how long did it take YOU to learn

It took me over a month to learn to ride. I’m doing well now. I need to learn to turn better and I’m going to start free mounting practice soon.

It took me about 4-5 days

well, I had very inconsitenet training. So it took me about 3 months to learn how to ride, free mount and start learning how to ride backwards.

[threadjack] I notice there are a lot of new posters in this thread, I just want to say welcome to you all and I hope you have a merry time in our fantastical land of wonders :stuck_out_tongue:
Charm [/threadjack]

Im back i fixed my internet!

Roughly 2 weeks as i remember but turning always has/always will be a problem for me for some strange reason :slight_smile:

took me two weeks til’ I could ride comfortably any distance

It took me about a month, but i did’nt peacticed much so it’s comes to about 20 hrs…

1.5 hours to ride in a straight line
2 hours to get turning down
6-8 hours to free mount
1 additional week to tie up loose ends to get riding around confidently
3 weeks to learn to think of people as obstacles instead of people

It took me 10 hours (spread out over 6 months) to ride 50 meters.

I have two kids and work full time, so I do not get much time to ride.

after 1 year ( about twenty hours) I could ride with my son on my shoulders.

I still can’t freemount, unless you count starting from a curb…I can do that.

Harry :slight_smile:

~4-5 hours spread out in 30-45 minute increments over a two week period… That was to get to the point when I could ride as far as I wanted, turning around, and at least 50% on free-mounting…

unicycle training wheels

to make a long story short…i bought a unicycle around 1996, and it was completely over my head. so i gave it up for 10 years, during which time i had started riding recumbents AGAIN (i had given THEM up as well, in the late 80’s, for a similar reason as not being able to master the unicycle-in a nutshell, “NO BACKBONE!” (kids laughed at my long wheelbase recumbent, and i would sneak around with it, til i just SOLD IT, out of sheer embarrassment.)
so i gave up the unicycle, but around the same time, about '96 to '98, i picked up recumbents again…only to give up recumbents YET AGAIN! for quasi-religious reasons!!!and then gave up the quasi-religiosity!!! at least it’s a blessed slow leak still coming out…
ok i lied it’s a long story but it’s early in the morning…so anyway, around '02,
i started running with my arms out, like i was flying…and then i started riding my mountain bike with my arms out, i think it might have reminded me of
the upright riding position on my old recumbent. and then i decided to get a recumbent AGAIN and then i had to try riding IT no hands. then on a whim
i decided to try unicycling again. the recumbent bike shop owner in town rode a unicycle, and that helped inspire me.
and somehow, all that riding no hands was training wheels for unicycling,
and i was able to ride 100 feet that first day.
and now i’ve gone thru a long learning curve, and am one wheeled commuting.
a friend of mine on the other hand was able to stay on a unicycle after only about 5 minutes of trying. not for very long, mind you, but still that boggles
my mind.

took me bout 10 hours to go where ever i wanted.my freind i got into unicycling is getting good fast scarily fast in the first 3 days i tought him to freemount,180 mount,ride as far as he wants, and he can hope about 20m cm

Learning to ride at the age of 35

I was 35years old when I learned to ride about 2 1/2 years ago.

I practiced about 20 minutes every evening after work.

I started out on a cheap beginner 20" and after 2 weeks I got an ONZA 24".

To ride accross a basketball court - 2 weeks.
To ride circles around the basketball court - 1 month.
To freemount 8 out of 10 tries on a regular basis - 2 months.
To be able to ride on dirt roads - 2 1/2 months.
To be able to ride of sidewalk curbs - 3 months.
To be able to jump up a sidewalk curb - 6 months
To be able to ride on singles - 6 months.
To be able to jump up and ride down flights of stairs - 1 year.
To be able to jump up onto a park bench - 1 1/2 years.

Unicorn

I was a slow learner for my age. It took me two months of almost daily practice before I could ride safely with others on normal pavement. The goal was to be in control of where the uni was going at all times, so consistently catching the uni after a UPD was a part of it. I learned in a circus club, and spectators gennerally don’t like having unicycles or unicylists crashing into them.

I am learning to ride. I have been practicing for about an hour a day and I started 10 days ago. I can ride OK and have some long rides in (1/10 mile) but I am not in complete control. I still get shaky after a 100 M and need to relax and put more weight on the seat. I spent the first few days riding around a minivan holding on to it and then branched out to unsupported riding. I also had my wife lend me a shoulder while I rode around. That helped at the beginning, but as soon as I started making progress on unsupported riding it was no longer useful. I am probably 10+ hours into it and am working on improving my turns and doing planned dismounts. My next goal is freemounting.

Total it took me about 3 days to learn. But after those three days I was totally mobile on a Uni. About 5 hours each day, maybe more.

i could ride 100 metres in 2 days. is this very quick because i always thought it would take ages?