getting on rails

just wondering how does kris and the rest of your trials riders get onto rails i see videos of people riding rail (like kris in nwd2) and always wonder how people get up there…

just wondering

Aaron

Re: getting on rails

While watching Kris (and others) ride the handrails at Mt. Si High School I
saw them pedal grab the rail then from there to rubber on the rail. It was
interesting (awe-inspiring) to watch. On one attempt Kris missed the rail
ever so slightly and the wheel dropped between the double rails. Kris went
to the ground but the uni was left perched atop the rail. I find it
particularly amazing that there aren’t more injuries from this type of
activity. It certainly looks dangerous.

-mg

“Unispin” <Unispin.d39aa@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:Unispin.d39aa@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> just wondering how does kris and the rest of your trials riders get onto
> rails i see videos of people riding rail (like kris in nwd2) and always
> wonder how people get up there…
>
> just wondering
>
> Aaron
>
>
> –
> Unispin - The Next Dan Heaton (Kinda)
>
> Well, he is mean-spirited; it comes from not blinking, -Scott Kurland on
> why Sendhair is so mean
>
> yes i used the friken “search”
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Unispin’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1026
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/21246
>

he puts his pedal on a single rail then swing his uni up…

I’ve only seen it done with people clinging on to signposts and the like while getting on, then riding along.

Phil, just me

I watched the rail mounting as well at Mt. Si High School. I’d seen video clips of the move on the internet but it was unbelieveable to watch in person. I like Harper’s once-upon-a-time quote from Jerry Gruss, “Just because Kris H. can do it doesn’t mean it’s possible.”

Bruce

Kris is the only person I’ve seen do a pedal grab on a rail and then go from the pedal grab to the tire on the rail. The other way to get started (other than to cheat and hold a sign post or a friends arm) is to stand on the rail like it’s a tight rope and freemount the uni right on the rail.

It’s a shame that all of the videos that I’ve seen of riding on a rail don’t show the mount to get started.

how wide are these rail?

Another exception is shown in Universe when Adam Ryznar (I think) hops sideways onto a handrail then rides it down. To me an amazing feat.

John,

I’ve got video (Hi-8) tape of Kris at Mt. Si High School but I don’t have the means to convert it to any other format. I would love to share our video with the unicycling community but can’t at the moment. We’re thinking about getting a new computer for Christmas so we’ll see if that will allow me to do what I’d like with the video.

Bruce