Help - TA tire + Airfoil rim + weak arms = No Go.

The tube in my 36’’ Nimbus with a TA tire and Airfoil rim sprung a leak on a seam two weeks ago, and so I had to wait for my LBS to get some 29’’ tubes for me to try out. I don’t care about the weight so much as the cost :slight_smile: I bought three tubes, and inflated, powdered, and installed one of them. The only problem? I can’t get the tire on the rim. I can get all but about 7 inches of the bead into the rim - it just stops moving entirely once enough of it is on, and I’ve managed to break two tire tools trying to get it on (I know, you’re not supposed to use tools putting a 29’’ in a 36’’ rim, but I’m desperate here - I haven’t ridden it in 2 weeks!) Somehow, the magic people at the LBS were able to get the tire on without any tools, but that was only with the patched 36’’ tube, which, of course, didn’t work because the hole was on a seam. The LBS is closed for today, and I can’t wait until tomorrow! Any tips/advice/people who feel like driving to my house and doing it for me? :slight_smile:

There is a technique for this and U-turn had it pretty well described on his website. You might search for his postings here.
You just have to monkey with the tube inflation to get the majority of the tire bead to ride down in the deepest part of the rim when you are trying to get the last bit of tire on . . . and do this without damaging the tube. I use padded spring clamps that hold the tire down there.
B

Yeah, I’ve tried U-Turn’s technique - I still couldn’t get it on. BTW, I’ve got wide threaded strapping tape instead of a rim strip, so this should be easy, right?

IT LIVES!

It took nothing short of THREE borrowed tire levers, two rubber bands, and way too much time, but IT LIVES! I’m now running a 29’’ tube in my 36’’, and it’s wonderful - so much more responsive! That’s not why I did it though; now I’ve got a working 36’’ again!

Cool, just incase the tube causes a blowout, like in my case, use the popped tube as a rim strip to go tubeless. Use the search function to get details on how to do it. I’m not trying to be pessimistic, it’s just nice to have a plan B. Good luck.:slight_smile:

Yeah, I was going to go tubeless if the 3 tubes I bought didn’t work :slight_smile: I don’t have to yet though; I’ve still got 2 brand new tubes left, so I’ll let those break and then maybe I’ll try tubeless. I’ve already read up on it a lot, and I understand it completely now (I think) - it seems like a really awesome idea.

It sounds to me you didn’t have the wire bead in the center of the rim

I have done a bunch of knarly fat motorcycle tires, much harder than uni tires. Put them in the sun to make em big and soft. Then install with a brush of soapy water, and always, always kneel on the tire opposite of the part of the tire you are trying to lever on. You must squeeze the tire edge (the wire “bead” ) down into the center of the rim.

Having failed to do that and put the tire on with hard force, you might want to think again about going tubeless. Did your levers mark the rim? Where a tubeless tire must seal ?

Uni tires should go on and off like socks, if the wire beads are where they should be. Then be careful not to pinch the tube with the levers and you will be good with tires.:slight_smile:

With a 36’'? :stuck_out_tongue:

I haven’t had to mess with my 36 TA

It seems to wear like steel.

I guess what you are saying is the "kneel on one side of the tire " ,(to put the wire tire bead in the center of the rim) , while levering the 180 opposite side of the tire on, may be difficult with the 36 size and hub set up. Perhaps ! , I can’t say I have done it.

Yet I have total confidence that you just need to get the opposite side of the tire centered in the rim, to spoon it on easily. All tires are the same this way. There is an inflexible wire hoop inside the rubber that can’t be forced on, it must be centered into the deep part of the rim in order to be levered over the opposite side. Maybe try C clamps or carpenters clamps to smoosh the beads together.

Trust me on this one. You must have the tire sides in the center of the rim opposite of the side you are levering on. If anything, your arms and irons are to strong, you will damage rims and tires by improving them instead of your technique. :wink:

ive had to uses tools like these to put on some cyclo cross tires on a 29" rim
some go on easy some dont and ive never popped a tube. lke the guys above are saying it take patients

8r_sm.jpg

I have changed many different tyres including car and motorbike tyres as well as many different bike tyres over the years. I recently took the tyre off my 36 (a nimbus tyre and rim) and it was by far the hardest tyre I have ever touched.

I am not familiar with the airfoil rim but the nimbus rim doesn’t have a deep centre like car and motorbike rims so it is hard to find a low point to push the bead into. Add to that the bead itself is fairly tight on the rim and the 3 foot diameter and you are in for some wrestling. You also cannot readily stand on the other side of the tyre as the hub stops the wheel sitting flat. It took me 2.5 hours, 2 broken tyre levers and a lot of washing up liquid to fight the tyre back onto the rim

I decided that i would struggle to change the tyre during a ride so i went tubeless in the hope that it would be more reliable and lighter weight. So far I am very happy with this decision.

classic into the blue again just pricless classic humour of urs

as for this thread i have muscled many tyres on and off rims these have gone from 10 inch to 26 to other various things