How to jump stair sets(down)

Stairjumping writeup.
so many of you guys want to know how to jump more stairs, and to tell you the truth it isn’t that hard. From what i have seen the biggest mistake when attempting a stair set is that you jump out, not up at all. This method is almost as if you are riding and hoping that you make it far enough before gravity yanks you down.

so that is what i am basing this off of. you know how to get down stairs and are looking to do more. You can jump down at least a 4 set every time.

now, first thing to work on is rolling hops for distance. if you can jump 6 feet(most decent riders could/can with 2 weeks or so of practice) you can jump over the length of a 6 set, on flat ground. crazy right? Therefore, you can easily jump an 8 set IN THEORY. in fact, my sidehop is 7 feet, and i have sidehopped an 11 set.

a few things inhibit this
1)fear
2)inexperience
3)lining up at the top of the stairset.

The first two can easily be knocked out at the same time. start with a set that is REALLY easy to jump, make it a little harder, add something to the bottom to jump over, or set a point to make it over that is a few feet past the bottom step. as in the sidewalk off the 4 set for me. This builds confidence for jumping the next higher stairset(the biggest steps are only 8" high)

lining up the stairset, there isn’t much i can tell you here, later in the thread im sure ppl will say oh, this is the best, or this is, but i think its something that you learn on your own, and get good at over time, and as important as it seems jumping over that 6 set the first time, it really isn’t that bad to bail a 5 set, you can land on your feet easily.

now, the biggest tip i can give anyone, work your way up. it doesn’t matter how long it takes to find the right stairset, i would not suggest adding more than 2 steps to what you have done previously. anything more than that is a noticably higher drop and will affect your landing even if you can hit the distance. I went from a 6 set to a 9 set with a crappy run up (it was pitch black too), that was a HUGE difference, and i was lucky not to hurt myself.

i have a short video to look at ifyou don’t know what im talking about. if you can’t grasp it, i suggest not doing bigger stairsets.

the crappiest video job i have ever done, but it should give 1/2 decent examples of what i’m talking about

ok, one more example, just for a little extra help.
if you look at this picture, i am a good distance over the set, but still above my takeoff point. the farther you get above it(x axis, not Y), the farther you get past it. i landed about 3 feet past the last stair on this one.

landing video, pretty self explanatory, too low of tire pressure in the clip.

Are you doing a tire grab in that picture, or do you always jump like that? :thinking:

tire grab, i always do something in the air, if you don’t you get all sketchy and scared from being so high for so long.

[QUOTE=skrobo]
Stairjumping writeup.
so many of you guys want to know how to jump more stairs, and to tell you the truth it isn’t that hard. From what i have seen the biggest mistake when attempting a stair set is that you jump out, not up at all. This method is almost as if you are riding and hoping that you make it far enough before gravity yanks you down.

so that is what i am basing this off of. you know how to get down stairs and are looking to do more. You can jump down at least a 4 set every time.

now, first thing to work on is rolling hops for distance. if you can jump 6 feet(most decent riders could/can with 2 weeks or so of practice) you can jump over the length of a 6 set, on flat ground. crazy right? Therefore, you can easily jump an 8 set IN THEORY. in fact, my sidehop is 7 feet, and i have sidehopped an 11 set.

a few things inhibit this
1)fear
2)inexperience
3)lining up at the top of the stairset.

The first two can easily be knocked out at the same time. start with a set that is REALLY easy to jump, make it a little harder, add something to the bottom to jump over, or set a point to make it over that is a few feet past the bottom step. as in the sidewalk off the 4 set for me. This builds confidence for jumping the next higher stairset(the biggest steps are only 8" high)

lining up the stairset, there isn’t much i can tell you here, later in the thread im sure ppl will say oh, this is the best, or this is, but i think its something that you learn on your own, and get good at over time, and as important as it seems jumping over that 6 set the first time, it really isn’t that bad to bail a 5 set, you can land on your feet easily.

now, the biggest tip i can give anyone, work your way up. it doesn’t matter how long it takes to find the right stairset, i would not suggest adding more than 2 steps to what you have done previously. anything more than that is a noticably higher drop and will affect your landing even if you can hit the distance. I went from a 6 set to a 9 set with a crappy run up (it was pitch black too), that was a HUGE difference, and i was lucky not to hurt myself.

i have a short video to look at ifyou don’t know what im talking about. if you can’t grasp it, i suggest not doing bigger stairsets.

the crappiest video job i have ever done, but it should give 1/2 decent examples of what i’m talking about

ok, one more example, just for a little extra help.
if you look at this picture, i am a good distance over the set, but still above my takeoff point. the farther you get above it(x axis, not Y), the farther you get past it. i landed about 3 feet past the last stair on this one.

Thx. im gona have to measure how far i can side hop. then im gona take a while to attempt that stuff. Thx!

don’t base it on a measurement, work you way up.

Thanks man

My mate does an 8 set in his new vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I42DEmhiUEc

It’s pretty kool, i gotta try it :astonished: