Hi from PA in USA

Kathryn here from Pennsylvania USA. I got a Nimbus 24" muni in early November, and have more or less gotten down riding, turning, and free mounting. I do not get every freemount, but it is definitely coming along. I got the freemount early on, but in a could then couldn’t pattern. So instead of drilling myself on it, I just let it come to me more easily as I have gotten better generally, and that is working well. Lately I have been enjoying going without interruption and so started to do 2 two miles rides a day, one continuous bike path ride in the afternoon and a 2 mile laps in laps around my local library in the evening after dark. Both have minor hills and minor bumps to keep me learning. A strong leftie, I have to make a point to work on my right turning, but it’s coming. I have also tried sidewalks with the various bumps and other little challenges. I also started to go on the faster side. The past few days, the combination has given me some saddle tenderness in the frontal area, lol, not serious, but want to nip it in the bud, starting with a two-day-at-least rest. I have the (Nimbus stadium) saddle in the middle position, and am going to move it so that it tilts up more (I think it was Josh at unicycle.com that suggested this) in the front, and encourages me to stay on my sit bones (which are not sore at all). Also in the beginning to learn to ride at all I had to drill in my head to put weight in the saddle, and I think it is time to dial that back a bit, as possible. Going faster makes me sit more aggressively (more pressure on front bit, lol), and so I am going to tweak my time spent for the next little while to more noodling riding, maybe try tighter turns and let myself stop and start MUCH more, lol, less continuous! I am not sure if ultimately I will end up on trail-trails or not (PA is UBER rocky!), but could not resist the muni. If I do it will prolly be smooth trails, or just state forest roads. MAYBE if I get really good control in speed, turns, and placement, and I can do moderate trails slowly, then that could be very cool. I cannot wait to try it on wet sand by ocean surf, but that will be a one off and many months away. But I do not mind the tread when turning at all on pavement, in fact I like it, But come spring if I am still as into this and my crotch is under control, lol, and it is available, I may spring for the 32" nimbus to explore my interest in speed and desire to put in miles. I have also recently just started working on bunny hops and idling, mostly in the beginning and end of a session at good propping areas just to keep feeling them out. I have watched a fair bit of videos (I LOVE the New Zealand ones by Chris), but I also draw from how I learned the various techniques of whitewater kayaking and how I learned that all (muscle memory, etc). Learning to free mount reminds me so much of learning to roll a kayak. Not super keen on backwards yet, prolly after/as/if/when I get my idling down. I may try again out of seat riding (wasn’t ready last time I tried, whoa, lol). Anyway, my muni is my closest pandemic “bud” and I love it. As someone who hates attention, it is weird to be seen about and get a lot from almost everyone. But on the other hand it seems to inspire people and if it gives the message to people to “keep moving” that is a message I am happy to spread. END :slightly_smiling_face:.

6 Likes

Good on you Kathryn! Sounds like you have made great progress in just 2 months. The world is your oyster. Love to see more female riders :slight_smile:

For saddles, I think the KH fusion freeride is the best. Maybe try that!

Also, try some riding on grass too. It’s also a challenge!

1 Like

Welcome from another new rider also started In September myself, so I have no advice but this is a great place with a lot of information.

1 Like

Weird, I replied earlier, but it wasn’t in this reply area, so I made another in the reply area in case I did it wrong before, and deleted the other, and it seems to have deleted both. I mainly wrote thank, Gockie. I have heard good things abt the KH saddles, and that’s good to know abt that particular one. Also I will try riding on grass soon. Thanks for the welcome!

Weird, I replied earlier, but it wasn’t in this reply area, so I made another in the reply area in case I did it wrong before, and deleted the other, and it seems to have deleted both. I am 55 years old, I had a unicycle when I was around 10, but rode very short distances, more played with and on it. I started working on unicycle riding last October on an older sun type 24" a friend gave me and then got my 24" Nimbus in November. Thanks for asking! I am writing this in the reply area to you, but now I am seeing how it works, it will be spit out in this section in list form, not under yours as a reply which is fine, just not expected.

Omg. 55 and fast progress. Go you!

1 Like

Thanks, but progress wasn’t as fast as I wanted the first few weeks, lol! In the beginning I could go for a short bit, but it didn’t segue into actually riding. Trudging through that period wasn’t super fun, some of the many short sessions had glimmers of hope and some did not, and through it I thought it would be/should be easier. I was slow to get the weight in saddle thing, stacking my core was a little more intuitive (esp because a distinct forward lean sufficed as a starting point), but coaxing my hips and legs to loosen came last, and when I get out of my comfort zone they will stiffen right up if I let them. Still learning, but now it is much more rewarding!

I still think you are doing brilliantly :slight_smile:
The aims of being able to hop and idle are good ones. Just know, if it takes you 2 years or even longer to be able to idle, it’s not unusual at all, so don’t feel bad if you don’t get it quickly. Idling is about feel and knowing which way the wheel wants to go.

Hopping is much faster/takes far fewer hours to learn imo.
Good luck!

So far so good, yesterday was v promising. I’ve begun to work on the right side as well , some fiddling too w horizontal idle. I wasn’t going to work on my offside but my reading on the board on that subject has encouraged me to do both, and it makes me realize that I am making progress on my dominant side. I am definitely not going to be in the two year to never group, but when it comes it comes. But whenever I stop to rest at a good horizontal support as I do on both ends of one of my circuits I am doing a series of idling related movements.

1 Like

Great. A tip. Consistently using a rollback mount should also help you with learning to idle! Best of luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome From western pa. If you want to ride in and around Pittsburgh or laurel Highlands let me know.

1 Like

We may be opposites, lol. I am finding that am drawn to still points more than what is involved in a roll-back freemount, which I read about and viewed videos of early on, but never worked for me. My freemount for instance now that it is almost-rock-solid entails a point of stillness at the top, and never a backroll. I did have to get quite a bit of forward riding time before I could handle/finesse that top pause, but now I quite like it. I will get acquainted and fully explore with what you’re describing, definitely! and soon, but probably after I work with what it is either a strength or at least a comfort zone involved with still balance points. I also like exploring them in the idle. BTW, I put these bits of detail (here and for ex “what was hard for me in the beginning” in a previous post), in part as a response to you, but even moreso for ppl who are also learning in case it is of interest or possibly helpful to them. Esp in case there is someone who learns often differently than others as I seem to. Thanks so much for the tips and encouragement!

Thanks, that would be very cool. I LOVE both those places. Wait, uhoh, both are v hilly! I will have to get much better. Not sure if I will ever be good at (or interested in) hard trails, but we’ll see. Thanks for reaching out.

Look at the great allganey passage and pittsburg heritage trails I ride them often an are flat and sight inclines keep practicing a d you can ride anywhere

1 Like

Yep. What works for someone might not work as well for another. Just see what others suggest and figure out what works for you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

We live in. A great state for outdoor recreation. Keep practicing , push your boundaries and enjoy what PA had to offer.

1 Like

Here is a recent horizontal idling discussion thread. Not an easy skill.

Congrats on your solid static mount. Welcome to the forum!

1 Like

I checked it out, and thanks for the welcome!

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.