how do I avoid rashes from the seat?

Whenever I get a good couple of hours in (with brakes) of practice on my uni I always end up with big red rashes where my seat rubs on my thighs. Any thoughts on how to avoid this or to stop it from bothering me when I try to practice with it hurting.

Thanks

Logan

I had this problem when I first got a Velo seat… the front is wider than the Miyata, and the first time I rode it was at a convention, pretty much all day.

Getting used to it plays a part, but I found cycling shorts help no end, or failing that non-abrasive trousers - ie. not jeans.

Come to think of it both my miyatas had wonky front handles too, which scraped one leg a lot… carving the handles a bit with a stanley knife helped.

Phil

I often get nasty rashes from riding my uni for extended periods of time too. I only wear jeans when i ride (this doesn’t help), and I’ve only had my uni for a week and a few days (this doesn’t help either), but my thighs have been taking less and less of a beating now that I’m more used to the seat.

Phil -
By biking shorts do you mean the skin tight kind or the thicker, looser ones that look more like bmx racing pants?

Everyone knew I was gonna mention it, but…

Dump baby powder, or for 1/100th the price, cornstarch down your pants, front and back before you ride, and then after about 30 mins when you start to feel discomfort

You’ll feel 100 times better, and when you gt used to riding, you won’t need it at all

(i still keep a baggie full of it in my camelback, just in case though)

cycling shorts usually makes the “boys” get cought undernieth me… therefore nutting myself

:roll_eyes: <-------

i found my legs built up big rough spots on them (like callosues on the hand (not callouses on the leg but same idea)

The red thigh rash thing is very common when learning to unicycle.

I think part of the problem is that learners tend to grip the sides of their seats more with there thighs than experienced riders. This leads to more friction and rashes. The solution is to spend more time on a unicycle and to conciously remind oneself not to grip the seat between your legs. If your weight is on the seat you don’t need to grip it with your thighs.

As several people have mentioned clothing makes a difference and jeans are not the best. I now never wear jeans because I am on unicycles so often and learns are just to darn uncomfortable to ride in. Bike pants make riding much more comfortable but not everyone feels comfortable wondering around wearing them in public. The basic rule of thumb is to find what clothes work for you while unicycling, including what type of underwear! Some people find riding in boxers much more comfortable while others prefer briefs.

Another big factor is the seat shape and design. I learnt on a Savage seat which goes a long way to explaining why I got rashes. While sitting on a Savage brand seat for 2 hours will guarantee raw thighs the effect of other brands will vary from person to person. Some people prefer viscount seats, some semcycle, some people swear by DM seats. You may need to experiment to find a comfortable seat that suits you.

As well as trying talc you may like to experiment with a lubricant like butt butt’r or vaseline. (warning, don’t mix talc and lubricants :slight_smile: These can be messy but if you are desperate to ride and the pain of chaffing is stopping you lubricants can make a big difference.

Some moisturising type lotions are handy for dealing with the after effects of chaffed thighs.

Hope that helps

best of both worlds

they make cycling shorts that have the lycra (spandex-like material) and chamois (pad, and sweat wicker) under a baggy, ‘normal’ looking short.

Comfortable, and wear-out-in-public-able!

I didn’t like the “shorts over lycra” thing -the shorts kept bunching up under me, and bothered “the boys”. I wear cycling shorts (changing into and out of then with a towel at the place I ride) because I don’t like wearing them unless I’m actually riding. (I drive to the trails.) I also found the seat adjustment to be very important. With the front (handle) as high up as possible, the thighs rub less and provides for a more comfortable ride. This might not work if your seat is not high enough. Also placing your butt further back on the seat helps. You’ll have to try several things and see what works best for you, but it does seem that it gets better when you ride more -perhaps we all just learn to deal with it.

Re: how do I avoid rashes from the seat?

Xref: news.tera-byte.com rec.sport.unicycling:16926

Wear good cycling shorts, either by themselves, or
underneath your regular pants.

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 16:30:23 -0600, nu_uni
<nu_uni.hqd0y@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:
>Whenever I get a good couple of hours in (with brakes) of practice on my
>uni I always end up with big red rashes where my seat rubs on my thighs.
>Any thoughts on how to avoid this or to stop it from bothering me when I
>try to practice with it hurting.