I was going to buy a Nimbus muni then ....

Someone, I don’t remember who used to have that in their sig.

I’ve been looking at a 24" to replace my cheap 20" learner and to do a mix of improving my off road ability and some jumping and basic tricks.
Thanks joggerdude for highlighting the deal of the week at UDC. Everyone raves about KH unicycles but I’m not clear why. I’d happily go with either the Nimbus or the KH 24" Munis but my only experience so far is with Qu-Ax.
So, anyone want to convince my why I might choose the KH over the Nimbus (as linked in joggerdudes original post) or vice-a-versa? :slight_smile:

UL

I just compared my nimbus gel seat with my kh street and the street is flatter. I find the kh much more comfy.

:smiley: Nice one :smiley:

So, joggerdude…did you decide?!!
What might we be seeing photos of you on in the near future?

UL

I have been trying to decide on my second uni for some time now, so don’t expect a decision anytime soon, plus I’m still trying to master my current Nimbus 20".

I have ruled out the KH though.
I do think the Nimbus is the better buy, despite all the hype over KH unis, so it’s my most likely choice as of now.

I will post as soon as I decide.

Go…take the plunge!
I’m similarly uncertain how to proceed. I have a cheapo 20” that I initially learned on and the 26” Qu-Ax Muni. I prefer learning things on the smaller wheel where I have more confidence and am also struggling a bit improving on hills (going up) and lumpy stuff on the 26”. I want to work on jumping up and down stairs, riding backwards and idling. I’ve started that on my cheapo uni but it’s definitely not up to the jumping and, when I want to do a quick lap of the garden for fun it struggles on the grass.
I was going to upgrade it to a decent quality street 20” with more volume in the tyre but I’m not sure if I’ll get enough use out of a 20” going forward. Then I thought I’d plump for the middle ground and get the Nimbus 24” Muni but most people comment that the 24 x 3” set up is very similar to the 26 x 2.5” which I’ve already got.
I’m wondering if the 24 x 3” will be just that little bit smaller than the 26” and with a bit more volume in the tyre to allow me to have the confidence of a smaller wheel, the volume to jump/ride over rough stuff and a Uni that I can get more use out of. I could then either put a road tyre on the 26” or upgrade it to a 29” when I’m ready.
Oh to have someone nearby with a Nimbus 24… :roll_eyes:

UL

This is a useful discussion on the merits of 24" vs 26", including one good comparison photo.
[THREAD]84265[/THREAD]!

May help your decision.

What a great find…cheers dude. I’ve hunted all over looking for side be side comparisons or explicit riding comparisons. The comments about the 24 do seem to tick all my boxes so perhaps 24 is going to be different enough from 26 and broader in scope than the weenie 20".
Maybe I shoud stop procrastinating and just get on and get one!

UL

Remembering when I was in similar position back in the day I bought one KH26 and in less than 2 upgraded :
pedals
seat post
seat
seat post clamp
tire
crank, brake and frame
then mount a new wheel in order to remount the discarded parts (except saddle and pedal that I dislike and ardent tire that is not strong enough for my weight) and leave this backup muni in my parent house in order to avoid muddy muni carriage then I visiting my parents.
Buy the way I bought one 24" to in the same time…

At your place I would go for :
24" Nimbus MUni - Black
+Magura HS33 Brake - Black, 2011
+Magura Brake Clamps
==========>or better HS33 2014 )

+Nimbus ‘Flat’ Unicycle Saddle - Black (ask you seller if it’s possible to upgrade the saddle for less…).

Even if you have to buy 2 saddle it will still cost less than one brakeless KH !

An other fantastic improvement will be to buy one Schwalbe Big Betty.
I begun muni with a lent 24" duro what make me choose to purchase a 26" with an other tire" !
Big Betty is far lighter, roll better, clean mud faster, better on wet rocks… I use one in 24" and one in 26" !
Marked 2.4" in spite of marked 3" for the duro but look at the real :astonished: measurements :
source tartybikes

source Feisty’s post

OK…I’ve hit the buy button on the Nimbus 24"…if nothing else I’ll be able to compare 'twix the 24" and 26" myself and draw my own conclusions. Now to book tomorrow afternoon off work so I can go out to my favourite trail and try it out :slight_smile:

UL

Hope it works for you.
Let us know how you get on.

