Hi from Australia

When Ed Pratt did his unicycle tour didn’t he just ride anywhere you would expect a bike to ride? I think he did get hassled in South Australia but that wasn’t because he was on a uni he probably would have got the same response if he was on a bike.

Has anyone really had any negative reactions from law enforcement from police while riding?

I was fortunate, while I lived in New York, to be able to ride several bridges and tunnels that were normally (very!) off-limits to bikes. Holland Tunnel, Brooklyn Battery Tunnel under the rivers, and, as part of the NYC 5-Boro Bike Tour, Queensboro Bridge and the Verrezano Narrows Bridge, where bikes took up all lanes on one level, with the cars on the other. :slight_smile:

Only when I was riding on private property…

Common sense generally prevails.

I doubt the police will be much bothered if you’re riding smoothly, confidently and thoughtfully on a 36er while decked out in a helmet and cycling gear and running decent lights. Bonus points if you have a bell and brake.

Where I live the the most concerning cycling behaviour is people riding (bikes) at night with no lights. That’s a real problem - they really are invisible sometimes.

I got kicked out of the Spring City Cycle by police for not wearing a helmet. I argued that by law we didnt have to and showed them the NSW Government transport website which said so but they wanted to see the legislation, then I argued and got banned from the area for 24 hours. I found the legislation later but didn’t have it on hand then.

The policeman went and looked up the legislation and called me back 3 days later and said I was correct that I didn’t have to wear a helmet but I was riding on roads with dividing lines, more than one lane etc. I still argued that it was a closed event so it was not a public road but he said it was and said he wasnt going to take it further but he could.

I call bullshit, it was a butthurt policeman trying to get his power back after he was wrong. if it was a public road technically every cyclist there was not obeying the road rules as they were riding 40 people abreast, small children, bikes with towbikes on the back and god knows what else. I think if I went to court over that I would win but wasn’t going to bother.

I haven’t done the cycle since because based on idiot police officer it is illegal for us to ride on the road despite being a closed event. I know a bunch of riders who have done it every year since as long as you wera a helmet they don’t care about you riding on the road. It’s the grey area and the fact that no one knows the rules.

I could however do the entire spring city cycle without a helmet riding on the footpath next to the road the cyclists ride on but I don’t want to encourage them to change that law so I wont stir the pot that much.

That sucks you had that argument with him, guess it’s a good idea to have a helmet just to avoid being hassled. Given the choice I’d rather not wear a helmet and that includes riding bikes.

Just took my 24 & 29 to my local BMX tracks to give it another shot. My riding has improved dramatically I can almost do a full circuit at one of the tracks. The other track I pulled off a full circuit on the 29. Last time I tried these was months ago and I was lucky to make it over 2 mounds in a row. Still leaves me absolutely knackered doing it but I’m faring much better.

Anyone else try out BMX tracks on their unis? I might have to go to the one in Bracken Ridge again might be able to do that one now.

After getting banned by one cop I ended back at the race start asking for a refund from the organisers. Another cop (assuming more senior by his more superior looking hat) had a go at me and I used a comeback that another unicyclist had used on security guards when they try to claim it is a bike.

Policeman: You need a helmet
Me: no it is a wheeled recreational device. By law you don’t need a helmet on it unlike a bike.
Policeman: it is a bike
Me: no it isnt
Policeman: yes it is
Me: can you ride a bike?
Policeman: yes
Me: handing unicycle to policeman here, ride this
Policeman: …well its more dangerous than a bike

Learning to ride within a year gives me hope to continue with my practicing Unigan, thanks.

NP it’s easier then you think, I was able to pretty much ride anywhere I wanted within a month, freemounting took a little longer another month I think? Which involved a couple of hours practise each day or so, you just need a little time for your brain to re wire and the magic will happen.

Others say anyone can learn to ride in 10-15hrs of total practise time and I’m inclined to agree as it took me a similar amount of time if I added it up.

That’s gold I gotta use that one, and the more dangerous then a bike? Yeah I disagree.

Love it!!

Well, after riding my 29 through part of the Royal National Park on a nice Sunday morning I don’t think anything pedaled there is safe, but a unicycle was just suicidal. Hard to hold the line along the narrow road’s edge, broken branches, camber and bumps pushing you into the flow of traffic, no emergency stopping other than UPD, and any UPD would mean you and/or unicycle going under the wheels of passing car and motorcycle hoons. Hoons you can’t see coming as turning the head can make you even less stable.

The unicycle itself is safer than a bike, so issues there, but the environment it is operating in must be considered.

Point taken I spose, I’ve gotten so used to my uni I can almost ride it everywhere I would ride a bike and even some places where I wouldn’t ride my bike. You are right about looking behind that is tricky to do and there are some rare occasions where I would come to a complete stop before crossing roads as I can’t see if there’s potentially a vehicle behind me.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.