How to Shave your Trials Tire?

I think Kris wants people to recognise that is a KH. But I’ll let Luke inform you further.

I had the '05 frame with the paint stripped. I got the new unicycle with the sponsorship, I don’t mind it blue. Kris doesn’t care how it looks, as long as i don’t cover it with koxx stickers :stuck_out_tongue:

Of course… I forgot about the good old 19" rim. lol

Yeah i saw you and the wheel at uninats

Where did you source your luna from?

Lunas are on UDC for about $50.

Very.
I used one for a UniHoki machine for a while.
I’ve gone back to the 20, but still miss the ‘monster’ look of the 24Hookworm.

He got a new KH unicycle after he got sponsored by Kris Holm

Peter M

Edit: didn’t read the last page :stuck_out_tongue:

maximum grip on almost all surfaces except; loose dirt, mud and polished/very smooth floors that are wet.

Add, ice, snow, rock, anything that isn’t flat.

Infact, having a slick doesn’t add any grip on any surface, it just makes your ride smoother, and turning easier, and spins on the ground easier, and spins in the air harder.

And wheel walking is probably easier

Maybe, depends how the tire reacts with your shoes.

I think that it would be harder with my shoes, they have small close together groves.

Sometimes my foot gets stuck in the knob:D

I sometimes have a problem where I don’t lift my foot up off the tire near the end of the push, and my heel makes noise on the knobs.

Maybe it isn’t so good for gliding though, as for me I need some good friction between my foot and tyre to slow down - on the bald patches of my tyre it just slides :frowning:

I think we can safely say you have more grip on smooth surfaces, like gym floors as there is more tyre touching.

so why do they use slick tires wherever they are allowed in motor racing on hard surfaces? the surface has to be very non-flat before tread makes a difference, rough enough for the sticky out bits of the surface to stick in between the treads on the tire.

look at the tread pattern on a tire, and look at the hard surface you are riding or jumping on. with slick tires the whole surface of the tire can deform into the macro and micro structure to give traction. with a treaded tire you loose all the contact area between the tread blocks because it cannot contact the surface.

here is a link to the bike gospel, and his tire page, according to sheldon brown.

I somehow didn’t think of polished surfaces, but that is probably because I never get the chance to ride on one. :o

This is a Unicycling forum, but yes, for something heavy and going fast, it makes a big difference. You’re also adding to the fact, a car tire has a rectangular contact patch on the ground, while a Unicycle tire is going to have a oval patch touching the ground.

Or thumbs as I would know all too well.
I did it to my creepy crawler. It probably wont last very long but it feels great!

It will be fine… as long as you didn’t cut deep enough to see threads.

Jerrick says his bald Creepy Crawler has stopped wearing down (considerably) after the nubs are all gone.

Oh really. Well It’s still got bumps from where the nubs there. But it’s still as smooth to ride as anyones. I love it.

Also, I found it helps heaps with doing backflips as there is less grip on the ground making it harder to spin.

I was amazed at how much weight shaving it took off. I only started to collect the knobs in a bit of newspaper half way through shaving it and the weight of the knobs shocked me. I didn’t think it would make any difference to the tyres overall weight.

Shut up, Reef.

Its true. I was expecting to start seeing threads of the tire months ago, but I haven’t. I havent even rotated the tire in months.

Its kinda weird really.