Hubless unicycles?

I actually had to go down to my garage and measure my trials uni to confirm the fact that you were right about the crank length. Looking at their pictures I would have sworn that it was the equivalent of 170+mm.

1 Like

Yeah instinctively you’d think that the pedals would be almost scraping on the floor, but tyres are big chunky things!

137mm

This is fantastic to see someone bring this to reality! But why assume that it was made CNC? I could definately see making one in my garage. No CNC in there, Please do not diminish their talent to produce this with skill as a prototype. Mass production at a reasonable price would require tooling to be made, once made no more CNC machines necessary. But my point is that a lot of thought and effort have gone into this UNI, how they produce this is secondary.

1 Like

You are far better at fabrication than me if you could see making one in your garage.

Still working on my Lefty project !

I don’t really like that the center of the wheel is hollow. What if we slip a leg inside during a fall?
I look forward to see interesting posts in What Was Your Worst Unicycling Injury? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

That was exactly the first thing I was thinking when I saw that uni. It is bound to happen. Even a UW has at least some of the cross bars to prevent this mostly.
I also really wonder how strong such a set up is. The inner ring must be strong enough to allow hopping without turning into an egg-shape. Then it will end up like a Lunicycle, but with seat.
What is the price of such a toy?

Looking back, when I said all CNC I guess I meant to say milled and totally custom, rather than the normal rolled extrusion that rims are typically made from these days.
I think it’s a fair assumption that most stuff’s done with CNC though. I don’t recall the last time I saw someone use a rotary table on a manual mill.

I’d never mean to suggest a lesser talent when things are done by CNC rather than manually though. The CAD CAM work involved is never quite as trivial as it sometimes seems at first glance.

Once it deforms it’ll no longer rotate.

2 Likes

But the Star-of-David-like or extended octagon shape of some UWs seems to be even more dangerous to me. Got caugt with my foot in one once and it wasn’t fun. thats why i built mine with a full plywood surface.

1 Like

Naturally you can still slip through with your foot, but I also noticed after a lot of practice you learn when you’re about to lose control, so you can hop off right before. I wish my knees would stop complaining, so I can ride it again. I sometimes wonder if I could still ride it after I get knee replacements (in the far future).
But this one was just a prototype then? They haven’t been put up for mass production? Seems like a fun thing to add to the collection, if not too overpriced.

This one is actually a prototype, you’re right. They should hopelly go for mass production in 2022. No price has yet been given. Wait and see!

Where is the brake disc going to be? :smiley:

4 Likes

Maybe free floating

9 Likes

Caliper supported from frame at top under frame to rim attachment point. large diameter disc attached on rim along with pedal mounts similar to Buelle disc on Harley Davidson

1 Like

Same Solution as on the Buell 1125ers:

Photo from https://motomag.com/

1 Like

That makes it even more dangerous if your foot ends up through the middle of the wheel. It will be cut straight off

2 Likes

hubless, legless.

3 Likes

So it’s been ridden for trials:
https://fb.watch/7sHJsclFuh/

I’m impressed, but at this point I remain in a position of thinking it’s very cool looking but almost certainly worse in almost every other way compared to a conventional unicycle.

4 Likes

I have had the chance to test the prototype yesterday, so here is a quick feedback.
The first impression I have had was that it is really heavy. ~6 kg for a 20er, that’s a lot for people like me who are used to high-end unicycles. It’s like a carbon 36er :laughing:
It rides like a normal unicycle, there’s no difference in balance. But the bearings need a lot of improvements. Currently, they give the impression that we are riding in the sand or with a disc rubbing on the pads. They make a lot of noise, too.

So, I personally find it’s a great design but it needs some improvements to be useful. Wait and see for the future! :grin:

Some pictures:

4 Likes