home made geared uni

your essentially creating a “larger wheel” through gearing.

the gears are fixed all it does is increase the ration but there is nothing stoping you from making a derailer and changing gears on a cog.

It’s exciting seeing all these homemade GUnis getting built up. Every time someone makes one of these, we as a community get closer towards affordable GUni designs. Keep up the good work!

hmmmm does this have anything to do with the “dakoroman drive system”?

because both of you are from sydney,australia.
-RIley

oh yeah. nice design, looks fun.

edit:and both of you have been online, at the same time, all day.

unless he has two computers and no life I doubt they are the same person if they have been online at the same time all day. It’s just because they’re in the same time zone that this coincidence has happened. If they were both the same person, it’s more likely only one of them would be online at a time.

its very possible that he could be on 2 accounts at the same time.

I have absolutely no connection to dakoroman and have no interest in any commercial venture and have questioned the credibility of the majic gear system after the 3rd post on the dakoroman thread pointed out that dakoroman had spammed every forum section.

Plus:

1.) Dangerdog actually rides a unicycle.
2.) Dangerdog explains how his project works.
3.) Dangerdog photographs his work and shares it.
4.) Dangerdog isn’t soliciting funds.

I don’t know how you’d go about making your own derailer, but a standard bicycle one wouldn’t work on a unicycle. They are designed to keep the tension there when force is applied to make it go forward, but they slacken off if the force is applied the other way - which is fine for bikes, but unicyclists rely on both the forward and backwards pressure to balance whilst riding.

STM

Update for my Guni.I have put a few more miles/kms on my guni and developed a bit of transmission play a quick dismantle to check things found that I am not a very good welder ,the input sprocket weld to the bb shaft had almost let go. Anyway it was easily fixed and all is well again. Monitoring, adjusting and modifying when required is part and parcel of building a one off unicycle.While I have spent a lot of hours on my guni I have also found great satisfaction in seeing its completion.

My completed guni came up alright with a coat of paint,job done.

:astonished: respect

It looks really nice, did you weld a sprocket to your axle? also, could you get a picture from the front? I’d like to see how you managed to get 2 chains on 1 side of the frame

Cheers,

Dustin

Very cool!

I would have used a 20mm Thru axel hub with 6 bolt rotor mount to fix the cog to. Then figure out something to fix a cog to the spindle. While using the same overhead transmission kind of assembly you have there.

Very good job! Congratulations on designing and building it, and making it actually work.

Thats pretty god damn impressive.

well done that is cool, :astonished: i was thinkin about making on but dont have the time or money at the moment, good way of doing it though well done

Dude, that is so awesome on so many levels…

Homemade gear drive unicycle

Anybody looked at the shaft drive bicycle from Dynamic Bicycles? I wonder if the 8 speed planetary geared rear axle in that thing could be rigged to “run solid”. Think about it, an 8 speed uniycle with shaft drive.
I’ve been riding one of the bikes off and on for about two years but never have looked at the way the rear axle is rigged for coasting to see if it could be rigged “solid”. The geared rear axle is made by Shimano.

Congrats on the successfull completion!

Love the paint job. If the parts were newish it may have even looked like a production run:) :roll_eyes: :slight_smile:

Me too.:o

Here a few new shots.Also there are photos of guni dismantled in earlier posts in this thread.