How should I paint my unicycle?

I’ve been wanting to paint my unicycle for a little while now, problem is I don’t know how to do that. If anyone has painted their own unicycle, I would love to hear your process & know what paint you used!

1 Like

Lots of threads on this already, but I am interested as well :slight_smile:

What are your plans for colors or themes?

1 Like

Honestly, I’m not sure! I wanted to do a sunset gradient (yellow, orange, pink), but I don’t know how much harder that would be than just painting it a plain color.

1 Like

The quick and dirty way of painting a unicycle is to just disassemble it, sand it down with fine sandpaper and give it a few coats with a can of spray paint. Auto parts stores are a good place to find a wide selection of spray paint, much better than hardware stores. Doing it this way is cheap and easy, but not very durable.

If you want it to last you’re going to want to apply a clear coat afterward and use a real automotive grade paint, not the touch up spray cans.

2 Likes

+1 to what others have said. Having painted my unis several times now best to sand down as much as you can, clean off the dust with a clean clothes, get a really good direct to metal primer (I use grey tremclad spray), apply your colour in one or 2 coats if you’re doing a light colour you’ll want a few more coats same with a vivid colour and get a clear coat to go over top, when it’s dry to the touch you’ll spray on your next layer as per the instructions

Then don’t touch the uni for a week and give time to properly harden

2 Likes

Thank you guys, I’ll keep all this in mind when painting my unicycle! When I paint it, I’ll post a picture here (although that might not be for a while since I’m an expert procrastinator)

1 Like

What is your frame made of? Surface prep is different for aluminium and steel.

1 Like

It’s steel

Not really a diy option but powder coating could be an good option.

One of my first jobs was a powder coating Quality controller for a powder coating manufacturer.
Powder coating can provide a hard protective coating and has a lot of colour choices.
Maybe the KHs and others are powder coated.

A fine powder is sprayed using special spray guns (hand held) onto the item which is suspended on a hook/wire and the item is then placed in an oven for a short time, where the powder turns to a gel coating.

I remember coating a bike frame with 3 colours in which the colours “faded” into each other at the transitions.