5 hour mark now.
The plan to mount with support and go forward without any support didn’t go as well as I would have hoped. Every time, have a turn and down in about 5’. I made 10’ a couple of times but it just wasn’t ‘clicking’.
Went back to my wall for a bit and noticed that I could use the support for about 5-10’ and then I could go without support sometimes. On Tuesday I made maybe a few runs of 10’, and a couple of 20’.
I set a goal for 30’, but never got there.
Last night I started mounting with my non-dominant foot every other attempt as an experiment, that seems to have helped a bit. Last night when I went out it seemed to go well, probably 2/3 of my attempts I was getting to the 10-15’ mark, with a few of them going to 20’. I’m getting close to outgrowing my patio, it’s probably about 40’ long so hopefully soon I’ll have to find another spot!
One thing that seems to help is a thing I do for golf. When you set up for a golf swing you need to get yourself lined up, so I count the number of things I need to do as a setup procedure. (1) Feet square, (2) knees slightly bent, (3) firm grip, (4) chin up, (5) etc… I actually count them out before my swing, it keeps things consistant.
I’ve started to do those things with the uni. (1) mount foot centered, (2) sit straight up, (3) head high, (4) find something to look at in the distance, (5) arms out for balance, (6) other foot on the uni, (7) lean slightly forward, (8) go! So when I get on the uni i’ll count, 1… 2… 3… 4… 5… 6… 7… 8…!
Still on the lookout for that one big run, but I’m definitely getting a little more consistant on the shorter runs. I’ve found myself correcting myself a little bit instead of falling.