How many old farts are out here riding?

Quitter! So get a snakeboard instead. Actually MUCH cooler, although some of the skateboarders seem to look down on them for some reason. Gets me some odd looks from the local skate kids, and from the neighbours, who think it a skateboard, and therefore that I shouldn’t be out alone on it at my age. But the council replaced the pavement stone blocks with some smooth tarmac, so it was obviously done especially for me. Same effect when riding the unicycle, which seems to be the main symptom of some advanced form of insanity.
Anyway I am too old for the old farts club. But a guy from the local club, rather older than me was still riding both his 20" DM and his coker at 66. Not seen him for a couple of years but he was enthusiastic and quite a fair rider too.

I forgot to tell what I have - Sorry

I forgot to tell what I got to ride. I bought a Torker 20 DX - sweet ride nice setup. I bought a second one already it is a Torker 24 LX - from a lady who never used it. Like brand new for $80 bucks. Another sweet ride - I haven’t gotten very far on the 24 - still trying to ride the 20 without falling off. Only logged 3 hours so far - will keep you posted. Why is it that if I get all my pads on I don’t fall, but if I try to ride without pads I bust my butt every time!
LOL :smiley:

Old Fart

Welcome to the club. There are more of us oldsters out here than you can shake a cane at.

I started at age 50. I really enjoy off-road and urban riding. I have 7 unicycles, the largest of which is a 29er.

I am currently working on one-foot riding but it is sooo hard. Not giving up. I will get this. Then it will be on to wheel-walking.

Try to find someone else to ride with. Your riding will improve much faster by being around other riders who can provide tips and encouragement.

I learned at age 49. What a blast. Lately I’ve been doing more distance riding on my 29er (if you call 10 miles distance). Every day after work. You’re only as old as you feel. I don’t feel much different than I did in my 20s. I actually weigh less now and am in much better physical condition. Got that way by bicycling but have kept it that way with my unicycling.

Count me in!

What ever happened to ‘Ronnie’ of Fort Worth TX, he had begun learning then disappeared.

well there was an “auld geezers” meeting at UNICON13.
I was supposed to write a report :roll_eyes:
basically:

• it is important that we advertise the sport as a good thing for “mature people” (are we willing to get the image of skateboard or of snowboard? so we need more videos that may be less tricky-trialy and more about the sheer pleasure of rolling)
    -is there a “special” way to train mature people ? (they may be slower to learn, they may fear injuries,…)

hope our number grows!
Welcome to the club!

Now THAT is a great idea. Many of the technical vids out there have certainly been an inspiration to me and have shown me what is possible on a unicycle, but a video of someone or of several people who do touring or distance riding might appeal to others who may not be interested in grinding stair rails or doing big drops. Something that would portray the discipline, determination, pain and joy of completing a challenging long distance ride or a climb over a mountain pass could also be inspiring. Done right with a good story, videography, music, scenery, etc. it could be a very good video.

(Sorry about the threadjack. I just wanted to comment.)

Mainly to blokes though.

I’m an old fart.

Been riding for about 18months though. I find both riding and buying unicycles extremely addictive.

Wouldn’t an old fartesse be more aproppriate? :wink:

No fartess would be descriminating against my right to be an old fart due to my sex and that’s not PC.

I’m 45 and have been riding for about 10 months. It only took about three months for the stable to double insize when I bought a 26" Nimbus muni. At the moment I’m happy with that, but I doubt that will last too long.

I’ll be 52 this January

Been riding muni for about three years and it’s by far the most fun you can have while working out, hope to stay at it for many years to come

Everywhere I go I see lines to ride

I have also met a lot of new people on unis that are now good friends

Hans

1. I just try and stay up with Hans . . .

Most of the guys we Muni with (Santa Barbara and LA crew) are college students but so far as I know none of us think of each other in terms of age, just effort. Hans and I certainly are never given any slack because we’re “old.” I never even think about it. The only huge difference is us geezers tend to take a few less risks owing to a slower recovery rate, but just the same one or more of our group (of about 8-10 steady riders) is usually busted up–it just comes with the rocky territory and shamless peer presure and goading to always go for the riskier line.

Muni is fantastic exercise and for us, great fun amongst a wild group of doods. When the San Diego guys join us it’s even greater adventure. I can see myself doing this hard-core for at least another ten years. Besty of all is we usually cook up a weekend ride(s) and post it around Wednesday and this gives us all something to look forward to–that next ride, hanging out there in the immdiate future seems to suck us through the ass end of the week.

JL

I just started learning last year at age 52.
Missed this whole summer of doing any unicycling or even b*king.
I have a 20", 24", and a 36" that I just bought this spring. I only got to sit on the 36 one time :frowning:
Welcome to unicycling. It keeps you young.

Geezers…

Date of Birth 10/25/46 Do I qualify? :smiley: :smiley:

Always up for new challenges, my alter ego, Elwood Blues, just took up surfing and boogie boarding (okay it wasn’t the ocean - it was the FlowRider on board Royal Caribbean’s Freedom of the Seas but it was a lot of fun).

When you finally ride that 36" you will feel like your 19 years old all over again.
There is nothing better!!

Adam

My winter coat comes in gray these days.

47 and Muniing most Weekends

If 47 qualifies me as ancient flatulence, then I guess I’m in. :roll_eyes:

I ride Muni with the San Diego Muni gang most weekends with my two sons (15 and 17 years old).:smiley:

Guy

What was this thread about again? Why is the font so small?

patmoore, i hope i can be like you when im an “old fart” you would be one kickass grandpa