How to Shave your Trials Tire?

I imflated mine to about 40-50psi, so that it was pretty hard. You can see the shape of the tyre better this way. I then took the wheel out of the frame and took the cranks off just to keep them out of the way.

I reckon a Intense micro knobby in 19"x2.7" would be sweet as for flat/street. On rocks and concrete it would have more grip than a Trials tyre I think, as the small pins would grip into small crevaces etc.

micro knobbby.jpg

19"x2.7" !?

Where ?

I don’t think Dandelion meant that it was available. I think he was saying that it would be his ideal tyre. I think he’s got a good one there, now we just need some manufacturers to realise there is a market for this type of tyre.

Monty.

I am surprised that nobody has taken a page from the early 29er MTB riders and started making frankentires with the tread off a 20 put on a 19" casing.

It would not be that hard.

It’d be pretty hard considering you’d have to shave you’re 19" tyre first. The whole point is that if so many people want a shaved tyre then why aren’t they being produced?

Shaving a tire is not so hard and maybe not even necessary for a tread swap. When I made my home made tire casing I was able to peel the tread rubber of the casing of my donor tire. Doing the same on the casing you are gluing to would both remove more weight and be much faster than shaving the tire.

So peel, peel, glue, should not be too difficult. I am going to give it a try once/if I get my 19 back from my friend in Montreal.

I have been giving it some thought. Not to be a nay sayer, but dont you only have one experience with this technique? What are the chances there are other variables and challenges that may come up with different tires and different brands?

yup only did it once, good chance I got lucky on the brand/construction of the tire.

How is the glue holding up? and what kind did you use?

I actually ended up throwing it away since my casing was pretty uneven, the tire was more of an experiment to see if I could make something that would work for a 32" wheel before attempting to modify a rim and get custom spokes etc.

I used contact (rubber) cement for everything. Before I threw out the tire I did a bit of a distruction test cutting it and trying to peel it apart. It was really hard to peel the casing apart and peeling off the tread was about on par with peeling the tread of the original tire.

I actually ended up throwing it away since my casing was pretty uneven, the tire was more of an experiment to see if I could make something that would work for a 32" wheel before attempting to modify a rim and get custom spokes etc.

I used contact (rubber) cement for everything. Before I threw out the tire I did a bit of a destruction test cutting it and trying to peel it apart. It was really hard to peel the casing apart and peeling off the tread was about on par with peeling the tread of the original tire.

This is pretty much exactly what we need, just in a different size. Anyone here work for Maxxis?:smiley:

No thank you. Just ride your current trials tire, rotate when needed and you will get a tire that looks just like that.

For street and flat the problem is the side knobs. Those are the ones that tear up jeans, cut through skin, and mess with the smoothness of turns and rolling wraps.

Side knobbies are the worst part about using a trials tire for flat (especially when they are new and sharp). In fact I’d say something to the likes of the opposite of what you posted would be what we need, although a “mohawk” tire would not be the most comfortable sensation while rolling around and turning. Straight smooth or something like the micro knobbies would be better.

There seems to totally be a market for a “pre-shaved” style tire here. Are the tire manufacturers reading this?! Man, if I had access to a tire manufacturer I’d be all over this!

I shaved my old try-all with an electric planer yesterday…:o sort of rushed it cause i don’t think i could be stuffed putting it on anyway. I hit the belts and ruined the tyre in the middle although it got the side knobs off really quick. if you have an electric planer and cbf cutting the knobs off with a razor its alot quicker just dont set it too deep and be very carefull cause i have experience with buzzers and i still buggered it up big time. I did plan on sanding it back too but lack of sander killed that idea. it worked just dont buzz the middle

I had a near death experiance once

I told Wendy I thought she was going to fast, as she piloted my '65 econoline with bald tires down the hill in the rain. I wasn’t so good at brake maintenance either and as the light at the bottom of the hill turned red my van hydroplaned through the intersection. There was a pickup truck barreling towards us on the left and I figured he wouldn’t stop cause he had a green light and he didn’t, passing so close to my nose going 45 that I was sure for a bit that I was one of the Marx brothers. And they were all dead but that liked that close call gag while they were breathing.

Ever since this event, I have found bald tires and sticking brakes unhumorous in the extreme. Perhaps now I will rethink slightly. I was all set to replace my bald CC as a reflex action. Now I guess I will run it a bunch longer.

I still retain my hate for old motorcycle and car tires. :astonished:

tarty bikes sell a slick try-all but only in 26" , i think they used to have them in 19" :thinking:

they sell these tires since a long time:p and they dont make them in 19", but it would be cool for flatland riders.