I bought an electric (self balancing) unicycle

I have put over 100 miles on mine and dumped it and dumped it and dumped it.
Still runs great. I believe that makes comment on quality of the goat. How many people out there have put an honest 100 miles on their wheel and how long did it take?

Well I wasnā€™t looking for fault. I was just a bit surprised that it took 30 hours to learn to ride and was curious as to how the learning curve would factor into sales.

Anyway, it sounds like it doesnā€™t take a full 30 hours to get to the point where you can do simple rides. It sounds like the 30 hours was to get to where you could do comfortable extended rides.

I donā€™t know about electric ones, but for manual unicycles many people, including me have put 100+ miles on one, some people even in one day.

Searching for fault? No, not meā€¦ I just pointed out that despite the fact you claimed you hadnā€™t seen one SBU on Ebay, there was in fact one out there. I was simply informing you, thatā€™s all.

But I will say that as far as SBUā€™s go; yeah, theyā€™re not like riding a 4-wheeler or even a bike. I have no doubt that it did take some time to learn how to ride one, just like it takes time to learn how to drive a car, ride a bike, etc. Congrats on learning how to ride one, and luck to your wife. I hope that itā€™s a step in the direction of you riding a real unicycle.

However, I will never be convinced that learning to ride an SBU is as difficult as riding a real unicycle. And I will also never really be convinced that riding an SBU is remotely close to riding a real unicycle. Itā€™s fairly similar to riding a BC wheel, but not a standard pedal unicycle.

In 1987 Takayuki Koike rode 100 miles in 6 hourse 44 minutes.

Iā€™m definitely not searching for fault, Iā€™m just a smart ass with an opinion and a tendency towards sarcasm. :roll_eyes:

100 miles in on day is superhuman. I bow down before that rider. Kudos to anyone who has done 100 miles. It takes about an hour for an older person (me) to get a simple ride. The scary thing is the aspect of instant speed. It takes a while to control the speed and not get yourself into a bad situation. I donā€™t get any point and laugh, I am really not in one spot too long. I get a lot of wow and go man. I have surfed and there is a touch of surfing in here. It is joyous without the sweat. I once saw a unicycle driving towards me. I stopped and shouted ā€œhello cousin!ā€ He was in high school and was wearing a helmet with horns. He was a bit taken back, When the weird meets the weirder. He thought I was from Mars. I live in State college, Pa. Any unicyclist want to give it a spin, contact me. I own two. We can get a good two sided opinion on the goat.

A mind is like a parachute. It only works if it is open

Ever ride a bc wheel? I havenā€™t. I donā€™t know if it is similar. I like to keep my opinion inside my experience. My legs are getting stronger. I may have to, have to try a standard pedal wheel. Once I get some information, I might be convinced that there is no similarity between the two. Until then, I will keep an open mind.

Youā€™re right, I conceed. I have no idea what Iā€™m talking about and will shut up now. I was silly to speculate despite general logic and my own experience. Perhaps it was the ā€˜Self Balancingā€™ in itā€™s title that threw me off. But since Iā€™ve never ridden a ā€˜Self Balancingā€™ type unicycle, all of that general logic and previous experience doesnā€™t mean a thing.

Iā€™m sorry to have been so foolish, and from now on, Iā€™ll be sure to keep my mind open.

Enjoy the forum, when youā€™re ready to learn crank-flips, there are some excellent tutorials out there.

:D:D:D:p:p;)

Hey Goat Rider,
Thereā€™s another thread running and just the other day the MTB riders were giving crap to the UNI for being different. (he even has a pink tire).
Now youā€™re catching crap for riding an electric.
I say enjoy your toy. Live, laugh and learn.

Now I want to strip down a Rascal, or equivalent mobility scooter, and put 36" wheels on and cruise at 25MPH. :smiley:

Help wanted - Brave rider

I believe I need a unicycle rider to try this thing. I am having a good experience
And would like to share it. Again, I live in State College , pa., main campus of Penn. State. I own two. Where are you brave rider? If I lived in Utah, I would have no problem. Them fellas are pretty spirited. Donā€™t let me down Pennsylvania, where are you brave rider?

Really? No one is giving Goat crap for anything. All I was stating is that there is little similarity between riding the two. If he wants to ride one, more power to him, thatā€™s great.

TeeHeeā€¦Donā€™t get all fired upā€¦No names were mentionedā€¦:D:D:D

Great line! Made me chuckle. :slight_smile:

If you ever make it down to the DC area I would like to try it. I donā€™t have any plans to be near State College any time soon.

room for all kinds?

Well, I donā€™t have much of an opinion on whether the SBU is really a unicycle, but at least based on a basic definition it fits the bill. Donā€™t forget that not all ā€œtraditionalā€ human powered unicycles are pedaled either (sometimes they are wheel-walked or coasted).

It seems that the SBU suits Goat fine and I think he should be commended for trying something new. Iā€™m 56 and thus a bit older than Goat, but Iā€™m always looking for new challenges, which explains my move into large wheeled unis at my tender age.

If I have a problem with SBU or the other electric unis (and bicycles) itā€™s that they defeat one of my primary purposes in riding unicycles: exercise. Believe me, anything I can do that will prevent sliding into a deep and irreversible physical (probably mental, too) decrepitude should be embraced with open and unfettered arms (a real plus with a unicycle since my arms are always unfettered unless Iā€™m holding onto the handles of the 36" or 29").

Just wait you whippersnappers, your time is cominā€¦

Face planted today

I turned it off to switch from pavement (too busy) to street (downhill). Got in the street, turned it on, turned it off ( I wear big rawhide gloves) , mounted, push, I am on my face. I pop up Monty python style ( full pads & helmet) , turn it on, stop and talk to skateboarders, ride home. The goat does not ride well at all when it is turned off.

Ouch! Thatā€™s one way that non electric is better. :roll_eyes:

Face plant = face plant. Pilot error, he does that

I have face planted plenty of times on my non electric uni. :smiley:

Most recently being last weekā€¦

Have you ran the battery dead or down enough that something changes.
Does it get progressively more unstable? Or just hits some preset limit and shuts off?

I inadvertently turn it off, finger switch - error on my part, as I switched terrain. After I hit the ground, my first thought was full systems failure, a product of adrenalin, shock . After I calmed down, I realized I had turned it on and carelessly switched it off. I am a retired state trooper. I investigated accidents as part of my gig for 20 years. The machine didnā€™t fail,idiot driver turned it off.
Life goes on, riding to work in an hour.