Have you seen the lunicycle?

Haqreu, this is how Inventis.Inc describe the Lunicycle :

"Let’s face it: unless you’re a circus performer, learning to ride a unicycle is hard. Sure, we understand the attraction ”“ who wouldn’t want their hands free while riding? You know, for juggling your keys, phone, briefcase and latte. But it takes months or even years to master a traditional unicycle. That’s why we invented the Lunicycle.

The Lunicycle is pedal-powered, but with the center of gravity low to the ground so that even the klutzy can experience the fun. The specially-designed leg supports add stability and decrease your learning time; as you lean against the supports, your body balances naturally. The pedals are set lower so it’s easier and safer to ride ”“ just step on and off."

When I read that I was very sceptical and I still am. It is actually funny to read. An ultimate wheel is extremely difficult to learn, but now that I can, I’ve become very interested in trying out a lunicycle. Like John said not many people have bought these and they were invented well before I even got into unicycling. I think I’m lucky that I still can get my hands on one. They are only 99$ (84 EUR), much cheaper than a UW.

I don’t intend to do competitions with an Ultimate Wheel. I just want to be able to go short tours on it without getting as out of breath as I do now. A lunicycle might be less tiring, even though you still stand on just your legs, but balancing also takes energy. As for competition riding a bigger wheel is always faster than riding a smaller wheel, so I would always choose a 28" UW over a 20" lunicycle (John is there a wheel size limit in the IUF rule book for a UW competition?)

[/I]

They imply the Lunicycle will be much easier to learn than a unicycle. So I am skeptical as well. But that’s ad copy. Bullshit is assumed. I think I have tried some home-made ultimate wheels with leg supports, but can’t remember the details. Also, they would not have had lower pedals and oval wheels, so it would be less different than the Lunicycle.

Off the top of my head, I think it’s been treated as an “unlimited” race. Because it’s “limited” by number of participants. This probably would not be the case at a Unicon in Europe, but I don’t know when (or if) the last UW race at a Unicon was held. Most of us can’t afford to bring specialty unicycles unless we’re driving or sharing large vehicles/trailers! :slight_smile: With more participants, it would have to be divided by wheel size and/or age, depending on who/what shows up. I think I’ve seen UW races mostly at our Nationals (NAUCC)…

From Easiest to Hardest:

1.) Bicycle
2.) Unicycle
3.) Unicycle with no seat

Let’s just see when I get it. A lunicycle should at least be easier than a UW. I will also let my daughter try who doesn’t ride unicycle. The balance point is different between a uni with seat and one without. and the lunicycle keeps it even lower, like on a skateboard or waveboard.

I can’t believe I am the only one on this forum who actually bought one.

I would like to have it, but it’s a bit expensive. Lunicycle is only $49, but shipping to Norway is $100, and on top of that 25% vat, and then usually $20 fee to the shipping company, amounts to $206.

It cost me 99$ for the lunicycle and 70$ for the shipping. I don’t really care. I want it, so I’m gonna have it.