How to hop

I’m just sure I don’t get enough height to clear a 6" curb. I could set a camera down and see if I really would clear a curb. My biggest obstacle is FEAR. I’m afraid I’ll wack the curb and go down.

I’ve been riding (at various levels of ability and enthusiasm) for 22 years and never put any effort into learning to hop. This year, one of my projects is to start to include a little bit of that sort of thing in my riding, not as an end in itself, but to help with rocks, roots and obstacles. This thread has been a big help, thanks.

I spent 20 minutes or so of today’s ride on the KH24 just hopping about the place.

I think anyone who can freemount and ride can do one or two little hops on the spot. The difficulty is with hopping with any height or sense of control.

I let a little bit of air out of the tyre, and just hopped on the spot. Once I had a rhythm going, I started to tuck my legs a bit and I was probably getting the tyre 8" off the ground. Hopping a foot or so sideways is fairly easy.

But I really do have a psychological problem with hopping onto something - even a 4" kerb.

Another thing: it’s hard work physically. I was sweating like a chav in a tie shop after ten minutes of it.