Guni Suspension, New plans

You’ve mentioned using a spring and/or using a shock. Keep in mind these two components serve two separate purposes.

A spring is a device that allows compression but provides a force to counteract that compression… that is, you can squeeze a spring but it’ll fight that squeeze and return to its original length once you stop squeezing.

A shock is a device that limits the speed at which compression occurs… if you squeeze a shock slowly you’ll have no problem, but if you try to squeeze it very quickly, it will resist (but not prevent) the squeezing motion.

Both springs and shocks are used as suspension, usually in combination… you’d never see a shock by itself, though, as it doesn’t do any work to restore it’s position once squeezed.

As for your tensioner, I’d recommend against using any kind of shock. As others have said, you need maximum tension in your chain and a shock will allow some slack to develop.

just wait for me to upload more pics

^^^
Any news?

I just read an article (Design News, Sept 2004) on the computer controlled suspension system of the Adidas 1 running shoe. W/ enough development this is something that could possibly help w/ Munis (addmitedly would probably require a large development budjet and IMO only be benefitial after a working design has already been developed).

Hmm. Well, ive gotten back aroudn to this project. I’ve reworked my plans, making it far lighter, and far smaller. I will not release the plans, until i have the prototype finished.

For serious guys, it simplifies it a lot, and will be used SPECIFICALLY for Muni, or Distance.

I was going to sleep last night, and thought back to it, and had a serious to god ‘Eureka’ moment. I decided i wanted to have a small drawing of it, so i wouldnt forget it, and wrote it on my wall lol.

Considering the need for less parts, i should have it done before a muni ride i plan to make with a friend. I’ll shoot video of it, and take pics of it. Only things i need are:

29’’ Muni, or a uni, anything for now will do (if you have one, that your willing to sell for under $100, and its worth it, contact me)

Some sort of shocs.

Gears, and chain.

edit: It’ll work to what I planned it to work for, and also keep the cranks centered over the axel a little, not giving it a ‘recumbrant unicycle’ look to it. It also will have, hopefully, 3’’ of leeway for suspension, which should give ample space, and ample comfort for good smooth riding. The system will weigh a few pounds, for the moment, but, its EXTREMELY small and compact compared to my other plans.

In otherwords, its gonna be worth the wait people :slight_smile:

Think I can live with that :slight_smile:

Thanks for the mental image though :astonished:

Yep, that’s all I need to make a Guni, too. What a coincidence! :roll_eyes:

lol.

and jeremy, why’ed you bring this to the top?

Suspension or seatpost?

Ok, It works, but I like your chained version.
Can I build it to see if that works?

I’m not going to lie. Those scare me, lobby.

If you put the suspension in the legs, how will you keep the side working in concert (together)? Suspenion at the crown would be easier, but then the previous pictures pretty much worked that plan…

I will have to agree with some of the posters, suspension is really not an issue. If I’m riding over rough terrain, then I “post” on my pedals, so I’m off the seat enough to keep from being uncomfortable. Suspension really wouldn’t help me that much since I can be off the seat easy enough.

I supposed a suspension seat post might be worth a try, but only a larger wheel like a 29 or 36, I don’t need it for muni since the ride doesn’t bother me now. For muni, the tire is your suspension. They do make bigger tires…

holly crap, those things look like they are from starwars or something. The bigger one might be fun to bomb down a mountain on plowing over absolutely everything, just not jumping at all. and probably some shorter cranks to go with that brake.

I say you go for it, cause it seems like the OP lost interest.

True Suspension

Hey, Just a Question people? It looks like my frames are just fancy seat posts with 4" of travel.

The benifit is great long distance off road comfort, and with drops you land on the cranks and tire anyways, but the seat stays between your legs and the shock does its job. When you land the frame telescopes inline with the axle and absorbs the shock. comfort and control.

But UNIBIKELING has it right, the length from seat to pedals must remain the same. The wheel must be suspended seperately from the frame. I like this concept alot and Hugos posting has a real solution.

I need to make one, Do you think?

Go for it, give credit where credits due man. Nice frame things, look fun to ride.

thats what i thouht, cool look though

… Dont speak for me every again jer.

Yeah, the whole idea is to have the tire travel freely. Ive actually created another design this summer that tops everything off, making everything tiny, compact, and easier to make. It also is flawless to what i can think of, all problems i shoot at my idea are shot down by how its going to be affixed. I’ll produce it in the coming few weeks, i just need a unicycle to build it on. If anyone has a cheap 29’er i would gladly buy it.

You can make one from my plans, but just give credit dude. Otherwise, knock yourself out in the attempt to make it, it should work, but its gonna weigh like 50lbs easy. My new design also cuts down weight to a manageable amount. But, those plans arent going to be released.

True Suspensions

Most Cool, Now if I hear from HUGO