How much does a 3.0" tyre improve your hopping, gapping and dropping?

How much does a 3.0" tyre improve your hopping, gapping and dropping? I just went out and measured how wide/high/deep/long I can hop, and drop. It should be interesting to see how much I improve with more bonce in the tyre. Can anyone please estimate how much higher, etc. they could hop?

Thanks,
Andrew Carter

the only way i improved my hopping height and gapping was to go to a smaller wheel(alex 19/Monty tire) spanking trial with that 3.0 Gazz was like having a boat anchor strapped to my ankle…no joke!

Like Jagur said, I have a 3" tyre on my 24", but it’s heavy… I’ve not really tried jumping on it much.

On the other hand I went up from a 2" tyre to a 2.5" one on my 20". I dunno how it’s affected how high I can hop, as that’s mostly affected by practice; but dropping is a lot easier on a fatter tyre.

Dropping off a bench with the 2" used to be a painful experience… the tyre had very little bounce in it, so the impact was quite jarring. Doing the same with the 2.5" is much easier, it absorbs a lot of the speed so the impact isn’t anywhere near as hard.

Seems odd though… 2.5" tyre looks a LOT larger than the 2" one did. I dunno how they’re measured, but the difference is impressive.

Phil, just me

Yeh that Monty 19" x 2.5" tyre looks huge. I saw it on someones unicycle the other day and it looks way wider than 2.5". Does anyone know how they’re measured?

Here is more than you ever wanted to know about tyre sizing (with a load of links in case you wanted to know even more)

Re: How much does a 3.0" tyre improve your hopping, gapping and dropping?

For me, at least two inches, with a good pre-hop. Set up for the hop is faster, compared to my skinny 2.175, since the big wheel is so stable. Of course it’s heavy- which is why the prehop is important; starting the wheel moving from a stop requires a significant amount of energy -with a prehop, you get that for free. A mass in motion likes to stay in motion -just check out the buffet at Shoney’s.

-Christopher