Idling

Fair point. But I’m old fashioned: I believe that wheels are round so they can roll. Some unicyclists prefer to believe that tyres are rubber so they bounce. :slight_smile:

Yes! My wheels are round AND made of rubber so I have options. On rough terrain, rolling back (for an idle or a mount) could make matters worse, so hopping often makes more sense. Unless you’re trying to do things the hard way (beyond the obvious fact of being on a unicycle), and challenging yourself. Such as in the philosophy of Rolling Trials, where the idea is to NOT hop.

Do you have a video of the Rolling Trials to cover the same distance where you would otherwise fly through the air from one sewer pipe to the next :–)))

I don’t think I’ve ever idled on a trail. But I often do some “stillstands”/coming to a stop and turning in place or very occasionally I roll back half a revolution. Idling can help teach you the unicycle control you need for that. Or, alternatively, you can learn the unicycle control over time practicing other stuff, and idling will be easy one day.

practice Half rev backwards mounts and do that for months until you idle I learned of the mistake lmao