Giraffe Unicycle for Travel - whats the best

Hi I am looking for a giraffe unicycle 5 to 6 foot ideally, (but would consider taller), that breaks down so it could fit into a suitcase, that ideally has a 16 inch wheel and that is very lightweight (the one i use now is 6.6kg) - used for uni jump rope.
Any ideas, please help

hi there i think this is what your looking for if you read the duscription it was made for you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: its a 20" but a 16" could be fitted no trouble

http://www.unicycle.uk.com/unicycles-1/giraffe/5-7-nimbus-performer-giraffe.html

I have this one and it is a right goodie! http://www.unicycle.com/unicycles/giraffes-tall/nimbus-performer-series-convertible-giraffe-only-2-left.html/
Shug

I have the Nimbus performer giraffe, suggested by the prvious posts.

It breaks down easily, but the greasy chains are a nuisance when assembling!

Apart from that its a brilliant bit of kit.

Slightly off topic, is there a grease free chain out there that works?

Nasher

I cleaned the most grease off of my chain with a de-greaser.

ok, 2 new products arrived for this giraffe today.

1. a 16" wheel kit!

2. plastic chain guard that covers the whole chain.

Keep an eye on our new product section. We should get them online tomorrow.

Roger

I like the new giraffe with the super fatty tire! :smiley:

We have just put the 16" Nimbus giraffe wheelset on the website:

wheelset16Giraffe-500.jpg

Is that axle entirely semetric (as in: two bolted on sprockets)?

The hub is the same as is used on the Nimbus Performer giraffe. It is a symmetrical design. Although I can not guarantee that the holes for the plate sprocket are opposite to each other as this does not matter for the giraffes as the sprockets on the cranks are not symmetrical and you need to tune the sprockets to match, this is why we have multiple holes on the sprockets.

If you’ll ever make a next batch, please name them v2 and do make them symmetric;
I don’t expect giraffe cranks from the flourishing fixie industry, but your own chainwheels already would allow for a symmetrical top when using the single BMX spareout.

Anyway, very nice! I trust bolted sprockets much better than threaded ones.

I’m currently on Pichler’s 125mm/28t, he has both threaded as bolted (in that same size), so I placed the hub on my wishlist.

Leo,

I wonder if we are talking about different symmetry… you are talking about symmetry along the spindle for the sprocket bolt holes on the hub?

These hubs have been part of the Nimbus Performer Giraffe for the last 16 years when they first came out. They are an off the shelf part (but an unusual one!). They are a double front disc brake hub with an standard bike spindle… super rare combination. Changing these is not possible and not sensible as the problem is not with the hubs, but with the crank sets. They are not set symmetrically, so if we went to the trouble of making the hub holes line up symmetrically; that will not help the system at all as they wont match the cranks. This is why we use sprockets with multiple holes to allow you to tune the double chain system.

I agree about the bolts rather than screw sprockets. Screw ones are just not safe on giraffes in my opinion.

Roger

> Screw ones are just not safe on giraffes in my opinion.
>
And for that reason I consider your hub as the best giraffe hub currently available.
Anything below is just a request to push improvement even further.
Maybe to elaborate, but I thought worth to consider.

> super rare combination.
>
Yes! As 6 bolt disk-brake-sprockets are not unusual in the fixie land, and flip-flop hubs are common, I expected them to came up with dual disk-brake hubs already. But so far I’m surprised I still never saw one there. For them it’s more about compatibility than safety.

> I wonder if we are talking about different symmetry
>
I mean having the 6 holes parallel to the 6 holes on the other side.

> Changing these is not possible
>
Well… in reality the one displayed can still be drilled with a .001 mm precision.
But the cost will be unreasonable, so I suggested to do so on a future batch.

> problem is not with the hubs, but with the crank sets. They are not set symmetrically, so if we went to the trouble of making the hub holes line up symmetrically
>
Yes, I’m aware of that. And those two ends exists of two parts, so the “problem” is not at 2 but 4 places:

1] The 6 holes in the hub should be parallel to each side
(Since the 36 spoke holes needs to be correctly aligned with an offset on each side, I don’t see why the 6 holes can’t be aligned parallel)

2] One teeth of the lower chainwheels should be aligned with 1 of the 6 holes

3] One teeth of the upper chainwheels should be aligned with the BMX hole and so also with one 6 holes OR 5 holes.

4] The cranks should have that male BMX thingy OR one the 6 holes aligned with the crank OR have 5 legs.

So, none of them are impossible to solve problems.
I understand maybe none of the 4 above requirements can be reached yet, but keep it in mind when producing new batches in the future, as it would be nice to get a double chain perfect without any effort, even if you change the number of teeth on one or both ends.

> … that will not help the system at all as they wont match the cranks.
> This is why we use sprockets with multiple holes to allow you to tune the double chain system.
>
And that’s why my suggestion wont harm anything, but already brings it a step closer.

If you need any .step or .iges then I gladly help you on that.