JD

Personally I’d gone for a trials. You get the volume, strength, and confidence, it just doesn’t roll over bumps well.

W/ it you could learn all sorts of tricks and trials moves that you could later take to the trails (you could do this w/ the 24 but they’d be harder).

For me the fact that it doesn’t roll over bumps well is a plus. I have a hard time rolling over a couple inches on a 20, but UPD’s are less scary so I get very agressive w/ it. Then when I get on my 24 Muni 4+" bumbs weren’t that bad. Then I started working on many in a row (20 then 24).

Excited…

Knocking off work in an hour to play.
I’ve stuck with the stock seat until I’ve tried it out.
It was a tough choice in the end but there are far more second hand decent 20" unis about so if I still want to get something small for messing around on I can pick up something a little more cheaply.

UL

Oh, I do love seeing that UDC box on the stoop…

Well I headed to my lake trail as soon as I’d put the Nimbus together (a 3 minute job!). It has a mix of uphill/downhill slopes and lots of exposed roots all of which have thrown me on the 26" Qu-Ax. I know that my problems are not really with the Muni but rather a mental barrier to trying to ride over obstacles.
When I arrived I realised I’d left my gloves/wrist protectors at home…quick dilemma whether to risk it without…of course I’m going to, after all, I haven’t had a face plant for months. Went through the normal problems mounting at first but then rode across the potholed car park without any problems. Obviously I then immediately face-planted going down on my hands grazing the palms so they were completely numb!
With numb hands (thus no pain) I headed off on my trail to try some hills and exposed roots. The 24" is far easier to climb slopes on, downhill is similar to the 26" but the roots I flew over without a second thought…I could barely feel them.
Now it’s probably true that the 24x3 is running at lower pressure that the 26x2.5 and I’m sure this will have helped.
Free mounting the 24" felt a little easier. I didn’t perceive much difference to the 26" but I noticed that mounting on uphill slopes and steep cambers was much easier.

After a pit stop at home to collect my gloves I headed to Greenham Common to try some of the familiar tracks there. Took some comparative snaps of the 24" Nimbus and 26" QX-Series just because I’d struggled to find good side by side pictures anywhere on the web. I’ll do a write up later of a comparison between the two and include photos and measurements just for future forum members with the same questions as me.

Normally I stick to the made up paths and even struggle a bit on them but on the 24" I was off into the trees riding over all sorts of debris…frickin’ brilliant :smiley:
Obviously slower on the flat than the 26" but this suites me to the ground at the moment. I hope I’ll be able to take the confidence and (minimal) feel of riding over obstacles on the 24" and translate them to the 26" over time. I can kind of see why a 24x3 and a 29x~2 would be a great combination.
Anyway, if width of smile is any gauge of appropriateness of choice then I chose well! I’m sure I still need a new 20" though :roll_eyes:

UL

Smart Uni.
Great choice.
Enjoy … :D:D:D

I hope to get mine in a week or so.

Well if you follow suit you won’t be disappointed (assuming you have similar criteria to me). I’m keen to get out on it again but man do I ache this evening. Fingers crossed for some dryish spells at the weekend.

UL

Nice looking uni! I love the black and the look of that fat tire. Bad a*s.

I am liking my 24 too. I went back to this size after learning on a 20 and 24 some 30 years ago and then getting a 29. I think a good compromise between the speed of the 26/29 and the agility of the 24 is the 24 with shorter cranks-- say 137mm.

Anyway, I found I can ride much more on the 24 than the 29 (never had a 26) and that makes it more fun for me. I’d rather ride more slower than have to walk with the uni, esp. uphill. I’m also on the small size, which I have found is a factor for optimal wheel size for tough muni. For road/light muni, at least for me, the bigger the better, but that’s another story.

At some point you may want to upgrade the seat. I’m not a big fan of the Nimbus Gel–too much padding, and too much curve, but of course upgrade only when and if you feel you need to.

Have fun!

Doing a lot of stretching of the affected muscles will get you back to normal a bit faster. Much better if you had done it immediately after your ride.

I do this sometimes. I’ll do a new or extra hard workout and be REALLY sore the next day, but if I had stretched that area a lot just after the work out, none to min soreness. Sometimes I forget and start the next day, then the soreness lasts 1 or 2 more days instead of 2-3.