicyclists will still ride 36-ers, because of their unique ‘feel’ and ride characteristics.

As in, they’ve actually listened to your points and replied ‘I’ll still want a 36-er’.

Plus, of course, there’s the aforementioned trait in a significant number of unicyclists that they aren’t interested in any form of hub-geared unicycle, for reasons of purity/mechanical simplicity, which means that any development in gears won’t affect their choice of wheel-size.

Thank you Greg for your support :slight_smile:

5mm is same as the Schlumpf; there are 6 planet gears, same as the Schlumpf

planet cage is made of 1 single part, planet gears axis are fixed on both sides of the cage instead of overhang for the Schlumpf, my design is probably better

There is only one pin as you can see on the top right views, I checked this point based on the dimensioning and there should not be arcing risk. Splines are not made of 8 grooves as the Schlumpf but made of involute splines as for a car gearbox clutch (for example 33 teeth with module 0,75mm)

yes for sure but a Diesel engine high pressure pump is much more complicated and still reliable

Yes, I’ve been reading these forums for a long time as well. We, the people who post here, represent the minority of unicyclists. We are not “the market” for anyone except the specialty vendors, starting perhaps with KH as the “most mainstream.” Companies like Coker and Nimbus know who their markets are, and build for them. I myself am one of the people who broke a bone riding my 36", and chomped at the bit to get back on it afterward. But the vast majority of 36" riders are not roadies.

My 45er will. :wink:

But it doesn’t ride as nice. 45" for parades and showing off; 36" for fitness and comfortable rides.

Except for all those people who ride them for the reasons why most 36" owners ride them.

I think you know this, but please give more weight to Harper’s suggestions. Unlike the rest of us, he has built one, and had others built for him as prototypes. The reliable diesel engines of which you speak are the result of 100 years of constant (expensive) refinement. It’s a lot harder to get things right on the first try! Both he and I would love for your design to succeed.

Could you clarify this a bit please? Who, in your view, are the people who do purchase the majority of 36" unicycles?

http://www.freeborn.co.uk/saracen-2012-urban-clever-mike-bike

That’s a mass production brand bike at half the price of a Schlumpf uni.

Yes, it is, and seems to contradict onewheeldave’s assertion that

Onewheeldave goes on, however, to mention that it is unlikely that unicycles in the near future will have comparable capability. The reason this is true isn’t related to the price and availability of bike parts. Were that true, this wouldn’t be an ongoing challenge.

Unfortunately this bike uses a free-wheeling, cog-driven hub. For use with a unicycle an internally geared hub must be bi-directional and axle driven. Those are the design goals and they are extremely difficult to meet.

Yes, well, I’m sure there were high-wheelers who claimed that they still wanted a high-wheeler when this new-fangled “safety bicycle” got invented.

Early bicyclists used large front wheels for exactly the same reason that unicyclists do. As soon as a viable alternative came on the scene, the large wheel was relegated to an extremely small group of enthusiasts and curmudgeons. There’s absolutely no reason to expect that unicycles would be any different.