How to remove the pedal from its spindle?

How to remove the pedal from its spindle? I can see the spindle, but nothing whatsoever fixing the pedal to the spindle (no screw, no pin, nothing). And the pedal obviously rotates around the spindle, so what do I unscrew or grab & pull or do whatever? Thanks!

I want to remove it because after a totally insignificant fall, my left pedal is “bent” on its spindle… or at least that’s what it looks like. At first it was bent really badly, and I tried in vain to kick the pedal back into shape. Then I rode about 1 km, and it miraculously got better, but not back to alright. So I assume either the spindle is bent (but then why did it get better?) or the pedal is misplaced on the spindle. So I’d like to remove the spindle, see if I can fix it… and then either fix or replace it.

(At least that’s how I also understood this thread: bent pedals )

PS: I’m so frustrated. It happened when I tried to commute home for the first time… and after about 40% of the way, wham! So I finally rode back to work, got my uni and myself on my bicycle and biked home. Frustrating!!!

It depends on the pedal, of course, but usually on most standard pedals, there is a small plastic cap at the outboard end of the spindle/pedal. If you pry that out with a small screwdriver or awl, it will reveal a nut underneath. Remove the nut (and any washers), and the body of the pedal will come off the spindle.

BEWARE! 30 or so little bearings will also come bouncing out. So, do this in a clean area where you can collect any bearings that escape. If the pedal is well greased, the bearings may stay in their cups, but if you aren’t watching, thet never happens and they go everywhere.

Good luck.

(Edited to add: There is some god info here: http://sheldonbrown.com/pedals.html)

There should be a cap on the end of the pedal that covers the spindle. I’ve seen them with no holes, with two small holes for a spanner, or with a wide slot for a large screwdriver. I have seen plastic caps and aluminum caps. If it’s aluminum it must be unscrewed. If it’s plastic it can probably just be popped of with a small screwdriver.

Under the cap there should be a lock nut on top of a bearing race nut. If you unscrew the nuts the pedal will slide off and all the bearings will fall out. There are bearings on both sides of the spindle, inside and outside. Do it over a rag so you catch them all.

Clean everything. If some of the balls are cracked get a new set at a bike shop. Stick the bearings back on with new grease. That will hold them in place while you re-assemble. Tighten the race nut on so that it’s against the balls but the pedal still turns freely. Put the lock nut on and tighten it. Getting the compression right takes a few iterations.

Depends what type of pedals they are. Most pedals are not designed to be user repairable. The screw or bolt that secures everything will either be directly attached to the visible axle or under a plastic cap on the outside edge of the pedal.

The issue is whether replacement bits will be available.

Ubernerd provides the link to Sheldon Brown’s page. Sheldon Brown is (was) the MAN.

Pedal spindles shouldn’t bend from insignificant falls, or even significant ones (normally). If it did get bent I would spend $15 on a new pair of pedals with CrMo spindles, and save the time in straightening the spindle.

At the shop I worked at in Chicago we had a tool for straightening pedals, that would do it while they were still on the bike. We had another tool for straightening cranks. Back then there were a lot of cheap pedals with mild steel spindles, and they would bend fairly often. Anymore those are a thing of the past. It sounds like you may have a pair though. If they are poor quality spindles you will be facing this problem many times before you finally decide to spend the money for new pedals that won’t have this problem. Odyssey twisted PC’s are a good candidate.

As for it getting better I can’t say. I will say that people get used to bent pedals, and that may account for some of it.

I finally managed to disassemble the pedal, and yes, the spindle is bent. (No, it “shouldn’t” be, but it is.) Any way of replacing the spindle without replacing the pedal?

(It is a Club unicycle; they say they use “Round Plastic Pedals”… either of low quality or I’m just unlucky.)

Installing a new pedal spindle is not very difficult as long as you use ample grease to hold the bearings in place (as said before, there are a lot of them). The problem is finding a donor pedal with the same spindle. Parts are usually not made available for cheap pedals. Good pedals last years, or decades. Cheap pedals are considered disposable. Not to say that there aren’t decent cheap pedals.

Even if you could somehow buy the parts you need I would bet that you wouldn’t be far off the price of a new pair of Nimbus plastic pedals, or Odyssey twisted PC’s.

For what it’s worth UDC has free shipping now with the “shipmefree” promotion code.

On behalf of all of those who took the time to respond to your initial question: you’re welcome.

Buy a new pair of pedals.

http://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-Black-Twisted-PC-Pedals/dp/B00132G148/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416076326&sr=8-1&keywords=twisted+pc+pedals

Yes, I’ll have to replace the pedals then, bummer. I live in Europe though, so I’m asking in one of the other forums for what’s available here. Thanks for all your help!

@jtrops: Good idea. I tried the two local bike shops. Unfortunately both declined, one of them even making some rather ridiculous-sounding claim about a liability issue (which I don’t believe him, but well).

Unfortunately not as ridiculous as you think… if it fails and you get hurt, you can blame them. Given the quantity of oxygen thieves around who would, they have good reason to be scared of repairing a damaged part.

UDC round plastic pedals are also known as little girl pedals. They are used by trials riders because they break a lot of pedals, so they might as well break lightweight, dirt cheap ones. The idea that they are worth repairing is lunacy.

If these are the same ones that come on Trainers, then I know the ones. At $10, they cost just a little bit less then Twisted PCs. I bought some other pedals to replace the originals with. I bought some Twisted PCs at the same time to have on hand. Both of those pairs developed a tick really quickly. Each time, I put the originals back on to verify that the problem was the new pedals and not crank creak or some such thing.

I have since rebuilt the nearly new clicking pedals and currently run a pair of them. The little girl pedals never had an issue requiring repair. They currently reside in my parts bin in case I need a known good pair again. Along with the rebuilt PCs.

Strange, they cost £3.50 in the uk or $5.50 including 20% tax.

That is odd. I just checked and the “united black pedals” are definitely listed at $10.00 at unicycle.com. The twisted PCs are $14.00 at the same place.

Fwiw, I’ve owned 3 or 4 pairs of twisteds and never had a problem, but ymmv.

xyzpdq

My mileage did vary. My first pair was fine, though. The pins have worn round, but that is to be expected. The second pair clicking was a disappointment.