Hosting a Juggling/Unicycling Convention

Ok so it seems compaines wont take me serious and that my business will have to wait till my work load goes down a bit with shcool

Ok So now the real point of this thread. I have recently become the president of my Juggling Club here at the University of Pittsburgh. We got to talking last night and since the juggling convention was canceled in Cleavland this year perhaps we would throw one ourselfs. And since I am an avid unicyclist I thought a large unicyclie Jousting Tournament might be a fun thing to do. Also perhaps a Muni trip outside the city if people are interested.

Ok so I’m gonna start on working on getting a building to host this thing. And I dont really want a bunch of uptight jugglers taking over. Thats where the Unicyclists come in. We are probably looking at sometime in Nov.

I was just wondering if anyone had some advice on hosting these large events.

Also How many people out there are close enough that they might be able to make it up/ down to Pittsburgh for a festival.

Chex

Re: Hosting a Juggling/Unicycling Convention

> Ok so it seems companies wont take me serious and that my business will
> have to wait till my work load goes down a bit with school

You never posted your business plan.
>
> Ok So now the real point of this thread. I have recently become the
> president of my Juggling Club here at the University of Pittsburgh. We
> got to talking last night and since the juggling convention was canceled
> in Cleveland this year perhaps we would throw one ourselves. And since I
> am an avid unicyclist I thought a large unicycle Jousting Tournament
> might be a fun thing to do. Also perhaps a Muni trip outside the city if
> people are interested.

Congratulations, Mr. President. :wink:
>
> Ok so I’m gonna start on working on getting a building to host this
> thing. And I don’t really want a bunch of uptight jugglers taking over.
> That’s where the Unicyclists come in. We are probably looking at sometime
> in Nov.

A big heated gymnasium or field house would be excellent. Field house might
be better for unicyclists if they don’t have to worry about marking up wood
floors, and for track stuff.
>
> I was just wondering if anyone had some advice on hosting these large
events.

My advice would be to find someone who’s done it multiple times and grill
him until he runs screaming into the night. Have you done project
management stuff before?
>
> Also How many people out there are close enough that they might be able
> to make it up/ down to Pittsburgh for a festival.

Sorry, no.

Convention

First of all I resent you calling us jugglers uptight. Some of us are whiny and others arrogant and others are even just pricks…nevermind it was a valid comment. I am primarily a juggler with strong unicycle inclinations, but heck if you have yourself a unicycling jousting competition possibly with a championship belt I will definitely drive the 5 hours across state to participate. If you want to talk to David Smith go to threeproductions.com (threeproductions or threeproduction…one of the two) for his contact info. He organizes the Philly juggling festival each year, and that has been rather successful.

Anthony

I would absolutely show up for a Pennsylvania based unicycle/muni/joust gathering of any type.

I’m stranded all alone in Northern Virginia. If the conditions are right, I would drive that distance for just about any cool uni things your group might be pulling off…

Scott

I have actually dont large scale project management stuff before. When in Boyscouts (2years ago) I was the Senior Patrol leader, aka Youth Leader, of arround 100 kids. Yes I can call them kids because I was one too. I did that for 2 years planing camping trips and other events for 100+. On a side note I am an Eagle Scout and the last big thing to get that rank is a large project. So I figure I should with all logic be able to handle planning a large event.

I would still like to know from people that have done this kinda thing before, What problems to look out for, exe.

Also I know there are usually Merchandise booths set up at most festivals for Juggling equipment. But I have never seen any Unicycling stuff. Is there anyone who sets up Unicycling stuff. A Norco/Velo rep would be nice :slight_smile:

Thanks to all who can help