Giraffe experiences, questions, and giraffe tech thread

Very cool!

Yeah, that is a cool video. Before it was posted, I had searched You Tube for 26" giraffe unicycles, but found nothing.

To me it seems that a larger wheel would be safer than a high gear ratio if you wanted to go fast on a giraffe because it would allow you to roll over stuff more easily. I have only ridden conventional giraffes, and only a few times, but I did notice that even small bumps could be a problem. A larger wheel diameter might help, but I don’t think a higher gear ratio would!

I figured that out from watching your video, and possibly from my own memories of riding my geared up Schwinn back in the day, and maybe another geared giraffe or two in between. It seems to make sense about the wheel not tracking straight when you’re trying to pedal through a turn, and the smaller the wheel, possibly the more noticeable the effect.

I imagine the main difference on a 36" giraffe would be the (much) heavier wheel, plus being about 8" higher up compared to a 20" wheel. I think it would ride really funny for most of us, since we’ve never done it.

The Schwinn Giraffes were made with space for a 24" wheel in the A-frame, and I’ve seen a few around. I think not big enough for a 26" though.

Nice! Looks like a great giraffe for Muni! But as far as snow is concerned, you’re not getting your money’s worth from that tire…

My brother made some home movies of me on my Giraffe in our icy street (back in 1980 or 81). I think the stock Schwinn whitewall stuck about as good as that fat tire! That was super-8 and I have a VHS conversion; someday I want to get that converted to digital…

Absolutely. Downside is that a bigger wheel weighs more. Generally, smart people don’t ride giraffes on bumpy surfaces. :slight_smile:

No! :slight_smile: This is my friend Andrey.

Andrey built the frame himself. Some photos of giraffe building are on his page in social network VKONTAKTE.

It’s an amazing giraffe!

And your friend Andrey seems to have pretty cool stuff like what looks like a 29" (or is it a 36"?) ultimate wheel!

Those UWs are great, and LOVE the Oregon giraffe! Andrey is a talented fellow! :slight_smile:

I love Andrey’s video because it demonstrates perseverance, then success. To me, that is one of the common threads all unicyclists share.

Which one to buy

I rode a 5 footer a couple days ago. Very cool. Gotta have one. What is the best quality/features/brand/size to buy. I’m only getting one…or two… Seriously, single chain ? Double ? Thx jeff c

I don’t think there is much wrong with any of them if you’re just going to be riding around a bit on it. If you’re going to be spending lots of hours performing (or just dropping it lots!) then you might want to get a heavier duty one. Personally I own a Nimbus twin chain, but that’s just because it’s what came up for sale s/h - I’d have happily bought a single chain one. I’ve ridden single chains, and not sure there’s a huge difference in riding, though presumably the twin chain balances things a bit more and prevents twisting, plenty of people happily riding single chains. The downside of the twin chain is that it’s a bit heavier.

Seeing as this thread has popped up, it seems the appropriate place for my query - I’m trying one footed idling on my giraffe, but not sure where to put my spare foot as there is no crown. Has anybody put grip tape on the front of the main tube to rest their foot against, or even added a peg to put your foot on?

Foot Rest

Never tried it, but maybe something like this:

I think it would fold up out of the way when not in use.

For giraffe idling, we used to just put the non-pedaling foot on the side of the frame. Turn your foot so your shoe bottom is flat against the seat tube (your body will figure out the most comfortable-ish position). That’s good for learning, but if you are doing it for an audience, better to have that foot sticking out, which makes the trick look harder. Then if you get really good, stack a bunch of cups or bowls on your foot, and kick them up onto your head. That’s a “traditional” act done in Chinese acrobatic shows. :slight_smile:

cupkick.JPG

Thanks - don’t need to make it any harder than it is already! I’d tried putting the shoe sole against the seat tube and that seemed to be OK, but not all that secure, hence the thoughts of grip tape - so I might just try that.