How to learn unicycling ?

I started on grass… It’s good for confidence, but once I realized most falls leave me on my feet, I just moved to concrete and it helped so so much.

thks a lot

I find that it is helpful to be wearing leg pads and gloves on concrete. It just gives you that confidence boost to help you progress a little faster (and avoid pain!).
Speaking of pain. I am thinking of giving up the uni until spring. I just can’t seem to heal up and I think I will need more than a few weeks to get my back and ankle feeling up to scratch. I will miss it a lot but I just seem to tweak things even when I take it easy.:frowning:

k, got all the equipment ( glove, knee pad, elbow pad, helmet ). Used to snakeboard and rollerblade a lot. But really, falling is not an issue for me. come on, it must be easier than on rollerblade or snakeboard when your feets are strap to the wheels/decks. I am a slow elarner so will probably take 6 month before i can really be comfortable on this half bicycle/death wheeled object.

:stuck_out_tongue:

I like it! :smiley:

I feel like a slow learner too and it’s taken me a good while but it’s a great feeling as you keep improving and things do get easier. The trouble is then there are new challenges!

@burnerdave and all the others: I have taken the time to create a new video. I hope you like it.

Wow Hugo, that is so nice! You have some beautiful scenery there.

Nice smooth riding! You look very comfortable. Is that a 29"?

Nope. 24" QU-AX Muni (3.0" Duro Wildlife Tyre) with KH Moment 137/165 Dual Cranks and KH Freeride saddle.

That 24" looks like fun. Didn’t you get a 29er as well?

Yes. But the 29" is more for long distance in flat terrain. The 24" with the 3.0 tyre gives me much more grip and control.

Hey, this thread seems to have gone awfully quiet; is everyone out riding?

I guess I’ve been riding for about 6 months seriously now, hmm can you ride a Uni seriously? :smiley: I spent a while before that not trying very hard to learn on a borrowed 20".

Now at the stage where I can usually freemount, ride reasonable distances ( a few miles) and handle rough terrain and gentle uphills and steeper downhills. I wouldn’t call any of it proper technical Muni yet but reasonable cross-country.

Now trying to learn to idle, ride backwards and start hoping so I can tackle some more serious Muni.

I’m fortunate to have recently acquired a KH24" Muni and am very impressed with how much difference it makes compared to the Nimbus I 24" I learnt on. I’m sure a lot of the difference is having a better tyre, especially as it’s been soggy here, but it’s a real beast.

Hope everyone else is making good progress.

Hi Gadge,
Oh yeah, still riding! Still reading the forum and watching all the videos…Hugo’s and the rest !
I haven’t posted anything in a while…I’m just out there rollin’ along.
The temperature is now around 12 to 20C every day which makes riding a lot more comfortable than in the summer heat.

Gadge
I’m not riding anymore this year. I’ve been off the uni for about a month trying to properly recover from injuries. My ankle sprain seemed to heel but I think that it led to an achilles tendon problem because it was weak (and I seem to be getting old :p). Hockey season starts tomorrow and I don’t want to have to miss out on that. I miss it a lot but I’m looking forward to next spring. I went for a walk today on one of the trails I was riding and I spent half my time imagining I was riding my uni.
I’m saving up for a 29er or a 36er to ride in the spring to so I will probably do less hopping and more cruising.
I still follow this thread regularly. You are doing great! I would love to learn backwards riding.

Hi all,
I hope this thread is slow only because everyone is out there riding like me with not much new to add here. The weather is turning cool here now and I love it! I still work up a sweat when I ride and still can’t go more than 750 meters without UPDing due to leg fatigue. Still have too much weight on the pedals but time heals all. I just haven’t been getting out as regularly as I’d like. There are times when it’s a week between riding days. My 16 year old son is now out there with me sometimes trying to ride now using my 20". He insists on learning by trying to freemount and ride off! OK, what-eva! He’s able to get up once out of 20 times and then pedal about 3 revolutions. He’ll get it sooner or later. I kinda giggle as I get on my 24" and take off around the block while he struggles with it and watches me go over the horizon! yuk, yuk. And I yell, Yi-haa! as I ride off.
BTW, I turned 55 last week and uni is still the most fun I’ve had in the last 45 years. Yi-haa!

Happy Birthday^^^

We had a convention (ride the blootz*) over the weekend, with ~ 50 unicyclists from Germany (and Austria). It was no competition because the convention was organized especially for beginners (although we had quite some experiences unicyclists too). Just to ride together and to talk.

Here are 2 Photos:

*) Blootz is a local food, similar to pizza, but much better

Wow, Hugo, that’s a beautiful picture of the riders heading out into the sunset. It’s my screensaver for this month.

One of those girl’s has my unicycle!

New move

Yesyerday I decided try doing a jump mount on my 20" after watching a few tutorials. It’s not too bad after the first few tries. I only tried it for about 10minutes, though. Then I realized I had forgot to put on my helmet or any other protection!