Harbinger "Street" wrist guards

Basically the Harbinger “Street” wrist guard is a half-fingered glove that is fixed securely in place by wrapping a broad leather strap around the wrist and securing it with a long Velcro patch. Integrated in the design is a resilient plastic splint that protrudes from the handpalm, while towards the arm it continues all the way till the end of the leather for added support. The inside of the hand is all leather, with additional leather reinforcement where it matters. The outside of the hand is a medium-tight woven elastic type of fabric. It breathes the sweat away but offers little protection - I haven’t yet needed any protection on the outside though.

The gloves impose some restriction on the movements of the hands, but they allow me to securely grip the handle of my Velo KH seat without discomfort. It might even ADD comfort due to the leather in between, effectively softening the edge of the handle. Also, I can easily dig up a handkerchief from my cycle short’s little pocket and blow my nose, if I want to be civilised on the trail. The only thing that is difficult is to look at my wrist watch - but it goes under the wrist wrap just fine.

This gear is very well made IMHO. With my hand in its natural position it fits so precisely as if it was cast around my very hand. In the photo you see some large wrinkles on the outside but that is because I twist my hand because I had to make the photo myself. After seven months of moderately intense use there is some wear, they may be through 25% of their lifetime (rough estimate).

Of course, wrist guards are primarily about PROTECTION. Well I can say, they have saved my wrists (and palms) on several occasions. I remember the first big rescue they did was when I cranked up a steep and rocky trail. I thought my top pedal was over the dead spot and started pushing it down at full force. But something held up the wheel and all of that pushing power went backwards. The uni shot from under me at lightning speed! Instinctively I stretched my arms to the ground and the Harbingers did their work. Some scratches on the plastic were the only proof that the event happened.

I give them a 9 out of 10.

PS I don’t see the photos in the preview. They are also available as:
<www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/full.jpg>
<www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/inside.jpg>
<www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/outside.jpg>

Klaas Bil

I wish Harbinger had a full finger glove version rather than just the half finger style. I like full finger glove protection for muni to keep my finger tips from getting all scraped up.

I bought the Harbingers a few weeks ago and can second the recomendation. I find them more comforable and have a little more range of motion than “clam shell” Roller-Blade type wrist guards.

For hopping with Vello, Miyata, or Viscount saddles, or Reeder handle I found they did not interfere at all.

The only down side is I cannot wear my watch underneath the wrist wrap. Too uncomforable for me. But then again, when riding I should just forget about the time anyway.

I got my long awaited Harbinger Wrist Wrap gloves last week. So far I am really impressed with these wrist protectors. They are really comfortable, far and away more so than the usual in line skate wrist guards that I have used in the past.

Also, I thought I would be disappointed that the ‘gloves’ are not full fingered but actually they provide a lot of coverage and I don’t mind having the very ends of my fingers exposed as it gives me a little more dexterity when doing fine movements, like trying to pull open the velcro on the back pockets of my cycling shorts!

All in all, so comfortable that I forget I am even wearing them and that’s a good sign for me as I am more likely to wear protective gear that does the job without drawing much attention to itself.

And, as mentioned by Unibrier, the gloves don’t interfere with the seat handle. If you can spare the cash for these gloves, I think you won’t be disappointed by their design or function.

Erin